• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

I am new

mamaskittles

I am new to cruise critic but not to cruising. In fact I am new to message boards totally and I have a few questions...

Is the purpose of the board to criticize fellow travelers and their opinions or to discuss aspects of cruising ?

I ask this because I have been reading cruise critic since my sister discovered it about a month ago. Many if not a majority of the posts are informative, funny, and downright enjoyable to read. However, a good portion of them are scathing commentaries on fellow travelers.

My questions are as follows;

Why on earth does someone care if a person wears a pair of jeans to dinner formal or not. If that person is not at your table or taking pic's with you why do you care. Maybe they saved for years to go on this cruise and they don't own or can't afford "casual resort wear" and dressed in their nicest pair of jeans.

Why would anyone allow other peoples children to ruin their trip. I have no problem telling a child to stop what ever it is they are doing wrong. Children need direction and if the parent is unable to provide it someone needs to, for the child's sake as well as the adults. If the kid is a brat and wont listen go to security that is what they are there for. That said, I don't mean kids should not be allowed to have fun. I mean they should not be allowed to ruin other peoples fun.

Why do people on boards feel it is OK to criticize fellow passengers because of their weight. I have read many a review where the poster describes the obese feeding at the troughs of the buffets. Cruel.

Smoking is still legal. All smokers should follow the rules or you should report them. But your rights as a nonsmoker are no more valuable than a smokers. They paid to be there too.

If someone want to smuggle anything short of a bomb, gun, illegal intoxicant, indentured servant on or off the ship, why does anyone care? As long as it's not in my luggage or beach bag it's none of my business.

And what is up with instant gratification. Yes there are lines, oh well everyone in that line paid to be there too. Security takes longer now, thank goodness, not everyone knows how to fill out the forms in advance, and heaven forbid someone may have a question or two. I would much rather wait in peace with my fellow passengers than hear all the gripping from the me firsters.

For years I have apologized for the weather. Thank goodness I have discovered cruise critic... now I know it's Carnival's fault. How silly.

Well that's it I guess I have many more but I guess I will be in enough trouble for his one so I better quit while I'm still ahead.:)

not all of us criticize other pax or fellow readers. I have gotten a wealth of information from these boards, and even though I've only cruised one time......so far, if there's a question I know the answer to, I'm happy to answer that poster. Heaven knows plenty of people helped me. As far as who wore what to dinner, I could have cared less, but tried to fit in to what the evening called for. If they can't afford to dress up, that's what Tiffany's is for. Carnival is the company requesting a certain type of dress, not us. As far as the weight thing, personally, I've never commented on someone else's weight, nor would I as I am self-conscience of my own. As far as other children went, I was busy keeping up with my own, but agree on getting security should it come to that point. I believe a cruise is what you make of it, personally, I had a blast, and can't wait to do it again. I was bound and determined to have a great time before I left, and we did.:) I have thanked countless times everyone for their help, enjoy coming on to read what people have experienced, or what they are curious about. It's nice to talk about things we all understand, and even read the things we don't that we may understand one day. It's nice to laugh and joke about things, as long as it isn't hurtful to someone. In my opinion, for whatever it counts, 'cause that's pretty much all you see on these boards are opinions, (good or bad, agreed with or not), as well as true experiences, you've raised some good questions, and no I don't see where you should be in trouble as you worded it. I hope you continue to read the boards, and maybe you can help me one day, or I you.:)

Amen!! All I can offer you is that the good FAR outweigh the bad on here. You have pretty much hit on all the "HOT" topics I try to steer clear of....but every once in a while, I'll read them just to see how heated they get before they get pulled!

Maybe your post will help to "curb" some attitudes!

Welcome....and I hope you stick around!

Deb

Why worry about others negative thoughts? I use this board for the valuble information it's swimming in!:) I am grateful for the wealth of info and tips everyone has provided. I feel well informed and prepared for my first cruise. Some folks cannot be pleased and should not be a thorn in my side. Don't get me wrong...I listen to the bad stuff too - only to prevent my own misfortunes;)

So you want to know (in essense) why certain people feel the need to insult and or criticize others on a message board?

Answer: Because they are caustic little cowards who will bit*ch and moan about everyone and everything because they need try and feel superior to them. They will be the first to complain but the last to take action. They need to do this because they are on some level aware that they haven't quite evolved as sucessfully as the rest of us and need the safe anonymity of an internet message board to mumble their ignorance... In doing so they they fantasize that this makes them seem to others reading they they possess some semblence of what they are sorely lacking-intelligence...

Psst to Bubbles- remember what Mamaskittles said at the beginning of her post-that she found most of the info here fun and enjoyable so I am quite sure that you are not one of the people she was referring to:)

anyway Mamaskittles that rant was wonderful and so true-you expressed it quite eloquently, might I add!:D

So you want to know (in essense) why certain people feel the need to insult and or criticize others on a message board?

Answer: Because they are caustic little cowards who will bit*ch and moan about everyone and everything because they need try and feel superior to them. They will be the first to complain but the last to take action. They need to do this because they are on some level aware that they haven't quite evolved as sucessfully as the rest of us and need the safe anonymity of an internet message board to mumble their ignorance... In doing so they they fantasize that this makes them seem to others reading they they possess some semblence of what they are sorely lacking-intelligence...

Psst to Bubbles- remember what Mamaskittles said at the beginning of her post-that she found most of the info here fun and enjoyable so I am quite sure that you are not one of the people she was referring to:)

anyway Mamaskittles that rant was wonderful and so true-you expressed it quite eloquently, might I add!:D

pssstttt to Soft---ty;) I wasn't taking it personally, was trying to give some insight to how I am:eek: she may not wanna know:p and I don't mean that in a bad way

Bubbles-loved your pictures we have only 11 days until our first cruise on the Legend out of NY your pics gave me a headstart on what a great time we are going to have.

ps was that really your first time on an airplane and did you enjoy it? :)

Mama, I could not have said it better myself! Your observations are right on the money, but since the cruise boards are run by, poplated by, and contributed to by humans, sometimes those kind of things happen. Hopefully, posts like yours can remind all of us that we could all sometimes use a reminder occasionally.:)

I think you hit the nail on the head!! thank you for saying what so many of us are thinking. I am one who has been blasted for voicing my opinion. Everyone has thier own opinion some agree, some disagree but no one has the right to tell us our OWN opinions are wrong. :)

LOL! Don't you just hate it when those *#@$* insult or criticize others on a message board?:D :D

:) Great new thread. Only wish you had put it in more areas like Fashion Board, First Time Cruiser, Ask a Cruise Question. I, like you, get so much great info on CC, but it does sometimes take me back a bit when a thread is going along in a positive fashion, and someone :mad: comes along and posts such a negative response that it feels like you got gut punched !!! Do ya'll know what I mean ??? I do sometimes respond to the rude poster, but You know that does not change one thing for them - rude is rude - and for others to say they are just stating "their opinion" - rude is still rude and we don't need it. I feel so refreshed after reading all of your posts. Thanks to each of you. :) gg

Archived