Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luvcrusin'

What to choose in Bora Bora??

We will be in Bora Bora form 12:00 noon the first day until 5:00PM the second day. We can only do so much....help us decide! Teiva Tours, Waverunners, Taravana Sunset cruise? So much to do, so little time.:eek:

For those of you who have "been there, done that".....what do you recommend?:confused:

Kathy

A wonderful excursion - I am an non-swimmer and thought it was just the greatest thing I have ever done. We both loved it. You should also go to Bloody Mary's - a fun place where you should drink a (surprise, surprise!) Bloody Mary!!

Patnicc,

Can you please tell me more about the Aqua Safari and where does one book it. Thanks.

Jennie

We had a great time with Teiva Tours, and wouldn't hestitate to book with them again! I don't think you can go wrong on Bora Bora, and you'll have a wonderful time with whatever activity you choose! Enjoy!

A wonderful excursion - I am an non-swimmer and thought it was just the greatest thing I have ever done. We both loved it. You should also go to Bloody Mary's - a fun place where you should drink a (surprise, surprise!) Bloody Mary!!

What's up? Was meaning to send you and Bill an email today Any ideas about booking something? LuAnn

Hi Jennie, more info about the Aqua Safari for you, also called a seabed walk. It is on Bora Bora. We had read about this so many times on CC boards and had decided to give it a try. I am a non-swimmer and managed it without any bother, but if you are claustrophobic, you may not like it. It is a Princess excursion and is VERY popular, and you have to watch for Princess excursions for your cruise opening up, and then book it online right away. I had read about it everywhere as I said, but what really decided me to give it a go was looking at pics of people actually enjoying it. There is a super website called www.thepreismans.com where Mike and his wife Carol have posted reviews and pics from their trips. If you look at their TP trip to French Polynesia, you will see Carol enjoying the Aqua Safari. They put a large yellow helmet over your head and you can even keep your glasses on - I did. You literally walk around the seabed and see all these amazing fish. The water was only 12 feet deep, but for me that was DEEP. It was a major achievement for me and I am so thrilled I did it. If I can do it, so can you - enjoy!

Pat

PS Don't hesitate to ask if you want any more info.

pat,

Thanks for getting back. As soon as you mentioned the helmet and going underwater I knew what you were describing as I have read about it numerous times. Unfortunately I am claustrophobic so that would be out for me. I nearly drowned when I was 4 (I was under the water for a little while) and since then I find it very hard to put my head under the water let alone stay on the sea bed for anytime plus of course all the other things associated with being claustrophobic so that excursion is out for us which is a pity.

We will probably go to one of the hotels for the day and relax as we have been to Bora Bora before.

Jennie

....you must be sitting at your computer right now! That's a pity you are claustrophobic, but there's no point in trying if you will not be happy with it. We considered the submarine on Bora Bora, but it goes down outside the lagoon, in deeper therefore darker water. It's also quite expensive, $150 this year if I remember correctly, but again you may not like it if you are claustrophobic. I didn't meet anyone who had done it, so I don't know how good it is.

Have been to Oz twice, loved Melbourne, and surprisingly enough, we met a Scottish couple on the TP in July who emigrated to Australia a number of years ago although you wouldn't know it - their Scottish accents are as strong as ever. They live on the Mornington Peninsula. (Great wineries there - have been to several!!!)

You will love this trip, there is almost a magic about these islands.

Pat

Yes Pat, I am sitting here at the computer.

Our daughter, son in law and grandchildren all live down at Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula which is amongst all the wonderful wineries. We love going down there as there are some great restaurants. Small world isn't it!

We are looking forward to this cruise on the T.P. We did the Cook Islands/Tahiti Cruise in 2004 and have always wanted to return. Going on to Hawaii is a bonus for us.

Jennie

You must be into Tuesday morning, Jennie, we are still on Monday evening, but very nearly Tuesday, in fact my other half has already gone to bed! Better go and catch up on some sleep!

Enjoy your cruise!

Pat

I will definitely do the Aqua Safari in BB. Sounds like a lot of fun. Is it possible to take pictures with an underwater camera while doing this? Does the tour company take any pictures or video? I plan to do this excursion through Princess. Thank you.

Dot73, the Aqua Safari tour through Princess is great, however they do not take pictures or video (that would be an excellent upgrade). However, you can take your own underwater camera and take lots of pictures while walking on the ocean floor...no problem! This was a great tour!

It really looks like fun. I'm on btb cruises and may end up doing this excursion twice. I love snorkelling but have always been scared to try scuba diving. If my funds hold out, I may also try the intro to scuba excursion. There are so many great excursions on this itinerary.

We are not big photographers, so we just bought the underwater camera which was being sold at the photography desk on the TP. $20 to buy, and for an extra $5 they developed the pics as well. Not the most wonderful quality, but absolutely fine for us. It also has a built-in flash which I used for every pic as it was a rainy day and not too bright on the seabed. You will love it, it is such fun. VERY popular, so as I said on another thread, watch for Princess excursions opening up and book fast. They only take 3 lots of 12 or 16 people on each of the 2 Bora Bora days. Enjoy!!

Pat

Thank you for the tip about the underwater camera on the TP. For that price, it's not worth bringing your own and risking the x-rays. I love snorkelling and have been looking at an Olympus small digital camera that takes pictures under water up to about 3 metres. It's a bit pricey ($500 Canadian) but apparently takes great pictures. Maybe Santa will be good to me. Only 157 days to go!!!

We will be in Bora Bora form 12:00 noon the first day until 5:00PM the second day. We can only do so much....help us decide! Teiva Tours' date=' Waverunners, Taravana Sunset cruise[/b']? So much to do, so little time.:eek:

For those of you who have "been there, done that".....what do you recommend?:confused:

I just had to pop in here and mention Moana tours. My DH and I had booked the "honeymoon special" for the 2 of us and ended up with 5 of us on the tour back in November. It was the best ever!!! The tour was 6 hours....rays, snorkling with sharks, saw many many dolphins, saw the manta rays and a picnic in the water that was absolutely amazing, and then more snorkling. Our guide was fantastic (he even caught a fish while we were out to cook along with our lunch) It is a bit pricey but worth every penny and then some. This tour is first on my list when I start booking our tours for when we go back in 2008!!

Not sure what you're looking for but for what it's worth, we were recently in Bora Bora and just bought a tour on the pier. A charming young French (Swiss) fellow with a well-equipped small boat offers a 2 or 4 hour lagoon tour. We opted for the 2 hour one which took us out into the pass where we learned about the reef formation, then around Motu Tapu to the lagoon where we stopped for snorkelling at the Coral Garden, had photos taken of us with our ship in the distance (he's a photographer as well). Then, far too soon, it was time for my sister and to be dropped off at Bloody Mary's as we had made plans to meet friends there for lunch.

Two other couples who had chosen the extended tour continued on and reported having had a supreme afternoon -- out to a private motu and champagne on the beach. The tour operator, who BTW is tall, blond, and extraordinarily good looking :D -- is Damian. He was a capable boatsman, very knowledgeable about Bora Bora and has a deep love for the place. We never once felt as though we were getting the running commentary or that he was just putting in time, something we did experience on other occasions. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

This was easily one of our best memories. But then, Bora Bora is such an incredibly beautiful place, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Rose

We have been trying to email Damien with email addresses provided by a Cruise Critic member but keep getting a failure to deliver message. Do you know how to get a hold of him. We have heard this tour is fantastic. Maybe it is just easier to get a hold of him on the dock???? What do you think?

Yes, that's him. Don't be concerned about the fact that his site is in French, his English is very good.

Rose

Just checked Damian's website again. You are right, Rose, he is good looking. I just may want to spend the whole day with him.:p ;)

Hi Dot,

If we're going to be giggly girls for a minute, Damien is actually even better looking now than on the website -- longer hair, sort of "Beach Boy" ish. But the best thing about him is his nature >> he's just such a nice, sweet guy, quick to smile, and likes to make people happy ie. makes very sure you're having a wonderful time.

I emailed him to see if he has an English website and he replyed saying he hopes to have both English and Japanese sites running by the end of the year.

So there you go!

All the best,

Rose

While surfing the net for Bora Bora, I came across this website that refers to a Damian. http://www.boraboraphotolagon.com. The website is in French. His contact is in the website.

Go to http://www.freetranslation.com and plug in Damian's web page. You can choose what language you want the French translated to and then, viola! The entire web page comes up in English, or whatever translation you choose!!:D

Go to www.freetranslation.com and plug in Damian's web page. You can choose what language you want the French translated to and then, viola! The entire web page comes up in English, or whatever translation you choose!!:D

Another site to use for translations would be Babel Fish Translations , which works the same way.

You may notice minor differences in the translated text between the two sites. One translation service may work better than the other for a particular foreign-hosted website. Try both and see which works better for you.

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes! ( If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced, high-paying world of Latin! )