• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

St. Thomas - Crown Bay Cruise Ship Terminal

Ruthless714

Stupid question time -- where is Crown Bay in relation to Havensight?

If the Crown Bay shopping complex is scheduled to open in November (when has anything ever opened on time...so it'll be much later) but the CB will be docking there starting in October ... will we have no "at dock" shopping facilities til it opens?

Ok, so I found a map in one of my St. Thomas brochures -- Crown bay is West of Havensight -- If you are looking at a map of the island, Havensight dock is on the right side of the bay where Charlotte Amalie is. Crown Bay is the next bay west or to the left of Charlotte Amaile bay. It looks like the Crown Bay Harbour Terminal is on the far west side of Crown Bay - so its kinda on the west side of the bay to the west of Charlotte Amaile. Does that make any sense? It looks kinda far from downtown. More cab and shuttle $$$ for the locals for sure.

Sorry, couldn't find a map online with Crown bay marked. Even the crown bay port website didn't have a map :confused: I sure hope its ready for my Oct cruise cause we will miss Havensight very much.

Thank You, Ruthless, for the link to the article with information on Crown Bay Terminal in St. Thomas.This is the first I have heard of it. I hope the new terminal will be open for Fall Passengers on Princess Ships. It is a distance to Charlotte Amalie and Havensight from this Terminal. I personally will miss Havensight as it was so convienient after doing tours or going to the beach, to stop and do some shopping on Our way back to the ship.. Hopefully the new Crown Bay terminal and area will have nice shops also.

I scoped out Crown Bay on a map and it looks like almost equal to docking at Havensight for trips into Charlotte Amalie. We love the harbor at St. Thomas, but maybe something a little different will be fine. Besides Lindberg Bay is very close and I'd like to go to Emerald Beach on this trip.

IKE your welcome for the info.

Crown Bay is basically located in an area known as "Frenchtown" east of the airport. There are some decent restaurants there and the nearest beach is Lindbergh Bay (very close to the airport). To the northwest of the airport is another beach called Brewer's Bay. Lindbergh and Brewer's are both quiet with little in terms of facilities and amenities. It is possible that the USVI Tourism Board is looking to a) alleviate crowding at Havensight; b) promote the often overlooked area of Frenchtown; and c) get people to explore the west end of the island.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that for the most part Holland America used the Crown Bay terminal. Should be interesting to see if the new shops open on time.

For those who are traveling within the next few months to St. Thomas, I would keep checking the USVI Daily News online for updates. The link is: http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com

My two cents:

Crown Bay is the old Submarine base built after the U.S. purchased the Virgin Islands.

Yes. it's about the same distance to downtown Charlotte Amalie as it would be to get downtown from Havensite.

HAL has docked ships there for years. When I docked there in 2001 on HAL's Veendam there was nothing in the way of shops there at all. A small grocery store if I remember right and a few other establishments to serve the Marina, it's boats/yachts, and people.

Rumor has it that they are putting in a large number of stores. How that will compare to what's presently at Havensite, personally I don't know.

We docked at Crown Bay in February when we were on Carnival Liberty. A friend took a photo of the taxi rates into town. If I can get the link to work :) ...

629088024303_0_ALB.jpg

We did an excursion to St. John that day, so it wasn't really an issue for us, but the entire area was under construction and it did appear as though they were going to be building a shopping center very similar to that at Havensight. Not sure when that will be finished... Island Time dontchaknow! :)

On the website listed above where you see photos of Crown Bay, if you click on "dockage reservations" & in the photo, one part of the cruise ship dock is on the far right side; then scroll to bottom & click on "marina site plan", you will see that the cruise ship dock is on far west side of the marina. Next Click on "Port Clearance" and you will see a long dock with no ships docked at it -- that would be the main cruise ship dock. If you click on "Location" the photo you see is of marina, with main cruise ship dock not shown in the photo. The 3rd berth for cruise ships is actually on that dock on left side of this photo. Also click on the "aerial views of the marina" and then click on the arrow below the photos -- the larger cruise ship dock is only visible in 1 or 2 of the pictures.

Looking at the photos: If a photo is taken from land looking out toward water, the dock would be on right side of photo. If photo taken from water looking toward land & marina, the cruise ship dock would be on left side.

The approach to Crown Bay is different than the approach to Havensight & should provide some NEW interesting views at arrival & departure. Also you will have a better view of the seaplanes.

Distance & traffic to downtown not too bad at all. Would imagine many of the major shops at Havensight & downtown will have a branch store at Crown Bay mall. I can remember stopping at St. Thomas when Havensight was just getting started with very few shops & everyone had to go downtown. There is a ferry terminal in that vicinity too -- between Crown Bay & downtown.

With Princess' long-term committment to put Crown Prin & Caribbean Prin at Crown Bay, it is sure to become as busy as Havensight, which has become way way too overcrowded. Great that St. T is working to improve the cruise ship docking situation, as St. T is a very very popular port.

Wish Dutch St. Martin would work on extending the dock there, as it too is becoming an extremely popular dock. I think there will be 5 or 6 ships there same day Sea Princess is there in mid-November.

I cruise almost exclusively between Princess and HAL and when cruising on HAL almost always (except only 1 cruise) was "stuck" at Crown Bay. The traffic jams are everybit as bad from Crown Bay to downtown as from Havensight to downtown. To get from Crown Bay to Havensight it is only 4 miles and takes AT LEAST 35 minutes and has taken upto 1 hour in my experiences. This has been my experience of at least 8 cruises between the 2 docks. I was last there in 11/06 and Crown Bay was under tremendous construction and should eventually be nice. But, no way is there enough room for the 100+ shops that Havensight has.

I am being selfish here but since I do not plan on cruising the aforementioned Princess ships (I love the Coral and Diamond) then I am cautiously optimistic that the HAL ships that I cruise on in the Caribbean will switch back to Havensight. I would be thrilled beyond reason with that choice.

I will be sailing on the HAL Volendam in 12/06 and we wil see which dock it ends up at.

Thanks again to You and all the other Cruise Critic members for all the new info on the Crown Bay new terminal. I think when it is all finished, it will definitely help with the congestion with their new shops. I agree it is very busy at Havensight Mall but it is convenient for all passengers. However, I don't think too much can be done to alleviate the traffic congestion along the main street on the Ocean going into Charlotte Amaile. We usually walk in as it is faster than sitting in traffic. Ike

Hopefully with Princess shifting to Crown Bay, taxi drivers will become more willing to take people to Crown Bay. Coming back from the beach as we approached CA, a few of the people in our cab needed to go to Crown Bay and our taxi driver didn't want to take them. He tried to pawn them off on other taxi drivers - who were all willing to take us back to Havensight - but did not want to take those people to Crown Bay.

It is a hot and dusty walk past a very busy street and intersection with a lot of vehicles. If you are physically fit it can be walked. There will be many people on the cruise who would not want to/ or can not handle the walk.

Any reason not to walk into downtown CA from Crown Bay?

Let's look at it this way. With Princess' agreement to dock at Crown Bay, Princess will ALWAYS dock. No more tendering in from the inner harbor (or the outer one either) when there are 5+ ships in Charlotte Amalie.

It is a hot and dusty walk past a very busy street and intersection with a lot of vehicles. If you are physically fit it can be walked. There will be many people on the cruise who would not want to/ or can not handle the walk.

Thanks! I love to walk so I think it would be okay. I was thinking more along the lines of whether it was safe. I don't usually shop in St. Thomas, but you never know when the need for a linen tablecloth might strike.

• 3 weeks later...

We were planning on going over to St. John. Does anyone know how I would get there (fast) when the ship docks at Crown Bay. Wondering if I should just book the excursion through the ship - though the cost would be $59 p/p for 4 hours. And wondering how many hours will be travel time.

Thanks for all help in advance.

Archived