sea sickness AFTER a cruise?

sea glass

Hi, I just cruised the Crown Princess and though there were some negatives...we had a very nice time on a beautiful ship and we were not sea sick. HOWEVER, since I arrived home I feel like the room is rocking and that I am still on the ship. I can not understand this because I felt fine on the ship. The problem is particularly noticeable in the morning. Can anyone out there tell me if this has ever happened to them? I really feel awful and dizzy. I don't know what to take...but I have to work ...and that is impossible...:( Help!

Completely normal. It's dubbed "sea legs". It happens to me for a few days after I arrive home from a cruise. I hope you feel better soon!

Hello-my story is ironic-i was fortunate enough to grow up in the 1960s w/parents who liked to cruise & had family in England and New Zealand.

By the time i was 16 I had been on @ 10 cruises w/each one being 3-6 wks w/never any problems of any kind(i never get seasick at all). I also lived on a boat while growing up for 8 yrs and took many trips to catalina & out for day sails . I did experience "getting my land legs back" pretty much after every boating trip i ever went on, be it 1 day or 6 wks, but that meant a little swaying around, nothing even bothersome.

cut to 2/03-my first cruise since 1975-i had been dreaming @ going for years but raising a family etc-we go on a 4 day LA to Ensenada run. I am fine on the ship, but OMG I arrive home to become very ill.

Within 3 hrs of disembarking the ship-i was at home throwing up-feeling very sick, dizzy-i could not walk a straight line. i was giddy all the time 24/7. This intense part lasted 1 wk(I had to call in sick for 5 days!!!), but the symptoms of being dizzy/giddy continued for 6 months-gradually lessening over time.

Upon my arrival home and realizing this wasnt going away, i did research on the net & found Mal de Disembarkment(sickness of the land). I had all the classic sympoms & I did find articles stating that if you are suffering from this-have your dr perscribe 7 days of valium-which i did and it helped a bit(i was still dizzy, but not as bad/or didnt care :).

I also learned that before you cruise to start taking bonine & ginger 2 days prior & continue throughout the cruise & 2 days post cruise. I have been on 2 cruises since then & have followed the above regime and can thankfully say have had no problems since the 1st attack.

My mother had brain surgery @ UCLA 09/04 and the nuero surgeon was very fasinated to learn of my having mal de disembarkment; he was doing some kind of research @ the illness/syndrome & told me how rare it is. The Dr said they have found an association w/mal de dis., migranes and certain nuero issues/problems.

It is very rare, so dont let it stop you from cruising-even after i had it and finally got better-i did cruise again & am so thankful my homecoming was not a rocky one. I am sharing my story so if there is someone out there suffering-get medical help!

When my family & friends found out I was going to do an Alaska cruise in 07/04-they thought i was nuts. I had to go again, i had fallen in love w/cruising as an adult & really felt like it wouldnt happen again. I followed the above regime & I was A-OK-PERFECT!! The same for the repo cuise 10/05.

So thats my mal de disembarkment story & thanks for reading it. Liz

Seaglass, please consider Lizzybell's post as it contains valuable information.

I returned from Alaska on June 22nd and am still swaying/rocking/minor headache combined with tinnitis (no "ringing" in my ear,but a droning sound, like when you're in an airplane). The ENT doc did a hearing test, scope inside my nose/throat, ENG test (where the intent is to make you dizzy/spinning to see how affected your inner ear is), sent me for an MRI and then to a neurologist. All tests were negative.

The only conclusive thing he came up with is that I've had some kind of damage to my inner ear. Not enough to cause hearing loss or full on dizziness (like the room spinning, nausea, etal.), but just enough to feel uncomfortable. Nothing life threatening, but not a normal feeling either. I did catch a cold while on vacation and perhaps a bacteria or something has affected my inner ear.

We also talked about mal debarquement (sp?) and it is a real thing. It can last for months.

I've been on several cruises in varying ocean conditions (even went kayaking this last time in Alaska) and have never come home with this swaying business. Personally, I suspect it may be hormonal related.

Nonetheless, you may want to consider going to the doctor.

Lizzybell: was your mother treated by Dr. Hain at UCLA? I've read a lot about him.

Sorry this turned out to be so long, but I've gotten such valuable info from these boards and if this helps seaglass or anyone else or rings a bell for somebody, then it's worth it.

Phew! done

Aloha,

Noreen

Having been in the Navy and were on destroyers, this is a common feeling that you are experiencing. In a few days, you will get back your "land" legs!

Exactly, I work on ships and spend 10 months of the year aboard. So when I go home the first few days are the hardest, everything seems so very still and the noise or lack of it is disturbing. However, it is temporary and soon goes away.

jjduck I see from your siganture that you saild on the Queen Mary in 1959. What a wonderful experince that must have been? I stayed onboard the QM overnight last year when I disembarked the CCL Pride after my contract finished. I had the Churchill Suite. It was fantastic and full of history which is a passion of mine. Also at night when all the visiters go you can walk around on your own. I went in the engine rooms at 10:00pm which was quite spooky! Would recommend that to anyone who has the chance.

Everytime I get in a hotel room shower I feel the "motion". We just got back from the beach and I swear the shower at the Holiday Inn at Myrtle Beach had "motion". I would think: "must be some waves out there tonight" and then I realized I was in a hotel room shower and not on a ship...........what a bummer. Even if I was at the beach, I'd rather be on a ship. LOLOL

But I swear, everytime I get in a shower at a hotel, I "feel" the motion of the ocean.........

Sea Glass,

You've brought back some memories from my first cruise. I also was fine most of the time on our trip to Alaska until we got off the ship.

Wow, imagine my surprise when I felt my kitchen floor doing "the wave". It felt like our house had been put on stilts while we were away.....:eek:

A new friend from the cruise quickly identified it as "land rock" & mentioned it gets worse while taking a shower. All I could do over the next few days was to take gravol & get lots of rest.

However I was told what do to for next time & it works like a charm.

I also now buy Bonine and start taking it 1 to 2 days prior to sailing, I always take 1 at night before going to bed (wether you think you need it or not); I will also take 2 at night if we're on "sea days" or if we're experiencing a few waves. Then I take 1 a day for two days.

What a difference it has made, I only feel a slight tummy discomfort for a couple of hours (if that).

I'd rather prevent the "feeling" than get that sick again. I also found that Bonine doesn't make me feel drowsy like Gravol does and It's ok to have 1 or two drinks.

Hope this works for you - I'm sure you don't want to go through it again.

I'm very grateful for Bonine since I love cruising very much.

I don't use meds but have never been seasick even with extended periods of heavy seas on transatlantic and transpacific crossings. I have never experienced any of the "post-cruise" unsteady feelings you people are reporting. Then again, I love the motion of the ocean particularly when my bed is oriented perpendicular to the long axis of the ship, and especially in combination with very rough seas conditions. Works for me. Now that is cruising!!!!

Different strokes...:D

Count me among those who suffer from "land sickness" when I get home from a cruise. The worst time for me is when I'm sitting in front of my computer... which is bad because my job is basically sitting in front of this computer for 10 hours a day! I will also say that taking Bonine when I get home does help. Our rule to help us remember is just to take one in the morning when you brush your teeth. I rarely need them on the days we cruise, but I definitely start them the day before we get home and continue for a couple of days afterwards. Never been sea-sick... and I even sailed thru a hurricane with my sister!

:)

The worst time for me is when I'm sitting in front of my computer... which is bad because my job is basically sitting in front of this computer for 10 hours a day!

I guess you are going to have to give up CruiseCritic. Either that or your job.

Thanks everyone...I hate to report this, but I woke up today..three days after the Crown cruise and the bed was still rocking and so is my office where this computer is...wish I had a balcony with the sea outside.... Then I could pretend that I am still on a ship...Unfortunately the view out my window is grass and some flowers that died when I was away...

Also my stomach is upset, is that part of this disorder...????

I am going to buy the bonine today...

I keep thinking about my next cruise to Alaska...don't know which ship to go on for a 7 day cruise (???????)...and then I think, if this happens again I won't be happy....BUT still I want to cruise...:eek:

[quote name='derf5585']I guess you are going to have to give up CruiseCritic. Either that or your job.[/quote]

Perish the thought of the first... but I'd be willing to accept the second if I could afford it!! :D

Noreen-i am sorry you also got this, its really a mystery, but sailors refer back to it in the 1600's, so its been around a long time. Yours sounds like its gradually getting better over time also.

TBH, mom had so many surgeons @ UCLA & it wasnt her reg surgeon-it was another nuero spec called in to consult(nerve damage due to prior brain surgery). It could have been him, he was more interested in my MdD than my poor moms brain injury-she actually got quite irratated at him being so fasincated w/MdD.

The ginger & bonine worked for me the last 2 cruises, but i do believe that I should be on the ocean 24/7/365 for me to be completely "cured"-maybe w/a dr note & ..... :) Liz

I've also had the "land sickeness" after a cruise. First time it lasted 9 days and I was miserable. Thought I had a brain tumor or something.

I discovered CC before the next cruise and Derf's links. Wow! I didn't have a brain tumor after all...just MDD. (Thank you Derf!!)

I took Bonine each evening 2 days before cruise, during cruise and for 3 days after. I still rocked when we got home, but it was much less intense than the first time and it dissapated after 4 days. What a relief!

To the OP: Your rocking will go away. Try to relax and keep telling yourslef that it will go away. The rocking could be aggrivated by stress/anxiety so try relax when you can, and know that this is a problem that many people have after a cruise. Let us know how you're doing...

I had the same problem the first 2 days...my desk was definitely rocking back and forth. Mom had no problems at all. My biggest problem is now that I am home....no one is cooking for me and bringing me meals! Boy do I miss that.

Still working on photos and review...have Wed and Thurs off work this week so hopefully then.

Hope all the 8/7 folks are feeling better.

I came down with laryngitis 3 days after the cruise...probably too much talking about it!
Kathy

Hi everyone. Well I am still rocking in the morning and when at my computer. I finally called my doctor today. He is giving me some meds called , I think, antivert, will pick it up later. He said if it doesnt work I have to go to a neurologist. Ahhhhhhhhh, I cant do that, I have to plan another cruise.

I will let you know the exact name of the medication when I get it. I also miss having food served to me, I am ravenous.............:rolleyes:

I have always had a problem with the after effects of a cruise or long boat ride of any kind. We live on the lake and spend a good part of the summer on the water so when I start to feel like that, I have found that ginger tablets work wonders. I start taking them before I even leave home and take one or two a day the whole cruise and flight home. Works like a charm and also stops indigestion if I happen to eat too much. (not that anyone ever does that on a cruise!)

Antivert is for verdigo and works sort of the same way the other drugs work for motion sickness. You will feel drowsey so may not want to drive and no alcohol either. Try the ginger...no side effects at all.

Archived