• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Bed Bug Spray

Think this will work and should it now be on the manditory packing list for all trips; land and sea?

http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/insect_control_supplies.htm#steri

Thanks- my DH has been a little worried about these little critters- and I had read there was nothing really available to spray (like Raid). Friends of ours swore they were being bitten on our last cruise- we were fine, but they had little red bite marks.

Can't hurt to spray everything down ASAP.

Not 100% because I couldn't see what exactly toxins are used, but it looks like the active ingredient is good ole rubbing alcohol (ISOPROPANOL).

Spraying any pest control products in an enclosed space may be EXTREMELY dangerous for not just you, but others in areas that share the same ventilation system.

Thanks- my DH has been a little worried about these little critters- and I had read there was nothing really available to spray (like Raid). Friends of ours swore they were being bitten on our last cruise- we were fine, but they had little red bite marks.

Can't hurt to spray everything down ASAP.

I vote if you want to spray "everything down" at your house, fine.

Please don't spray down my cabin with insectaside, approved by the EPA.

The cruiseline really needs to get a handle on this problem before good intentions of us, have bad consequesces to others.

Many people have allergies, so gotta give ya a thumbs down on this one.

Plus, who knows what's in this stuff they're selling online??

EPA does have LOTS OF RECALLS:(

How do you know you're not buying something you can get OTC at home? Anyone can post anything on the web!! I don't want anyone spraying my cabin -- I have really sensitive skin and don't want the chemicals lingering....I'll take my chances with the bed bugs. I've been on many past cruises and I've never seen one -- or known anyone that has (not to say things don't happen sometimes -- so please don't remind me about the lady that was bitten recently -- I know). Just saying that I'll take my chances!:)

I am smuggling the 'ol Elmer Fudd mode of wodent ewadication onboard.

:D

Not really, humanity has lived with bugs, will continue to do so....and perhaps dang the bald eagles and bring back ddt.:eek:

That is the kind of thing that will happen. It will sound good until we realize "all of a sudden" it throws the flora or fauna into a tailspin and we have another outcry of "HOW COULD something like this happen?"

Just a thought....I know I don't want to be bitten, but hey I have been before (not by bedbugs) but will probably also be again.

Now then, my proviso is that if I am infested I want to be the first to start a thread talking about how invasive the infestation is!

Later and have fun

I wouldn't buy it or spray anything either. I too have sensitive skin and can't even be at home when my house is being cleaned.

I think if everybody starts taking it upon themselves to "spray for bugs" instead of the cruiseline itself making a concerted effort to eradicate them, it's just going to make the problem worse not better. So you spray and your room's safe for now, but it's just going to push the bugs into the next room, plus eventually those bugs are going to become resistant to whatever is being sprayed if it isn't totally effective the first time.

I think the bed bug hysteria in these forums is out of control. :(

jc

You're probably right. Still, there was an article in our local newspaper this morning about how bed bugs are again becoming a problem in many parts of the US. That's why this thread caught my interest. I've certainly never had a problem with BB's on any cruise - or any other vacation for that matter. I guess it's just one more thing to "keep on our radar." Sheesh! Mid East war, gas prices, Bird Flu and now Bed Bugs!!! How soon can my cruise get here? Take me away!!! :D

Elf

I sure wouldn't want to be sleeping in a bed that's been saturated with insecticide! I would think the bug bites (if indeed there ARE any!) would be safer than lying on and breathing Raid for 7-9 hours at a stretch! If you do see evidence of bed bugs, call your room attendant and get a new mattress brought in! Please don't spray poisons where other's (including children) will be sleeping!

Good grief! I have been on 4 cruises and never had any issues with bed bugs! Sand fleas bite and considering most people do go to beaches. . . . . might lead one to belive they may be the culprit. Not trying to be insensitive but if you are that freaked about it bring your own linens and plastic mattress cover.

As to sprays, you are potentially causing a health hazard to others who have respiratory issues even if you spray your cabin, it does go through the vents.

My belief is, if you are that squeamish about bugs don't go travel!

If you must use something, your best bet is a permethrin based insecticide. These are sold everywhere from Wal-Mart to REI. Usually you will find them marketed as anti-headlice sprays for bedding and clothes, and other times as general camping supplies for use against all insects. Permethrin itself is not good for people, but the quantities in these products is usually in the fraction of one percent. Still plenty to off a lot of bugs and these are approved for use on fabrics that come into contact with skin.

That said, I will take my chances. If I wind up chewed up by these, the cruise line will make it right, or I will get my pound of flesh from them. They should be taking care of the problem, not waiting for their guests to take matters into their own hands.

That said, I will take my chances. If I wind up chewed up by these, the cruise line will make it right, or I will get my pound of flesh from them. They should be taking care of the problem, not waiting for their guests to take matters into their own hands.

and with that said its been 8 days and I have no response from RCCL.. I have spoken to many people (documented) and keep being told the right department will contact me... well I tried today and still no real response has been received......will try again tomorrow.. I have many many phone calls, sent a letter, and also several emails... still waiting for a reply:(

unless YOU happen to be the one bitten extensively...and I can assure it is NO FUN... so how can you say the forums are out of control? Better to be educated than eaten alive like I was:(

So Beary, would you use this spray or not?

So Beary, would you use this spray or not?

as a nurse, I would not use the products because there are many who have allergies and respiratory conditions that could cause a much more severe reaction then if they were to be bitten by bed bugs if they have the same bad luck I did...

and with that said its been 8 days and I have no response from RCCL.. I have spoken to many people (documented) and keep being told the right department will contact me... well I tried today and still no real response has been received......will try again tomorrow.. I have many many phone calls, sent a letter, and also several emails... still waiting for a reply:(

While I fully respect your upbeat attitude about all this, you are being far nicer than I would be. By now I would have a lawyer contacting them. They screwed up and they know it. That is why they are running from you.

Phew; the broken trail of crumbs was hard to find you again, Beary! I was so hoping you'd gotten some resolution today. Personally, I'd be calling each day and asking for the next person up the food chain over there. As I said before, they can scan those logs, so what's the delay? Hang in there and I hope it's getting better.

I got some sort of (single) bite in the middle of my back on our Florida land vacation last month; 2 rx's bid for 3 weeks and it's still not gone :( Critter didn't leave a calling card, so I have no clue what it was. Guess that's why I'm a bit more sensitive to your concern! LOL

On that other thread, didn't I read something about a powder type that you sprinkle on the bed? Anyone know anything about that?

This never would have happened if RCCL had taken the matter seriously in the first place. By Beary going back and seeing that same cabin all made up for the next person WITHOUT being fumigated, that sealed the deal for me that RCCL is part of the problem, not the solution. And they haven't even contacted her yet as to what they plan to do about the problem. I plan to sail on Voyager in Feb 2007 and am now afraid of what I might find. Thanks RCCL for the lack of peace of mind. I'm not sure if Raid is on my list or not. RCCL has some damage control to do and they really should do it fast by making some sort of PUBLIC announcement. As someone in public relations, I know how damaging this kind of talk can be. I just wish for a peaceful, carefree cruise, that's all. Is that so much to ask when we spend our hard earned money on their cruise ships? I feel sorry for Beary.

Archived