• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Tipping Tour Drivers ??

I am very well aware of salaries, benefits etc. in Europe for most professions. I had the pleasure of visiting many countries.

I certainly know tips are not necessary, but on a voluntary basis will certainly be accepted in many restaurant. Maybe not always "en plein public", but sometimes with a hand shake.

If people want to do this, and knowing there is a difference between tipping in Europe and the USA, I will never tell them not to.

Ine:

Of course they are going to take the tip if you give it to them. Human nature is human nature.

I only try to tell our American friends that it is a lot different over here and that they need not throw around 20% and 30% tips as they would do in the United States.

I remember attending a convention meeting a few years ago in Amsterdam. I was staying at the Hotel de l'Europe. I don't know if everything was pre-paid as part of the convention, but I do remember that when the bellboy brought our luggage to our room, I tried to give him a few euros tip, and he wouldn't take it and he returned it to me.

I think this entire thread has brought us to a few conclusions:

1. The tipping custom here in Europe is very different from the United States;

2. Many private tours and drivers seem to be way overpriced in cities such as Rome, Florence/Pisa, Naples, Southern France, etc.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

<<1. The tipping custom here in Europe is very different from the United States;

2. Many private tours and drivers seem to be way overpriced in cities such as Rome, Florence/Pisa, Naples, Southern France, etc.>>

In that I agree with you the tipping is different. But that doesnot mean that no tips are allowed. People will appreciate a (small but reasonable) tip

I never had any bellboy refusing my tip...

Regarding private tours in general yes overpriced but also difficult to judge. It depends how long, what kind of car, with how many passengers, the distance etc. Of course it is more comfortable to travel with a few people then with a large group in a bus, for which one has to expect to pay more. (But not too much).

Gunther and Uta,

I had travelled to Asia and Europe few times already. I understand that there's different culture in different country. I totally understand your point, and deeply appreciately for comments.

My family and I plan to travel to Med. again next year, can you suggest any discount driver and tour guides to us, or how to find a discount diver/tour guide? I agreed with you that they are over charge!

I appreciate someone else who tips as well. I, also, don't know what the norm is for tour drivers, I did not feel taken at all. I paid around 400-500 Euro. To tell you the truth it was probably no more than 450 euro for any of my drivers. That was for an all day excursion. I was also selfish and did not want to share with others and paid the full amount because I wanted the day to reflect what I wanted to see. I don't know where these higher prices are coming from. If people are being quoted 500-800 euro, I'd say they are paying way too much. Thanks for your input Ina.

Gunther, I did work for a large restaurant chain and we did not have to claim the cash tips we received. Credit cards I agree with. There is no getting around that. And I never tip 30%. That is absurd. Up to 15% is the norm.

Kindly Chap:

Precisely what I have been saying on the other heated thread on tipping. The guidebooks such as Fodors are written by Americans and for Americans.

To write in the same passage that actually promotes tipping a remark saying that the natives don't do it proves exactly what I have been saying all along.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dorothy:

I think times have changed since you probably worked in restaurants, but I do know that nowadays there is a "presumption" of a cash tip if no tip is left on a credit card, and that "presumption" is indeed attributed to the server.

Perhaps in California, a 15% tip is still fine. However, in many restaurants in New York City, nowadays, 15% is considered the very minimum and is considered to be a bit stingy.

To the other posters who are requesting names of less expensive drivers and tour operators, I'm terribly sorry I can't help you, but my land arrangements are always booked through one of the large, European corporate travel agency chains directly (depending upon which one of the companies I am involved in is booking the travel), and not by me directly or with the drivers or receptive tour operators directly.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I've just read through all the past postings on this thread and found the topic very interesting. As an Americian I will follow the culture of each county I visit..........especially about tipping. Don't want to look like a foolish Anerican.

Archived