Just back from the Triumph

ryanb12553

Just back from the Triumph this week and haven't got to posting a review but until I do feel free to ask away...The Main singers, the cruise director and the main showroom orchestra director were all brand new at the start of this cruise and it was barely noticeable, so ask away...

WHere did you cruise too on the Triumph? We set sail to the Western Caribbean in April. Would you highly recommend any specific Excursions? We are working on choosing those right now.

PLEASE TELL!! How did you like the ship? THANKS!

We did the eastern route and it was amazing. Many said that the ship shows it's age but we were on the Glory last year which is considered a new ship and noticed no difference in the condition of both ships. Something was always being cleaned. Aside from the Purser's desk, the staff was friendly and did a wonderful job. The cruise director was good but not as funny as Mark Price. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

WHere did you cruise too on the Triumph? We set sail to the Western Caribbean in April. Would you highly recommend any specific Excursions? We are working on choosing those right now.

Just off the same trip --

The Triumph Eastern went to San Juan, St. Thomas and St Maarten.

We would highly recommend the BioBay excursion in San Juan (I wrote a review in the Port of Call board) -- and we did the Barefoot Sail and Snorkel in St. Thomas on The Dancing Dolphin - which was one of the best snorkeling excursions I've taken (also made a review of that excursion on the St. Thomas Port of Call board). On St. Maarten, we rented and car and drove around the island and went to Orient Beach.

We were on the Glory this year and I know Triumph is slightly smaller, is it very noticeable, or is it still a large ship? Only have Glory and Sensation to compare to.

Also, if you went to Miami a day early, where did you stay and how was it.

Heading to the San Juan board cause we are unsure what to do. Not sure if I even want to book anything, maybe just walk around on our own. Ryan, what did you guys do?

Looking forward to your review.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside -- it is old, but clean and comfortable. We had a huge room on the top floor - two double beds and a full sofa sleeper - huge windows that looked out on Bayside Market and the port. They had a small, but pretty and clean pool; reasonably secure parking in back; on site restaurant (we didn't use).

Can you tell us who the host is? Also, do you have copies of the capers? Thanks a bunch! We sail on September 30th!

The cruise director was Paul Stantley, and I'm sorry but I of course didn't remember to collect the capers until it was too late on the last day. The Triumph is truly a beautiful ship in great condition. I wish I was going with you in Sept!

We didn't do an excursion in San Juan. Members of our group had originally booked the catamoran snorkel in St. Thomas but that was cancelled the day before. They then rebooked for the St. John snorkeling excursion and that too was cancelled. Both times that the excursions were cancelled, carnival never told us so I would checkwhile on board that your excursions are still on because it would be a let down to be waiting on the pier for a cancelled excursion. But anyway they ended up going on the Christmas Cove snorkeling excursion which was a few miles from the Pirates of the caribbean 2 set in Tortola. They said that it was better and more beautiful than the snorkeling in Belize last year. So i highly reccomend the Christmas Cove Snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas. Other members of my party also went golfing at Mohagany Run in St. Thomas. They said that it was a beautiful, very challenging course that was worth all of the money. While in St. Maarten we all did the Divi Little Bay Beach Experience. This was an amazing excursion. The beach is beautiful and safe as is the resort. The food that they serve youfor lunch is pretty good as well. I highly reccomend this excursion. The ship is absolutely beautiful and I am sure that you will love it.

We were on the Glory this year and I know Triumph is slightly smaller, is it very noticeable, or is it still a large ship? Only have Glory and Sensation to compare to.

Heading to the San Juan board cause we are unsure what to do. Not sure if I even want to book anything, maybe just walk around on our own. Ryan, what did you guys do?

Looking forward to your review.

I was on the Glory last year and it is very hard to notice that the Triumph is smaller. The Triumph is still a very large ship. We did go to Miami a day early and we stayed at the Hyatt Regency which was a very nice hotel. When we arrived and went into our room someone else's bags were in there. Once we went back down to the front desk the manager apologized and upgraded us to the presidential suite for the night which was magnificent. This hotel has an enterprise car rental in it which makes it easy to rent a car from MIA to drive to your hotel and then return it at the hotel. It is then only a less then ten minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal. In San Juan we just walked around on our own and our party got the impression that san juan is a dump which in fact it is not i just think that we made some wrong turns while walking haha but i would definetly reccomend some type of tour through San Juan so that you can fully appreciate the city.

We also sail 9-16-06, so any hints or things that happened I would love to hear about it!!

What about pictures? can you post them?

What type of room did you get?

Thanks, Sam :cool:

We had an 8e. Cabin 8276. I have to say that the one downside to the triumph is the cabins. The decor in the cabins is a little worn and they are in need of some refurbishment. But is nothing unbearable. The cabins are just a bit dated. I will have pictures a little later in the week. The crew is friendly and courteous though I do have to say that the Purser's Information desk staff is very difficult to deal with if not down right rude at times. For our entire sailing at certain times during the day there would be a very strong odor in the hallway even out by the elevators of pot coming from a room and you could narrow it down to two rooms that it could be coming from. Now i would not have cared about it as much if i didn't have to drag my kids through it. Many people complained to the purser every single day and all we were told was that they were not the FBI or the CIA and that they have no control over what someone does in their own cabin. Aside from this, our cruise was perfect. Chair saving was not a problem for us as we always choose to layout on deck ten aft. It has a nice cool breeze and is just steps away from drinks in the lido buffet. The only other minor problem was of course jeans on formal night, but things like that don't really bother me. The Triumph is a beautiful ship and i also do not have one complaint about the food as it was excellent. The gift shop staff was also very friendly. i would definetly sail carnival again though i would like to try royal caribbean just to see what else is out there. Have Fun!

Looking at your ticker, wondering if you're going on the 4/28/07 sailing. We have a roll call started over in the roll call forums...only myself and one other person. You're more than welcome to pop by and help get it going!:D

I am new to the boards and am sailing on the Triumph on 9-23. I have a couple of questions. We are sailing with our 4 grandchildren (triplets -23 months and grandson 25 months). What are the high chairs like in the dining room and are they the same on the Lido deck? Also we have a balcony on the Verandah deck -starboard side (Rght side). When arriving in ports and in Miami, will we be facing land or water? Thanks for the info

I am new to the boards and am sailing on the Triumph on 9-23. I have a couple of questions. We are sailing with our 4 grandchildren (triplets -23 months and grandson 25 months). What are the high chairs like in the dining room and are they the same on the Lido deck? Also we have a balcony on the Verandah deck -starboard side (Rght side). When arriving in ports and in Miami, will we be facing land or water? Thanks for the info

The high chairs in the dining room looked like one you would see in a restaurant and all you had to do was ask for it the first night and then after that you wouldnt have to ask for it, it would just be there waiting for you at your table. I do not remember seeing high chairs on the Lido deck but that does not mean that they don't exist there, I just didn't see any. As for which side the ship docks, it is different on every voyage depending on a variety of factors. When we borded the ship in Miami, the starboard side was facing Miami and the port side was facing the water. In San Juan The Starboard side was along the dock as well. In St. Thomas the ship was docked on the port side. In St. Maarten The ship was docked on the starboard side. And when we were back in Miami it was docked on the port side. So it's very unpredictable.

When we borded the ship in Miami, the starboard side was facing Miami and the port side was facing the water. In San Juan The Starboard side was along the dock as well. In St. Thomas the ship was docked on the port side. In St. Maarten The ship was docked on the starboard side. And when we were back in Miami it was docked on the port side. So it's very unpredictable.

What, did you take notes on that?

:eek: :eek:

You must be some grandparents!!!!! Whew!! Better you than me, folks!:p

Just off the same trip --

The Triumph Eastern went to San Juan, St. Thomas and St Maarten.

We would highly recommend the BioBay excursion in San Juan (I wrote a review in the Port of Call board) -- and we did the Barefoot Sail and Snorkel in St. Thomas on The Dancing Dolphin - which was one of the best snorkeling excursions I've taken (also made a review of that excursion on the St. Thomas Port of Call board). On St. Maarten, we rented and car and drove around the island and went to Orient Beach.

Would you recommend renting a car on st martin? Good experiences with it? Bad? I am going on the Victory, Eastern in February. Cant wait to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ryan! We have done the Eastern Twice minus San Juan and had a blast but decided to try something different this time so it's western.

Gypsy Rose~~ We'll be boarding the Triumph the week AFTER YOU! If your doing the Eastern....the WILD AND MILD JEEP TOUR is FABULOUS!! FUN and you get to go to the french side of St. Maarten and get out and shop around a bit...VERY CLEAN! The jeep ride is in a caravan with about 6 others..FUN FUN FUN and it also makes several stops at a few different beaches and stuff...plenty of time for sunning, swimming, parasailing or anything you want!

We've also snorkeled at Turtle bay and took a sailboat over..very fun! So many things to do!!! EVERYTHING is fun! We also did a kayak adventure on our honeymoon that almost got us divorced since our double kayak had a big crack and was sucking water up and I thought my husband was trying to drown us! LOL....

The Glory is a great ship too! We had a blast! Just looking into excursions for the WESTERN!!

Swimming with the sting rays is on the list....still time to decide on others!

HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!

Archived