Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Hello honored guests. Please allow me to formerly introduce myeslf once again. My Tlingit name is Koo Hook, english name Howard. I am from the Xunaa Kaawu (People of Hoonah), belong to the Yeil' (Raven) moiety (group), Taakwaneidi clan (Klawock clan) and Taan Hit (Sea Lion House). I was born and raised in the Tlingit Capital of the World, Hoonah, Alaska (population 868). I have initiated this new thread in hopes that interested parties might yeild questions that they wish to be answered by someone who has a spiritual belonging and aboriginal tie to the Alaska of their dreams. I had begun the original thread "Hoonah, Alaska - Icy Strait Point - Alaska's New Destination" but for whatever the reason, that thread had been removed from the board. Hopefully this new thread will provide an outlet for those who have been interested and following the historical first season of Hoonah's Icy Strait Point. I would be honored to answer all questions and the reciprocation is certainly appreciated as well.

Now a bird's eyeview into the historical beginnings of a culturally rich and spiritually rooted place created to provide the adequate experience we as TRUE Alaskans wish to offer our honored guests. Icy Strait Point had opened it's doors to our guests opting to visit Alaaqsaq (Alaska) by way of large cruise ships on May 23rd, 2004. The occasion was a surreal one and one that will never truly be experienced in it's entirety again.

When the very first ship rounded Icy Strait Point (known locally as cannery point), it was almost a paranormal experience. I would compare it to anybody else seeing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) for the first time. A sea of red coats (part of the ISP uniforms) lined the docks, watching in disbelief as the massive ship filled with 3X the amount of people that live in our village, rounded the point, ushering in with it a bright and unequivocal opportunity for the Tlingit of Hoonah and the infrastructure of a prideful community. We all began jumping, clapping, nervously fixing one another's collars in anticipation for what was about to envelope us. What would happen next would be far more than any of our expectations exceeded.....

Koo Hook-

I enjoyed reading your earlier posts and glad to see you have resurfaced. I do have a couple of questions you could probably answer.

We are going to be at ISP on the Summit in early September. We've reserved a morning whale-watching tour through the ship. Will that be a good time of year for us to find whales there, or is Juneau a better bet? Also, after the tour, I believe we have about three hours in port. Now that you've seen things in action for a month or so, what would you suggest that we do withl that time.

And by the way, what's the local name for Icy Strait Point?

Thank you.

Steve

Steve, we went whale watching in Juneau on 6/29/04 with Captain Larry. We seen 18 whales (6 Orcas & 12 Humpbacks). They would arch their backs out of the water and spout. We also saw tails a couple of times, but no breaching. It was a wonderful experience, don't get me wrong. But when we were on our fishing trip in Icy Straight the very next day, we had the whale experience that was what we had dreamed of. There was a mother whale and her baby that put on a non-stop show for at least 20 minutes. One would breach out of the water, then the other. And one time, they both breached simultaneously and flew completely out of the water. It was awesome. The mother (who was huge) would slap her dorsel (sp?) fin hard against the water and make an incredible splash and roll to the other side and do it again. And she just kept rolling back and forth splashing about. Between the two whales, they must have breached at least a dozen times. It was great. And we weren't even on a whale watching tour in an area that is known to have a large concentration of whales. We were fishing. So basically, you're probably going to see whales at either Juneau or Icy Straight. But the most active we seen of the two ports was Icy Straight. Enjoy your trip.

I have had the great pleasure of finally meeting 'Koo Hook although from a distance and Lisa.We were in Icy Straits on June 29.I am so greatful to you both for all the warmth and kindness you both have shown .The Tinglit people we met were wonderful.We really enjoyed the Tinglit Journey through time as well as the folklore and dance troup.Please thank Maime our guide for me she did a great job teaching us about your culture.I am sorry I can't remember everyones name ,but I left Icy Straits with so much knowledge and understanding of your people.I feel sorry for those passengers that did not get off the ship because they were told there was nothing to do there.[No shopping].I can assure you I did not travel over 4,000 miles to go shopping.I will be writing to Jack Williams to let him know what occured.Till I can return to Hoonah.Thank you sooo very much. Ann

Hey everybody! I'm glad to see the immediate interest in this new and improved thread. Things are going great here, and today we will be hosting Celebrity's Summit as the 11th ship in HISTORY to stop at Icy Strait Point.

Steve - The local name for Icy Strait Point is cannery point. Now the Tlingit name for Icy Strait Point is Gaax'ayi, which means "Duck Point". When the Xunaa Kaawu first arrived on Chichigof Island, Gaax'ayi was where all the clans came together for their first time away from S'e Shuyee (Glacier Bay).

Let me tell you Steve, I've been the naturalist aboard the whale watching boat (The Royal Princess) for the past few weeks now, and the sightings have been great. Sdakweixh Lutu (Pt. Adolphus) is world-renowned for it's abundance of whales. It is known that the largest congregation of humpback whales in the state tend to gather at this nutrient-rich place. So, your chances might very well be most optimal here, but there are over 500 humpbacks in the Alexander Archipelago (Southeast Alaska). I leave the decision up to you. As for the remaining 3 hours that you will be here, I will leave the abundance of opportunities open for you. Everyone has particular interests when they travel abroad, and depending on what it is you seek on your trip to Alaaqsaq, I cannot make a recommendation at this time. Let me know what your interests are Steve, and I'd be obliged to recommend activities for you. By the way, is "Duffys" for Duffy's Shack in the Virgin Islands????????

Duo of cruisers - It's been a delight and satisifaction for me to read your posts and comments on my homeland. Certainly you as our honored guests have brought much to us as a people, and far more than any monetary value can measure.....I'll share more and conclude my original statement in the next post......

Ann - I most certainly apologize for not getting the opportunity to meet you, because it was truly my mission once I found out that you were here, to seek you out and say "Gunalcheesh" for the support and kindness you've exemplified throughout the duration of my venture onto cruisecritic. I do however feel fortunate that I do already know you, and meeting you physically just would've been the bonus. It is unfortunate that there are people sending the message that there is "nothing" to do here, but for those that don't seek the opportunity of a lifetime to walk amongst the trees, integrate themselves into a culture that has sustained itself for thousands of years, and witness the true way of existance in this vast land have already decided why they are coming to Alaska: to shop. I honestly believe that people do not purchase tickets to Alaska in hopes that it will be a smorgesboard (sp?) of T-shirt shops and jewelers. It is my hope that they will seek the experience that ALL of our honored guests deserve - an AUTHENTIC one filled with spiritual balance and a sense of self-worth. I feel privelaged to have made a difference, and a positive one at that, on someone like yourself Ann. GUNALCHEESH HAAT.YEEY AADI! (Thank you for coming!)

Again, GUNALCHEESH for the renewed interest, and I will conclude the remaining words of my original post in my next post........."we all began jumping, clapping, nervously fixing one another's collars in anticipation for what was about to envelope us.....what would happen next would far exeed our expectations......"

Koo Hook...........

Didn't get to meet you on my stop in Hoonah but I loved your end of the world. Just curios - what can you tell me about the cemetary on the way into towm? Who's grave has all the beautiful flowers planted? What is the significance of the large statue? Thanks.

Hoonah is not you typical Alaska stop - thank you! While there are places to buy souveniers, they do not overwhelm you. THe nature trails that have been built and the walk along the beach is beautiful. Benches are plentiful. Take the walk into town just to see it - and spend a little money for the local economy! The hardware store sells the same shirts as the cannery but a little cheaper. Mary's food (in town) is good as is the pizza place - and not as crowed as the cannery. The walk into town is an easy mile - along the road - and the berries that line the road are very tasty!

Enjoyed seeing Hoonah and what other Alaska towns used to look like. Don't add any more - it's good the way it is!

Sue

John Q. I tried to post just the picture of the whale breaching to this response. But I can't get it to work. I tried to copy and paste it from the D:/ drive, but no go. Then I tried dragging it from the D:/ drive to the post itself, but all that happened was that the picture opened up in the window instead of cruise critic. We're going to post an album of pictures as soon as we get it all organized. But we've only gotten as far as saving them all from the memory chip to the CD. If you know how I can just post one picture to the board from a CD, let me know.

Koo Hook-

Thanks for the information. We are not shoppers, so Hoonah sounds great to us. It sounds like we can soak up some of the local culture in our remaining time at ISP.

By the way, is "Duffys" for Duffy's Shack in the Virgin Islands????????

Nope-but I think I wish it was! Must be a cousin-there's lots of us.

Two cruisers-

Thanks for the reinforcement. We'll be going with the ISP whale watch-your experience is exactly what we are looking for. Lucky you!

Thank you, Koo Hook (and the other posters on this lovely thread). You have awakened my inner Tlingit. I am so jazzed about going to Icy Strait Point. My favorite thing about any trip is making a connection to the place and the people, and it sounds like Icy Strait Point is just the spot for that to happen.

I applaud your people for being brave and open enough to welcome a crush of cruisers with open arms. I hope we are worthy of you. I just can't tell you how much your posts touched my heart. I can't wait!!!

...If you know how I can just post one picture to the board from a CD, let me know.
Here are the instructions for posting a picture in 10 easy steps:

1) When you type your post, scroll down a little and you'll see a big box titled "Additional Options".

2) Inside this box there is a button "Manage Attachements", click on it.

3) A SEPARATE browser window will open with a box titled "Manage Attachments"

4) There is a button there "Browse...", Click on it

5) Select the picture from your hard drive/cd and click "open" (in the Choose file dialog)

6) You are back at the window of step 3.

7) Click button "Upload" and wait

IMPORTANT: You are limited to a picture of about 30K in size, so if your picture is bigger you'll have to resize it in order to use this method. If it IS too big you'll get a message saying so.

8) After a while you'll see the picture name in the "current attachments" little box

9) Click button "Close this window"

10) You are back in the posting window, just click "Submit Reply"

Hope this helps.

Two Cruisers:

I fully understand the complexities of getting pictures where you want them when you want them and the way you want them!! I am still trying to put together some online albums of my trip in May 2002. Webshots.community has free photo posting also, but I am new to it and cannot fully explain. I'm still trying to get photos editied and cleaned up a little if needed, resized and put in a logical order so I can share with people who have questions about some of the things I experienced. So good luck and I will wait.

Boten, thanks for the instructions, I will save and see what we have here.

Our dear Koo Hook,

So glad to see you here again. I feared you were gone! I missed the 'old' thread because I loved reading the posts and getting ever more excited about getting to ISP on August 11th and the possibility of meeting you. You have been a virtual mirror into the life and "feel" of your heritage and your glorious land and have absolutely taken us all with you. You are indeed, a poetic young man . If I am lucky enough to meet you in person,know that I intend to give you a hug for all the warmth,knowledge and joy you have brought to this board!

I can't wait to experience Hoonah and all that it has to offer .....

Hope your days are filled with goodness and joy!

Vicki

Koo Hook,

You're back! :) I know that you must be very busy now that ships have started arriving. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and of Chookenshaa and learning about your culture and it's history. Keep those posts coming!:D

Thank you and your people in advance for opening your arms and your village to welcome visitors!

My husband and I will be arriving in Hoonah on 8/25 (?) aboard the Vision of the Seas. We are really exicited about our opportunity to visit your village and to meet you in person. We are slated to go on the Whale watching excursion. We've have also thought about going fishing while we are there, however we are concerned that we might be trying to do too much. We don't want to miss out on simply pausing, reflecting, and absorbing the beauty of your village and your culture.

The days are counting down to our visit and it can't arrive too soon!

Koo Hook,

My wife and I will be traveling southbound with Celebrity in a few weeks. That said, we are looking forward to our visit to Hoonah and were wondering if any organized kayaking had been established.

I am quite aware that your neighbor - Glacier Bay - is the home to some of the best kayaking in the world. Granted, I don't expect to make it as far as Point Adolphus, but would you comment on the kayaking from Hoonah/Icy Strait? (wifelife viewing, water currents, general safety...)

Do you know if there are any organized day trips in place at this time, or do you know of anyone who would be able to take two visitors out for a few hours? I believe Icy Strait Lodge rents sea kayaks, we would just prefer to go with a guide as we don't know the waters and it has been a few years since we last 'put in'.

Your insights are appreciated.

Brian

Koo Hook,

Can you give me any information on the salmon fishing excursion in Icy Strait? I haven't fished since I was a kid, but might like to try it there. We look forward to spending some time in your wonderful village. I have been following all of your e-mails.

Joyce

I am SO SORRY everyone for taking so long to respond. I submitted a VERY LENGTHY post on Monday, but apparently the last post you see before this one was posted at the same time, cancelling out the one I had initiated. So, please, accept my apologies, and I will post responses and other good stuff before the end of this weekend, sound good? Do you forgive me? I hope so.....

We just returned home yesterday and stopped in ICP on Celebrity Summit. Our table mates told us that the 'shopping info lady' on board ship said not to buy anything at ICP. That gave us a 'red flag' so we definitely went into the town by a local bus (I think). The bus was not allowed into the parking lot. It was $3 one way pp to the town (about 1 mile) and we explored there instead. The people in the ANB (I thnk it stands for Alaskan Native Brotherhood), where the bus dropped us off, were very enjoyable and informative. They did craft-work and talked about anything you wanted to know. We went walking around and found a little 'marine store near the local docks and bought some souveniers there (2 t-shirts, bracelet, childrens' book and a cute pair of sox), the total was approx $48. We think that the reason the cruise ships give you the 'right places to shop' has to do more with their cut of the action. I will bet dollars to donuts that the 'recommended' stores pay the cruise line for their endorsements and that a percentage of the shopping when ships are in port, go to the cruiselines.

It was nice to stumble unto this board. Our former pastor had his first pastorate in Hoonah. He has shared many fond memories of their time there. I was my trip to Alaska included this port. Maybe next time...

Poohb you are right.The company that runs the shops on the ships as well as shopping infomertials get kick backs from the stores they recommend.Secondly they do not work for the cruise ships they are a lease out company.On the Summit last month I spoke to one of the employees who was being transfered to a Carnival ship out of Fort Lauderdale.she confirmed that they are a separate company that has contracts with the cruise ships.Also in Ketchikan I spoke to several employees on Creek Street the cruise lines don't recommend any of these shops.So that is where I shopped.

Hello, all. I have been reading this correspondence with great pleasure since I found it a couple of weeks ago, and I am also eager to be at ICP next month. How lucky we are to have a glimpse of Tlingit life, albeit with 2000 other interested people! I am wondering if our tourist dollars will assist the residents of Hoonah more by choosing activities once we debark and paying for them directly to residents rather than committing through the ship's system. It is important to me that, as much as possible, we be benefitting the community. For example, can we take a Tlingit tour that is independent of the ship? Any suggestions are welcome.

Our table mates told us that the 'shopping info lady' on board ship said not to buy anything at ICP........We think that the reason the cruise ships give you the 'right places to shop' has to do more with their cut of the action.

You sure ain't whistling dixie!! By far, the main criteria to get on the so called "recommended shopping list" is that the vendors pay an advertising fee to cruiseline. I would also bet that much of the "shopping lady's" income comes directly from a commission from the advertising fees.

I have to laugh when I hear her presentation. She will always say that she can't stress enough that people should only shop at stores on the approved vendor list. Why should I shop at a store, just so it will benefit her? It makes me want to go to other stores.

Koo Hook, or anyone else who knows.

Can we expect bear activity in the first week of Sept (Celebrity) to justify that tour rather than the whale watch or something else? Or is there time to do both? Look forward to more detail on the various tours here as we have booked late and don't have our normal time to research. I'm relying on the Cruisecritic bunch. Thanks.

Archived