• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Question on train from Civitavecchia to Rome

jeffejo

The Trenitalia schedule shows two stops prior to arrival at the main terminal in Rome, Rome Tras & Rome Ost. Has anyone gotten off at either of these stops that could tell me where they are. Was thinking of mayve getting off at one of these and walking to the main terminal for trhe return to Civiavecchia.

I haven't used either of those stations but I think they are quite a way out. You may want to consider getting off at St peter's and working your way from there through Piazza Navonna, the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps. Then taxi or metro to colosseum, forum, walking back to main termini station. It's a lot of walking though! Taxis in Rome are not very expensive and can save a lot of time and aching legs, though the traffic is sometimes clogged up.

The Trenitalia schedule shows two stops prior to arrival at the main terminal in Rome, Rome Tras & Rome Ost. Has anyone gotten off at either of these stops that could tell me where they are. Was thinking of mayve getting off at one of these and walking to the main terminal for trhe return to Civiavecchia.

I would say the Rome Tras= Rome Trastevere, and Rome Ost=Rome Ostia.

Tras (if I'm right) is almost near Termini (main station in Rome) and Ost. is a beach town. It's 1 hr or so outside Rome.

Stazione Trastevere is in the more modern part of Rome west of the river. It is still quite a walk form there to the interesting historic quarter of Trastevere. Thus the station is not that interesting for tourist unless you want to take a bus from there.

Stazione Roma Ostiense is of much more use (I got off there in July.) It is close to

- the pyramide of Caius Caestius

- porta S. Paolo, part of the aurelian wall

- the Aventin with eg. the churches of S. Anselmo, S. Alessio and S. Sabina. The later church is one of the most ancient churches in Rome with wonderful doors carved in wood from the 4th century.

- the via ostiense

- the metro station Piramide, tho stations from where the Basilica di S. Paolo furi le Mura is located

- in the opposide direction it is one station to the circo massimo and two stations to the colloseum

In July I visited the pyramide, went up the Aventin, visited the churches, enjoyed the view over Rome (eg. through the famous key hole of the Maltesian knights and from a very nice garden), went down past the circus maximus and the Palatin, had a snack at a bar, continued past the Bocca di Veritas, took a bus to the Piazza Navonna, another bus to Saint Peter and went back from Stazione S. Pietro.

Could this be the train station to access to get to Ostia Antica? The directions I found say to take the Metro to Stazione Piramide and then the train to Ostia Antica. It sounds like we do not have to go all the way to the Main Station from Civitavecchia but can get off at Ost and transfer to the train to Lido station and get off at Ostia Antica. Can someone please confirm this or correct me. Thanks.

Could this be the train station to access to get to Ostia Antica? The directions I found say to take the Metro to Stazione Piramide and then the train to Ostia Antica. It sounds like we do not have to go all the way to the Main Station from Civitavecchia but can get off at Ost and transfer to the train to Lido station and get off at Ostia Antica. Can someone please confirm this or correct me. Thanks.

Almost. The train from Civitavecchia stops at Stazione Roma Ostiense FS, the train to Ostia departs from Stazione Roma Ostia. These two stations are just 200 metres away from each other.

The metro station Piramide is next to Staz. Roma Ostia. Nevertheless you will be much faster by leaving at Roma Ostiense and walk over.

How reliable are the trains? How often do they run?

The trains from Civitavecchia to Rome run about twice every hour. The are normally quite reliable. Nevertheless, as always when visiting a place far from port, you should plan for some contingency. Last time, my train back to the ship was delayed by 75 minutes. You need to be aware of the possibility (like those of traffic congestions on the street) but I would regard this as very rare event and certainly will use the train again.

Thanks you so much. I was so lucky to read this thread. I would have gone to the Main Staion and then ended up taking the train back to where I had just been. The 200 meters walk sounds like a great plan.

We too have taken the train frequently with no bad experiences but we do make alternative plans. Thanks again.

A friend told me the train from Civitavecchia to Rome made a stop near the Vatican prior to arriving at the main terminal but I guess thats not correct. Maybe they were thinking of the line to the airport.

It is correct that the train makes a stop near the Vatican before getting to the Main Staion and it is very convenient to get off there. From there you can walk or take a bus about 2 stops to the outside perimeter of Vatican Square. You can see St. Peter's from the train as you approach the stop and from the bus.

Now my question is this - We were told that if you ride the train in Italy the bus at the station is then free. Does anyone know if this is corrrct? We got on the bus and no one checked tickets. Some local peole told us to just get on and that it was free(?)

Well the Trenitalia schedule from Civtavecchia to Rome only lists two stops, Roma TRAS & Roma TE before arriving at the main terminal for the 8:41 AM departure, which is the one I'm planning on taking.

The stop for St Peter's (Vatican) is called Sant Pietro I think, and it's the third stop before Termini. The train I was on 2 weeks ago certainly stopped there but it was a bit later. It did make a few earlier stops as well, so perhaps your train is an express.

Now my question is this - We were told that if you ride the train in Italy the bus at the station is then free. Does anyone know if this is corrrct? We got on the bus and no one checked tickets. Some local peole told us to just get on and that it was free(?)

I believe the ticket you are referring to is the BIRG (biglietto Integrato regionale giornaliero) ticket -- not a regular point to point train ticket. You purchase it (at tobacco shops for instance) and once validated, the ticket is good for transportation on the trains, metro and buses for 24 hours. The cost for Civitavecchia to Rome was about 9 euros (the cost is based upon zones crossed).

I just did this trip myself last week and it worked out perfectly. Once off the ship, we took the free port shuttle to the entrance to the port. Get off and walk down the street about 5 minutes to the station. Ask for the BIRG ticket at the counter (9Euro). Be sure to validate it in the yellow machine before going out to the tracks. We went to Termini station (about 1hr 20min). We took the metro 2 stations south to the Coloseum station. From there, we walked through the Forum and out past the Victor Emanual monument. Then we walked to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps (all very easy to find). There is a metro station by the Spanish Steps, so we jumped on and went to Octaviano station for St. Peter's which was about a 10 minute walk. When we left St. Peter's, we went out the opposite direction for another 10 minute walk to the San Pietro Station where we caught the train back to the port. I had never done this type of touring on my own, but I found it very easy (even did it in Florence and worked out just as well). Just be sure to have several train times written down and aim to catch maybe one train early than you have to have. In case you miss it, there is a back up train.

A friend told me the train from Civitavecchia to Rome made a stop near the Vatican prior to arriving at the main terminal but I guess thats not correct. Maybe they were thinking of the line to the airport.
I am looking at the 8:41 departure and it does stop at San Pietro.
Yes, the train from Civitavecchia does stop near the Vatican. When looking at the schedule on the Trenitalia web site, click on the number next to the departure time in the first "info" column. On the next page, click on the train number (i.e. 2335 for the 8:41 departure from Civitavecchia). This will then bring up the full itinerary which indeed shows the S. Pietro station as the first stop in Rome at 9:27.

I am planning to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, but having been there many times before, want to go to the Zoo this time. I believe it is in the Borghese Gardens...does anyone know the train stop I should take to be closest to take a taxi to the Zoo? All help is appreciated...please email me directly at Poohwear@Aol.com, I don't know if I can find the answer here again. Thanks!:o

I am planning to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, but having been there many times before, want to go to the Zoo this time. I believe it is in the Borghese Gardens...does anyone know the train stop I should take to be closest to take a taxi to the Zoo? All help is appreciated...please email me directly at Poohwear@Aol.com, I don't know if I can find the answer here again. Thanks!:o
You will want to take the train all the way to Termini, the main station. From there, you can take the Metro (Line A) to Spagna or Flaminio, and then walk through the park to the zoo, which is now called the "Bioparco". It is located on the north end of the park on Viale del Giardino Zoologico. You can also reach the zoo via tram numbers 3 or 19, but I do not have any info. on those.

We plan to take the train from the FCO airport to Termini when we start our cruise (3 days early). I assume this is fairly easy to do. We're also planning on taking the train from Termini (near our hotel) to Citt. - this also sounds easy and straightforward (and should cost 9E each, I assume). I'm not perfectly clear on these directions but I think I can look them up in previous posts. My main question: if we take the train back from Citt. to FCO, should we get off at a stop and change trains before Termini to go directly to the airport? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Thanks, Lucy

Lucy,

We did what you plan to do. From the airport to Termini (the area where we stayed) we took the Leonardo express for 9,50 euros pp.

From Civit. to the airport I think you have to go back to Termini (we did and spent a night), then take the Leonardo Express to the airport.

I couldn't find any other options. Maybe someone else has more info. of a better connection.

you need to go all the way to termini station and then on to the airport but it is very easy. spend 7.5 euros instead of 4.5 from civiteveccia for a compartment instead of a standard car. this way you can have you luggage with you under your direct sight.

There is an option of going from Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense. From there, you take a train to Fiumicino. The wait at Roma Ostiense for the connecting train to the airport is about 10-12 minutes. The total trip time including the stop takes about 90-100 minutes. There are usually about two trains an hour running this route.

DonLou is right, you only have to go to Termini if you are catching the Leonardo Express. For other options, go to www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html, select Civitavecchia as the departure station and Fiumicino Aeroporto as the arrival station, and this will bring up a schedule. There are options connecting through Ostiense as well as Trastevere.

Archived