Rotterdam Formal Nights/Just off the 8/9 Baltic Cruise

nycatty35

My family and I just finished the August 9th Baltic Cruise on the Rotterdam. We are in our early 40's and traveled with our 2 sons (10 and 14). This was our first cruise on Holland Amreica, but our 10th as a family.

A few thoughts......

On the positive:

- Rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. The closets space is terrific

- The ship is magnificent! Classy and understated.

- Fresh flowers everywhere

- Staff very professional and friendly

- Food (other than breakfast) was terrific. While it is still mass produced, it is the first cruise that everything was served to us piping hot.

- Itinerary is fantastic

- Embarkation and disembarkation is a breeze and the most organized I have ever seen

- Fellow passengers were wonderful

On the negative:

- Formal and informal nights. Our cruise tickets indicated that there would be 3 formal nights and 3 informal nights. In reality, there was 2 formal nights and one informal night. This was a huge inconvience since we had packed for the 6 nights we were told we need to bring "special clothes". When traveling from the US with 4 people, this is a big deal. I find this completely inexcusable and unprofessional. On a whole, we were suprised at how casual the cruise actually was. While we enjoy dressing up while traveling, we would have packed completely differently had we been told. There were night when men were in jeans in the dining room.

- Breakfast at the Lido....how could they expect you to eat the SAME THING every morning for 13 days!!?!? The was no variety in the fresh fruit (which was dismal to begin with) or the offerings other than the mix-in in the pancakes

- Breakfast and lunch hours in the main dining room. Many days, breakfast and lunch (even on sea days) was only offered for one hour. It seems to me that the shortened hours in the dining room is a message that the cruise would rather not have people eat breakfast or lunch in the main dining room and want them to use the Lido Restaurant.

- Afternoon tea was offered for only 30 minutes a day. We attended twice and both times, they had run out of scones.

- Culinary Arts Center. Pitiful.

Overall, a fantastic trip.

Please email me if you want further details.

On the negative:

.... On a whole, we were suprised at how casual the cruise actually was. While we enjoy dressing up while traveling, we would have packed completely differently had we been told. There were night when men were in jeans in the dining room.....

Not intending to start an argument, but just my opinion- I HATE the thought of jeans in the dining room on the elegant Rotterdam, HAL's Flagship. Alaska is one thing, the Vista ships another. But can't HAL keep some traditional standards even on the Rotterdam, especially in Europe on such an upscale cruise? :(

I hate to see jeans in the dining room at night on any cruise at any time. Don't understand why its so hard to just put a nice pair of pants and shirt on for dinner. When I take a cruise, I don't even pack a pair of jeans.

-

Breakfast at the Lido....how could they expect you to eat the SAME THING every morning for 13 days!!?!? The was no variety in the fresh fruit (which was dismal to begin with) or the offerings other than the mix-in in the pancakes

Nycatty35, thanks for your comments! That is a great itinerary and Rotterdam a beautiful ship! Just a question on your Lido breakfast selection comments: we just came off the Prinsendam and had breakfast in the Lido just about everyday. Prinsendam's Lido had oranges, grapefruit, cantaloupes, honeydo melons, "stewed" bananas (in syrup), to name a few of the fruits.

As far as he variety, we had a choice of pancakes, french toast, Belgian waffles, omelettes (any style), eggs (any style) with bacon, hashbrown patties, sausages, steak, hot oatmeal, muesli, many different sorts of packaged cold cereals, etc. Didn't Rotterdam's Lido offer you those selections?

We were offered similar choices. I found the fruit to be very uninspired and (other than the fresh omelettes) nothing was very good. The choice of smoked salmon, cheese and meats never varied. I contrast this with the buffet breakfast last year on the Voyager of the Seas which was much fresher, varied and creative. We never went to the Dinig Room for breakfast once on the entire 10 day cruise.

We were offered similar choices. I found the fruit to be very uninspired and (other than the fresh omelettes) nothing was very good. The choice of smoked salmon, cheese and meats never varied. I contrast this with the buffet breakfast last year on the Voyager of the Seas which was much fresher, varied and creative. We never went to the Dinig Room for breakfast once on the entire 10 day cruise.

Okidoki, thanks!

I attended the only 2 demonstrations offered on the entire 12 night cruise. Both were 60 minutes and lead by the chef and assistant chef of the Pinnacle Grill. In both classes, while they were fun, neither of the chefs had read the recipes being presented and both prepared the dishes being demonstrated incorrectly. After all of the hype on the CAC, I clearly expected more focus and offerings available on a cruise of 12 nights.

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it. :)

I am puzzled about breakfast. Like Copper, I have seen almost everything you could want for breakfast in the Lido. Pancakes, french toast, hot cereal, cold cereal, ham, bacon, sausage, (corn beef hash -sometimes), lox, potatoes, eggs any way you want them, freshly made omelets, toast, bagels, cream cheese, jams, pastries, yogart, grapefruit, prunes, bananas, melons and different juices. Eggs benedict are only available in the dining room and on some ships room service.

About the only breakfast foods I haven't seen are Spam, Philly Scrapple, and good old SOS.

I am trying to understand what wasn't available. What did RCL have that Hal didn't? :confused:

Not intending to start an argument, but just my opinion- I HATE the thought of jeans in the dining room on the elegant Rotterdam, HAL's Flagship. Alaska is one thing, the Vista ships another. But can't HAL keep some traditional standards even on the Rotterdam, especially in Europe on such an upscale cruise? :(

Blame that on HAL, not on the passengers.

I just got documents for my upcoming cruise on the Amsterdam. In the "Know Before You Go" brochure ... under dress codes, it specifically states that they want passengers to be comfortable on casual nights and the only items that are forbidden in both the main dining room and the Lido during the evening hours are tee-shirts, bathing suits, tank tops and shorts. No mention whatsoever of jeans. So, apparently jeans are allowed and therefore you can't blame people for wearing them. And note that the Amsterdam is the Rotterdam's sister ship ... just as elegant.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The variety of food was boring and no very well presented. The fruits were unappetizing (especially afetr seeing the exact same choices for 12 days) and mariginally fresh. The bacon, sausage, ham trio was overcooked and cold every morning. Never once were we served toast that resembled toast (after asking for it dark ever time). In addition, the coffee tasted burnt every day.

The breakfast buffet on RCL was much larger and fresher. The selction of fresh and dried fruits was enough to satisfy......

I am puzzled about breakfast. Like Copper, I have seen almost everything you could want for breakfast in the Lido. Pancakes, french toast, hot cereal, cold cereal, ham, bacon, sausage, (corn beef hash -sometimes), lox, potatoes, eggs any way you want them, freshly made omelets, toast, bagels, cream cheese, jams, pastries, yogart, grapefruit, prunes, bananas, melons and different juices.

I think the OP was disappointed primarily in the fruit selection. Maybe it was poor due to the region the ship was sailing in and perhaps fresh fruits being scarce there?

I will say, though, that I always prefer breakfast in the Lido and have rarely eaten it in the dining room. Frankly, I think the selections are much more varied there and like you, I can't imagine any morning not being able to find something I could really enjoy there. The hot oatmeal with toppings ... the made-to-order waffles, eggs done any style ... what could be missing?

But I don't think you get quite that variety in the dining room ... and maybe the food doesn't always come out piping hot if the servers are extra busy?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Blame that on HAL, not on the passengers.

No mention whatsoever of jeans. So, apparently jeans are allowed and therefore you can't blame people for wearing them. And note that the Amsterdam is the Rotterdam's sister ship ... just as elegant.

I was blaming HAL- I clearly said HAL should keep traditional standards and nowhere did I blame the pax for wearing what HAL now allows. It is up to HAL to set the rules, not the pax. Jeans are now allowed on all the ships evidently, including the other Flagship Amsterdam I assume, but this thread was about the Rotterdam.

NYCatty35,

Did your cabin have a flat screen TV and DVD player?

Do you recall the show schedule, ie. did early diners see a show after dinner and the late diners see the show before dinner? I'm cruising with my parents in May and they like to eat early so they can see the show and not have to stay up too late. I prefer the late seating for dinner (8:00) so I'm hoping the show is before dinner and not after it.

Thanks!

On the dress code issue, I completely blame HAL. I am wondering whether your package lists the same number of formal and casual nights as ours did. How could they make such a glaring error?

My cruise is 13 days ... and it lists three formal nights, two informal and eight casual.

I agree ... that is a glaring error that your docs contained. Especially with the stricter weight limits on airline baggage, the least HAL can do is accurately reflect the dress codes so people can pack accordingly.

Do you know what I plan to do as for packing ... at least on cruises where I have to fly to the port? One outfit for formal nights ... everything else informal/casual. Also, there is a very thin line between casual and informal. The way I pack, I can pretty much wear the same thing for both. I generally don't wear jeans in the dining room anyway with the possible exception of the last night of the cruise. What I wear on casual night is generally acceptable for informal nights as well.

As for formal night ... I probably shouldn't say this because I might get my head taken off, but ... I have what is basically a tee-shirt ... black ... with multi-colored reinstones all along the neckline and front. Very attractive shirt ... I've actually gotten compliments on it ... but it's a tee-shirt. No two ways about it. That, a pair of velvet pants and a cute little jacket ... and I fit in just fine on formal night. Takes up very little room in the suitcase. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was blaming HAL- I clearly said HAL should keep traditional standards and nowhere did I blame the pax for wearing what HAL now allows. It is up to HAL to set the rules, not the pax. Jeans are now allowed on all the ships evidently, including the other Flagship Amsterdam I assume, but this thread was about the Rotterdam.

People who know me on this board know that I don't like to "gussy up" very much. However, even I am a bit concerned regarding the prohibition against jeans being dropped. Not that I have anything against jeans ... but by dropping the prohibition against them from the dress code requirements is going to give folks license to wear ANY manner of jeans to the dining room. If they are permitted, how are you going to stop people from wearing regular blue jeans, bleached, tattered, etc. to dinner? How can you stop that woman in the low riders ... whose butt cheeks are hanging out? How can you say that one person's jeans are acceptable, but another's aren't? So, the matri 'd is going to be pretty much powerless to stop anybody ... even that teenager with the bleach stains and holes in his jeans ... from entering the dining room. If he does try to enforce any sense of decorum, he will be at risk for accusations of discrimination ... and trust me, HAL isn't going to want that. So, basically it will be come one, come all.

I would have much preferred HAL have left that prohibition in the dress code, and then given the matri 'd some flexibility in allowing some people into the dining room on casual night wearing jeans ONLY if those jeans were clean, pressed and free of holes or other signs of wear. As it is now, you have the potential of the dining room looking just like your local Denny's Restaurant. People very well may be wearing torn jeans, low riders ... the works.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We had an 8:30 dinner seating. The majority of the nights, the shows were at 10:30. I believe that there were pre-dinner shows for us on 2 or 3 of the nights. There was a great flat screen tv with a dvd player in our cabin.

I am very disappointed to read that jeans are now considered acceptable attire for dinner in the main dining room aboard HAL ships. I have seen other mainstream lines decline rapidly after loosening up the dress code to jeans and feel that this will be a first step in the same direction.

I am recently back from a RCI cruise and was amazed at the clothing worn to dinner in the formal night despite the posting that "short, t-shirts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner". I would estimate that about 30% of the men were in casual short/T shirt combinations with athletic shoes and about 10% of the ladies. I saw a couple in gym shorts with bare feet (propped up on the cocktail table) in the jazz club one evening.

I have been sailing with RCI for about 30 years and this would never have been allowed up until 5-6 years ago. It is one of the reasons I no longer sail with them for pleasure.

I have seen jeans and flip flops on X on informal nights and was disappointed. Now it seems that HAL is moving in that same direction. It is truly a pity, IMO.

Just to clarify my post of yesterday.....there was not many people at all in jeans in the dining room. Most people were dressed casual but well. My gripe was the fact that the materials from HAL make it seem that more dress up clothes is required than is actually necessary. people were dressed much better than on the Voyager of the Seas last year.

Thanks for the good & balanced review nycatty35. Do you think you will cruise HAL again, or will you stick with RCCL?

DH & I felt the Culinary Arts Presentation was lacking. We also have gotten the impression that HAL is trying to steer most folks to the Lido for breakfast & lunch - dining room hours are short for sit down meals. At the Lido breakfast, we had to switch from omelets to scrambled eggs because the omelets were always too brown on the outside - on 2 HAL ships. So I can relate to your toast issue.

Glad you enjoyed the best parts of HAL - the crew, the passengers, the flowers, art, etc.

Noticed you liked the rest of the HAL food. So, does that mean you thought it equal to or better than RCCL?

I would definitely sail with HAL again. The size of the Rotterdam is really wondefful. You never feel as though there are hoards of people and it is nice to be able to see familar faces again, without spending the entire evening searching them out. While I think the breakfasts on RCCL surpass HAL, dinners on HAL are far superior. No contest in that regard.

-

Nycatty35, thanks for your comments! That is a great itinerary and Rotterdam a beautiful ship! Just a question on your Lido breakfast selection comments: we just came off the Prinsendam and had breakfast in the Lido just about everyday. Prinsendam's Lido had oranges, grapefruit, cantaloupes, honeydo melons, "stewed" bananas (in syrup), to name a few of the fruits.

As far as he variety, we had a choice of pancakes, french toast, Belgian waffles, omelettes (any style), eggs (any style) with bacon, hashbrown patties, sausages, steak, hot oatmeal, muesli, many different sorts of packaged cold cereals, etc. Didn't Rotterdam's Lido offer you those selections?

...We have been on both ships recently and their lido selections are the same...The Rotterdam does not have Eric greeting you every mornig though...

Good post with some food for thought!....As to jeans in the dining room....The dining room manager should have been on top of that and told the offenders that jeans were acceptable up at the Lido...I believe I have seen Robert on the Amsterdam handle it that way on at least one occasion....

...We have been on both ships recently and their lido selections are the same...The Rotterdam does not have Eric greeting you every mornig though...

Point well taken!:) BTW, on Prinsendam we noticed at least one of the Yum Yum guys in the Lido every morning folding and later delivering (to those of us sitting at tables consuming food) the electronic version of the NY Times. Haven't seen that before and liked it. Has anyone else on recent cruises noticed that?

Archived