• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Safety of Princess Ships

fuzzywuzzy

Does anyone know what really happened with the tipping of the Crown Princess? It was in port I understand. We are thinking of cruising on Princess this winter but now I'm concerned. How easy is it for this to happen to other Princess cruise ships? What assurances have the cruiseline given to passengers, if any? What are they doing to rectify the issue? Maybe all of this has been answered somewhere but can't seem to find it.

thank you.

Princess confirms that the list was due to human error. The U.S. Coast Guard would not allow the ship to sail if it was unsafe. You can read their statement www.princess.com, scroll down to the bottom & click News. The article is dated 7/24/06.

I will not hesitate to sail Princess or any other line. For the volume of passengers, cruising is probably one of the safest modes of transportation around!

Relax and enjoy! :)

Well, I wasn't on the Crown but I do know that it didn't happen in port. Any ship can list but just because it happened once on the Crown doesn't mean that princess has a problem. Just add up all of the cruises that Princess sails and then add up all of the "incidents" and you will see that it doesn't happen very often. Do you still fly in airplanes? They are very safe but when an accident happens you think that it isn't safe to fly.

do a search of the princess boards with crown or crown list and you will find lots of threads on the subject (way to many in my opinion).

You shouldn't let one incident on a particular ship - or cruise line, effect your thoughts on every sailing them. If you got into a car accident while in an Accord would you never ride in a Honda again?

The cruise industry is actually very safe and you can be sure that Princess does everything they can to ensure everyone's safety at all times. I would think they are probably being extra diligent right now if anything.

Thank you for the link and Princess Cruiseline response to passengers. This is what I was wanting to know. Yes, it is still one of the safer modes of transportation as compared to travelling by vehicle on the highways, etc. but it still gives one an uneasy feeling when this type of accident can happen due to human error on such a huge sailing vessel with stabilizers, etc. Hopefully all staff will be fully trained and measures put in place to ensure that this does NOT happen again. It was obviously preventable.

The Crown was not in port as ewheelock said. It had left the port and was already going at a reasonable speed. It then was put into a sharp turn. This is why it "tipped". It has nothing to do with its size or the stabilizers. All ships naturally do this when turned sharply at higher speeds.

The human error in this case was that a cruise ship loaded with passengers and all the equipment, etc needed for their comfort is not designed/planned to be turned sharply at high speeds, hence the damage to the interior of the ship. The ship itself though could handle the turn fine as it did.

I agree with you that it's disturbing that this incident was due to human error and was preventable.

However, it wouldn't keep me from cruising. There are so many other incidents, albeit not so severe, that occur on ships that you probably wouldn't cruise if you dwelled on each and every one.

Even if you are willing to forego sailing on all Princess ships, you can't guarantee a trouble free cruise. The kinds of things that have happened, could, and sometimes have, happened on just about every line. I don't know that any kind of vacation that you might substitute for a cruise is necessarily going to be safer. Fires can occur in hotels, storms can wreak havoc in resort areas, and accidents can happen just about anywhere including right at home. Life carries a certain amount of risk in anything you do. If you let the fear of accidents paralyze you and prevent you from carrying on a normal existence, you will be the poorer for it. I am sure that Princess and all cruise lines have redoubled their efforts to insure that their crews are adequately trained and prepared to deal with any emergency that might arise, but human beings aren't perfect and they sometimes make errors. What you might want to focus on, instead of the error which caused the list, is the prompt manner in which it was dealt with and more serious problems were averted, and the professional way the entire ship's crew reacted to deal with what had to have been a frightening experience.:)

It's not just Princess. Recently, there was a fire on a RCI cruiseship which didn't seem to make the news since no one was hurt: a lifeboat was being cleaned and the cleaning chemicals combusted, damaging the lifeboat. While no one was hurt, that meant there was one fewer lifeboats in the case of an emergency. Both RCI and Carnival have both had several incidents recently of people going overboard.

As has been said, there are no guarantees. There are many, many incidents that don't make the news or aren't reported here but cruising is still a relatively safe means of taking a vacation.

I understand your concern . However this has not only happened on Princess. Perhaps because this time around more people were hurt it was more talked about? Last Summer 2 Royal Caribean Ships listed and people were hurt. The Carnival legend Listed 11 degrees and some people were hurt. This weekend Explorer Of The Seas Listed 6 degrees and yet I can find no article about it at all.

I just got off the Crown Princess. I felt very safe. They fired the old captain and have a new captain named Nicolo Binetti. We had no tilting. Sometimes it was rocky though, especially as we got closer to NY. The seas are rockier as one goes north. I don't think anyone has to worry about the Crown Princess listing again because they are taking every precaution to make sure it doesnt happen again. They want to stay in business! The muster drill was more detailed than previous cruises. I had been been nervous about sailing, but I am no longer anxious about listing. They have fire proof furniture on the balconies (not very comfortable)...but safer and they also have sprinklers. I may write a review later this week. Any questions..I'd be happy to help.

I just got off the Crown Princess. I felt very safe. They fired the old captain and have a new captain named Nicolo Binetti. We had no tilting. Sometimes it was rocky though, especially as we got closer to NY. The seas are rockier as one goes north. I don't think anyone has to worry about the Crown Princess listing again because they are taking every precaution to make sure it doesnt happen again. They want to stay in business! The muster drill was more detailed than previous cruises. I had been been nervous about sailing, but I am no longer anxious about listing. They have fire proof furniture on the balconies (not very comfortable)...but safer and they also have sprinklers. I may write a review later this week. Any questions..I'd be happy to help.

Where did you see that Capt Andy Proctor was fired?

Ron

I certainly wouldn't stop cruising, or stop cruising with Princess, just because of this one incident of a list.

I can't think of anything you could do; drive, fly, cruise, or even walk, that is guaranteed to be absolutely safe.

I am eager to hear the results of the investigation though, to find out what caused the list and what they can do to reduce the risk of something similar happening in the future.

While I don't see any point in trying to awfullize the situation and panic people about cruise ship safety, I also don't see the advantage in trying to sweep it under the rug and adopt the stance, "there there little cruiser don't worry your poor little head about it. Take my word for it, cruise ships are safe." I think people have a right to question why this happened.

The most important thing here to me is to learn from this so that cruising can be made as safe as possible for future cruisers.

Some waiters and guests on the ship told me that they had to have him go on "vacation" after the list. People liked the new captain. I know nothing about captain Andy, never met him. Just repeating what I was told by many folks.

There is a BIG difference between being fired and going on vacation - don't you think.

Cruise ship accidents happen - Aug 15 - The cruise ship Celebration bottomed out off the coast of Nassau damaging a prop and spilling 53 gallons of oil.

Ron

They fired the old captain and have a new captain named Nicolo Binetti.

I would be interested in knowing where this information came from as well. It was said that Captain Procter wasn’t even on the bridge at the time (he was off duty) so I’m wondering how he’s being held responsible? Princess did state that those involved had been relieved of duty, but the Captain wasn’t one of them as he was on the ship after the statement was released.

They better not have fired Andy Proctor or I will not sail on Princess ever again. The 7/11 sailing was my first and I grew to like and admire Andy Proctor thoughout the trip. To fire someone that easy after being with the company for almost 40 years is knee jerk and wrong. I have to try and find out what if anything happened to Captian Andy Proctor. This better not be true.

Guest LetMeGo
Some waiters and guests on the ship told me that they had to have him go on "vacation" after the list.

That could also mean that he was ordered by a doctor to take a break because he was worrying too much over something that was never in his control... And I think a few people on this board should take a similar break from all their worrying. :D

I would be interested in knowing where this information came from as well. It was said that Captain Procter wasn’t even on the bridge at the time (he was off duty) so I’m wondering how he’s being held responsible? Princess did state that those involved had been relieved of duty, but the Captain wasn’t one of them as he was on the ship after the statement was released.

It sounds like the information came from one of the waiters, and we all know how reliable their information can be.:rolleyes:

There is a big difference between being fired and going on vacation unless it is a euphemism to disguise his ultimate fate. If I were the captain and had experienced such an event, a vacation would certainly be in order. I think that without stronger evidence to support this allegation, it is unfair to the Captain and to the cruiseline to spread such a rumor.

I doubt they fired Andy Proctor - he is one of Princess's most respected and experienced - Princess didn't just pull him off of a New England fishing boat and put him in charge of the Crown - I have sailed with Andy Proctor more than once and was very impressed with him.

Ron

That could also mean that he was ordered by a doctor to take a break because he was worrying too much over something that was never in his control... And I think a few people on this board should take a similar break from all their worrying. :D
If Princess is anything like the outfit I work for, he is no doubt busily working on contingency plans to diagnose, correct, and prevent the series of events that lead to the incident on Crown Princess. He might even be reviewing the training syllabus for cadets and officers.

Or, it could be something as simple as his planned vacation. Who knows? I hope to see Captain Proctor again on a cruise. Captain Nick Carlton, who was in charge of Grand Princess last February during her incident, will be in command of Regal Princess when we are on board. Does this worry me? Not a bit.

Captain Nick Carlton, who was in charge of Grand Princess last February during her incident, will be in command of Regal Princess when we are on board. Does this worry me? Not a bit.

WHAT?? :eek:

:D

Actually, I think it was Nicolo Binetti who was Master of Regal Princess on my Panama Canal cruise – and I think he was on board when Regal Princess was run up on a sandbar by the pilots in the Amazon.

I wonder why I was told he was fired? Now I am very curious to know why some of the staff thinks he was fired? I did hear he had a great reputation in the past! Does anyone know positively where he is and why he is no longer on the Crown. After all, it is a new ship and he disappeared after about six or seven sailings. I was also repeatedly told the list was human error when someone switched from steering to autopilot. My room had broken molding and marks on the wall where the tv had fallen. They tried to clean the marks this week, but the dents are still there. AGAIN, I was not frightened and the ship sailed without any listing. Nice trip.

Archived