Fun Question - Do you.....

JanAndJeremy

Do you collect any one single thing from every port you visit?

My husband and I collect Christmas Ornaments from each place we travel to. We don't have room in our home to put large items on display from all of our travels and this way we get to take them out each year, remember where and when we got a particular ornament, display it for a month or so and then do it all over again next year.

Just wondering if anyone else has anything that they MUST by when traveling.

:)

Jan

I'm not a collector, but my DW is. She likes Christmas ornaments and woven baskets. While she won't get one from every port, she will try to find one that's representative of the overall itinerary. And, of course, we have to get a general souvenir somewhere along the way for ourselves and one for each of the grandchildren.

I collect Bookmarks from every place we visit. My collection is quite large now and I have bookmarks made from just about every conceivable material you can think of. They pack small and are easy to bring home :)

i too collect a christmas ornament from each trip...often not something intended to be an ornament, a shell with a hole for hanging, a funky keyfob (then i remove the fob...or is it the key part?) or a small sculpture that could hang.

we also try to get either a silly, tacky souvenir or a representative building from the area...we've got a Roman coliseum, the Matterhorn, the Empire State bldg, a very strange carved lady on a shell from hawaii...all small, less than 2 inches high...and displayed in an increasingly crowded glass case. nice to recall those trips each day!

I like the idea of bookmarks...now those are easy to pack!

first cruise...Amsterdam 8-8-04

great thread!

We've always picked up postcards from every port, or vacation destination. Now with digital cameras, we can confirm we have a good picture ..so a postcard isn't as important as it was in the past.

We too collect swarovski crystal and have purchased some nice pieces on vacation. Sometimes we can't find a swarovski piece that matches the vacation..so we look for other crystal..found a crystal slot machine when we visited las vegas. From Hawaii we brough home a crystal orchid. A crystal fish from Bermuda. etc., etc.,

Interesting to read what we all collect! Never would have thought about a book mark..I like that idea!

Interesting question and answers. I too collect Christmas Ornaments, worst thing is we often cruise over the Holidays so I don't do much decorating.

However, there will come a time when we'll be home for Christmas and I then get to re-live the memories of those lovely ports and countries we visited.

For the past few years, I have started to collect books of the areas we have been and it is another way to review the trips. CD's are also a nice addition to our collection.

I'm not much for collecting various items from ports ... unless it's photographs that I've taken!!! :D

I DO have a collection of coffee mugs with the name of every ship I've cruised on, along with a few other HAL brand items.

Oh, it started thirty years ago with Christmas tree ornaments. Our tree is a travelog and joy to decorate. I also buy a silver charm from every new city or country that I visit. My latest are a little lochness monster from Inverness, Scotland and a tiny whisky bottle from Kirkwall, Orney Islands (Highland Park distillery).

We still buy postcards to add to our photos and now buy t-shirts for our two grandchildren.

Our collection of 'dam coffee cups grows larger every year. I'm having my coffee from the cobalt blue and gold trim Oosterdam mug, right now.

I also scour antique shops for Cunard Line 'cube' tea service items. These items are tough to find (except on eBay) but a real triumph when located.

I love the idea of bookmarks and will look for them in the future.

What a fun thread. Thanks for starting it.

I usually only collect memories for myself, but I got a whole bunch of stuff from the maiden voyage of the Queen Mary 2. I do always buy a demi-tasse spoon from each port and ship, for my sister - she has way too many now... and has to explain to visitors that she's never been to any of the places on the spoons. :D

I collect cruiseship magnets from every ship I've sailed (both the picture and medallion ones). Also magnets from each location we visited either by sea or land. I pick up post cards from each port to use as "intro's" in my photo albumn. I have to admit though.. I started to cheat and scan postcards and reused them if I've been there before.

I have been collecting shot glasses since I first started traveling. I also have a few Christmas ornaments as well, but have not been as faithful in this collection. However, I have found that the shot glasses take up so much room and I was thinking of giving it up. Now, thanks to this thread I have new ideas. I love the idea of bookmarks, postcards and key chains. I have been faithful in keeping a scrapbook of each and every travel, but that too is growing out of control.

Another thing that I started quite a few years ago is a special address book. (This is separate from the one I keep for family and local friends, etc.) In this book, on the right side I maintain my travel info, such as airlines, favorite hotels, cruiselines, travel agent, etc. Here, along with the phone numbers, I have handy the other important info, such as my Mariners Number, my Continental OnePass number, same for other airlines, etc.

Then on the left side, I keep all the information that I have received from new found friends from my travels (address, phone, email), with a notation of when and where I met them .... such as John & Jane Doe, HAL Zuiderdam, January 2003. It's interesting to periodically go through the book and remember those that I have lost touch with but have enjoyed knowing.

I collect matchbooks from Restaurants, bars , clubs , businesses, etc.

I always have friends who travel pick them up for me too, so I have a rather large collection , but they are small so they really don't take up that much space.

I haven't done this. But reading this thread I think it would be a great idea. We have a couple of souvineer glasses from our cruise last year. They're only cheap plastic, but they're great to take out to the pool. I also have a couple from the Spirit of Norfolk, which is a local dinner/dance ship. Maybe we'll just have to make that our collection from each cruise.

I know it's been said before, but great thread. It's nice seeing a thread that generates interest and is non-controversial.:)

Archived