Grandeur from Baltimore

My wife and two teen age daughters are leaving this Friday 8/18 on our first RC cruise; we've gone on Celebrity twice to Bermuda.

1) What time should we arrive at the pier in Baltimore for a 4 PM sailing?

2) Is there any food available from about 1 to 4 (before the ship sets sail)?

3) Our cabin was upgraded after we received the luggage tags; how do we get new ones?

4) Any general impressions comparing RC to Celebrity?

5) Should we get pesos before the trip?

6) How's the food? Entertainment?

Thanks!

Come over to the Roll-Call board for 8/18/06 sailing. We're sort of a quiet bunch, but very friendly. there are 79 of us registered for the M&M.

To answer some of your questions -

We're planning to get to the pier between 11 and 12.

I understand the Windjammer will be open for lunch.

I've read all you have to do is cross out the old cabin numbers on the luggage tags and re-write in black marker your new cabin number (lucky folks!). Or perhaps you can get new luggage tags at the pier.

I haven't sailed Celebrity, so no comment.

We're not planning to get pesos. I believe all the beaches, shops etc. will accept dollars - and you'll probably get random pesos as change.

I've heard everything is just grand on the Grandeur.

** Anne (and DH and 4 kids) 8/18/06 Grandeur

My wife and two teen age daughters are leaving this Friday 8/18 on our first RC cruise; we've gone on Celebrity twice to Bermuda.

Most people would tell you anywhere between 11 and noon. If you get there too early you will have to wait until the ship clears the last passengers, but certainly you can get there earlier than the docs say.

Yep! The Windjammer will be open! I told my crew last year "we can stop at McDonalds and spend money, or we can just go to the ship now and eat for free!" :D

3) Our cabin was upgraded after we received the luggage tags; how do we get new ones?

They should give you new ones when you drop off your luggage. Just tell them you need new ones and they will make them for you.

My first cruise was Celebrity, although it's been about 4 years now. My impression is that Celebrity is a little more refined, a little better food, a little fancier atmosphere. RCCL is a little more relaxed, much more family oriented, not quite so stuffy.

Didn't stop in Mexico last year, but from reading here, I don't think you will really need them unless you really go exploring on your own.

Subjective questions... :) I liked them both, others have varying opinons!

Thanks!

Hope that helps! It was a good time last year for me, so much that I'm doing it all again this year.

Theron

I showed up at the Baltimore port at around 9:00am so I could avoid as many lines as possible. I got in, luggage scanned, and got to sit and chat for a bit. They had complimentary cookies and hot beverages as a snack. I ended up getting onboard a little before 11:00am quite quickly and was in the Windjammer amoungst smiling crew and some lunch shortly thereafter.

Thanks!

I just got off of the 8/4, 9 Night Sailing, so here goes

1, I would get there around 11:00 A the should be just clearing the last passengers off. ( Remember Parking is $90.00 Cash Only)

2, THere are Cookies and Lemonade in the Terminal and Windjammer is open when you get on board.

3. As you pull in to the Parking Area off of the Highway, you will see a tent on the left for those who need luggage tags, you can get them there, before you park and tag your luggage, you than drop off your luggage on luggage carts before you park your car.

4 We sailed on The Zenith and had a great time, but we also had a Great Time here

5no need for Pesos, everywhere in Cozumel and Costa MAya takes American Dinero and gives back, When you eat at restaurents in the Mexican you will get a check that might say $666.00 Pesos, which is $66.00 Dolars

5 We enjoyed the Food in the Dining Room Breakfast was always the same Choices, Lunch had the same except everyday there was a special and dinner always changed.

As far as entertainment goes, The Magician was great and I thought everyone else just stunk.

Gavin is your cruise director and he was just great, do not forget to go to the quest that was great.

Do me a favor, stop by the Champagne Bar on Deck 4 and Say Hello to Allison she made our Trip. Also a Little Hint at 5pm at the Champagne bar, Allison always had a tray of Hourderves.

Have Fun

Tom & Paula Martin

We got there at 11:00 and there was NO LINE.

They gave us luggage tags right there where we turned our luggage in.

The Windjammer was open when we got on board.

Don't take pesos to Mexico, they want DOLLARS!! ;)

You will have a great time! Enjoy. :D

Thanks!

1. Plan on showing up no later than 2pm. I would show up at around 11am to get lunch on the ship though.

2. Food is everywhere, you will not go hungry.

9:30 - 10 AM is a good general time to tell them, but there are lots of factors to consider, like whether the ship is on schedule for an on time arrival.

I don't know where your ride is coming from, but if I had a cell phone, I would be calling my ride when the ship passes under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge near Annapolis, and telling them to be there in 3 - 3 1/2 hours. It's about 2 hours from the bridge to the terminal. If you are walking off with your luggage then it's only about 30 minutes more, if not you'll be off about 2 hours after ship ties up. But wouldn't you rather have your ride waiting for you than the other way around.

I just got off the 8/4-8/13 sailing too. We did the Self assist option where you keep your luggage in the cabing the night before leaving. Be sure to go to the pursers desk during the voyage to sign up for this. They will give you a sticker.

I don't know what happened the day we got off, but they did not make any annoucements for the self assist people. We sat at the window and watched people getting off the ship with luggage and going to their cars. So we decided to go down and sure enough we could get off. So keep that in mind if you choose this option. They announcement aren't reliable.

We docked at 9 and were off by 930.

Parking is 10 dollars per day - CASH only, pay in advance. There is ample parking. In my photo album (entitled "Grandeur"), there is a picture of the port and the parking lot. You can see there are a number of empty parking spaces. As far as I know, my cruise (like most) was sold out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=389328

I feel Celebrity is a bit above RCL....small details...for example, the champagne welcome with a steward to take you to your cabin on embarkation, cool towels and lemonade at the end of an busy port day, lotion and other amenities in the cabin, greater variety of food and higher quality ( watch out for the black angus steak), sushi bar, ice cream bar, trays in the buffet area and etc.

Actually, I enjoyed most of the entertainment....very funny comedian on day 3... I would definitely sail with RCL again if they are departing from the convenience of the Baltimore port.

Archived