Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kate-AHF

Pre-cruise Venice: Luggage storage is the way to go!

Can’t recommend the baggage storage option highly enough. We got off the plane on August 2, claimed our luggage, walked down the the bus area, got on the blue ATVO bus to Piazalle Roma, got off the shuttle, walked 100 yards across the street to the lower outside area of the terminal…and voila. There was this tiny storefront for baggage storage, next to a café. Cost was 3.5e per piece per day. Stored the big pieces and hopped the vapretto with just one small roller and one piece of carry on. It really made the Venice portion of the trip very pleasant, and effortless.

Embarking the ship was just as easy. Took the #1 vapretto to Piazalle Roma, grabbed the luggage, walked 50 FEET to the taxi stand who took us to the ship for 20e. It was a short trip to the cuise terminal but in this case it was worth it – because he drove right up to the pier, found the luggage station for our ship and off-loaded the bags. We walked into the cruise terminal for check-in with just my purse.

We stayed at the Hotel Manin, and CANNOT say enough wonderful things about this hotel, the desk manager Paolo, and the idyllic walled breakfast garden in the back. And also 15 feet from the San Angelo stop on the #1 vapretto. We will never stay anywhere else, and believe me – we are going back to this magical city just as soon as we can.

Were the taxi's easily accessible from Piazzale Roma to the ship? We had pre-arranged a taxi, but the price quoted was 30 euro each way. Did you notice if anyone was walking to the ship?

Thanks in advance..

THere is a taxi stand right in front of the terminal at Piazalle Roma. Very, very easy to get one. THere were at least three waiting every time we were there. I didn't notice anyone walking....could be done I guess. Would NOT consider it with luggage.

On Saturdays and Sundays there is a free shuttle to the pier from PR.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like we are safe to just wait to get there and either take the shuttle or grab a taxi from there.

Did you come accross any good restaurants in Venice that were not too expensive?

We leave in 32 days!

Thanks again

We used the baggage storage option after our Golden cruise in 2003 and although it take some time going out to the airport and then back to Venice with our carry-ons I don't know how we would have managed the bigger pieces of luggage in Venice. Glad to see others have had the same opinion.

Have a great next cruise.

Try Aqua Pazza!

It was so amazing, we ate there two nights out of three, and we don't DO that!

I suggest sharing the lobster salad as an appetizer. It was out of this world...very simple...sut up lobster, with baby arugula and fresh tomatoes, a few herbs and lightly dressed.

Actually, I would ask to share everything on the menu. If you order the salad and share, and then order pasta to share (I enjoyed the gnocci one night) and order one of their wonderful desserts, you'll likely get out of there for around 40e per person. Cheap in Venice!

If you go, hopefully they will still have the tents on the square. And they always put a complementary bottle of homemade limoncello (or meloncello) on your table to enjoy.

I can't say enough about this experience. That bottle of limoncello can help you to make fast friends with the folks at the neighboring tables. We met a wonderful couple from Dubai and a couple from Brighton the first night, and two fantastic young Italian couples the second.

I did notice a lot of Italians eating there.

I understand the pizza is also wonderful. We just ran out of time to try it! (now that I think of it...the lobster salad, with a pizza....ahhhh!)

Campo San Angelo, San Marco 3808/10

Tel: (041) 277 0688. Fax: (041) 277 5421.

Price: €28. Wine: €14.

Thank you so much for the information on storage of luggage at Piazzale Roma. I had heard about this, but then forgot all about it. Also, Aqua Pazza sounds like a nice little restaurant. Anyplace that will put a comp bottle of Lemocello on the table is fine with me.

Thanks again

Michael

I didn't know that luggage could be checked at Piazzela Roma. We've often parked our rental cars there, but it's good to know about the luggage check.

There is yet another alternative.

Take your luggage from the airport and get onto a shuttle right outside to the Alilaguna public motor boat stop. A few steps from where the boat stops, there is a squat, yellow building that is a luggage check area. Check your luggage there for about the same price as at Piazzela Roma.

The difference is that the Alilaguna takes you directly to San Marco for 10 to 15 Euros per person. If you have booked a hotel in the San Marco area this option is convenient.

It was before my time for travelling, but I long for the days when each hotel had porters who met people at the train or plane, and transported luggage, gratis, on carts through the alleys of Venice. We saw porters at the train station a few years ago, but their prices were unbelievable.icon11.gif

How many days did you leave your luggage? We are planning to fly into Venice a week early so that we can take a train to Florence and Rome. We would like to leave our bigger pieces and just take our carry on and back packs.

Thanks

Hello:

Thank God, I just came across your post. I have been looking for confirmation of the lockers at Piazzale Roma. We are leaving on September 29 and coming in a day earlier. We are staying at Hotel Abbazia on the other side of the train station. Not far but way too far with three large pieces plus overnighter. Thanks for the restaurant tip as well.

Note about the map: the arrows point to the luggage drop. This drop is entered through a door on the OUTSIDE of the building. Clueless me looked at the map and thought I would be entering the terminal. The place looks questionable by U.S. standards, is basically a shabby store front shop with a lot of shelves in the back. I was nervous about leaving our suitcase but when I returned two days later it was still there. I used it again when we returned after the cruise because we were staying an extra night in Venice.

Note about the free shuttle to the ship: we were on Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas and used the bus. HOWEVER, it isn't easy to find. Fortunately I had read in a thread that the bus left from the back left corner (but didn't specify which back). If you arrive via vaporetto, walk up the few steps to the bus staging area, look straight ahead, and the bus will leave from the very back and very left area of the lot. If you arrive by taxi: after exiting the taxi walk away from the Grand Canal and turn left and go to the back of the lot and turn left for the shuttle or right for the luggage drop. Print this and take it with you. There are a zillion other busses in the lot.

Note about vaporetto: I had worried about carrying too much luggage or luggage that was too large. I shouldn't have. I saw people with two rolling bags, one huge rolling bag, etc. and no one seemed to mind.

Note about walking to the ship: my wife and I had decided that we would walk to the ship from Piazza Roma but had to change our minds because she broke her ankle a week before we flew to Venice. While we were standing and waiting for the shuttle bus (which seemed to take forever to arrive) several people decided to walk. We ended up catching the bus and arriving at the ship when they did. None of them felt the walk was difficult. (Costa was also running a bus...don't get confused.) There were NO SIGNS anywhere saying "This is the RCCL bus stop" but the bus did have an 8x10 sign taped inside the window.

Note about departing the ship and getting back to Piazza Roma: GOOD LUCK WITH THE SHUTTLE! We had an early departure color and found ourselves at the front of what ended up being a very long line. When the bus arrived all He*l broke out. The line turned into a mass of pushing, pushy people. Later we encountered a family that had left the ship later than we and had to stand in line 1 hour 45 minutes and fight the mass of people. Royal Caribbean really fails with that shuttle system.

I'm confused here as to why people say they were struggling with ways to figure out how to get their luggage into the city for their pre-cruise stay and then on to the ship. All you do is hop on the water taxi at the airport which takes you to the door of your hotel and then take another one from your hotel to the ship dock when you check out. Easy as pie.

Or are people not wanting to pay the water taxi fees and looking to do things on the cheap? I can understand that then, but honestly, if this is your first (or possibly only) time to Venice then why not splurge on the water taxi? I found it to be one of the most unique ways to arrive at a hotel and be introduced to a city. Makes for a great start to a vacation as opposed to transferring from buses to vaparettos and hunting down luggage lockers and such. Each to their own I guess though.

In our case it was not the first time to Venice but the first time with a freshly broken ankle that prevented my wife from accessing the water taxi. She was able to deal with the vaporetto and the bus (bus...had to go up the steps on her butt) but the water taxi steps were just too much (narrow and movement too far down to the deck of the taxi) for her to deal with.

One also needs to consider that they may or may not have booked a hotel on the Grand Canal. We always do and had planned to take the water taxi to and from the hotel knowing that we would never need to carry luggage over any bridges...but the broken ankle changed that. If someone books a hotel half way between Rialto and St.Mark's then they might not want to be dragging multiple suitcases through the narrow streets and over the bridges...thus the "Left Luggage" facility is quite handy. We usually have two pieces of luggage each but by packing lighter thus cutting in half and leaving the larger piece at "Left Luggage" I was able to handle the one carry-on, carry her "roller buddy" and somehow assist her onto the vaporetto (of which #1 & #2 are handicap accessable).

I was our first time stressing over getting from one spot to the next and were determined we would make the best of everything.

There are also other ways of accessing the ship besides the water taxi...a shuttle vaporetto runs to and from St. Mark's and the ship but we had committed to a hotel on the GC at Rialto and didn't want to go back to St.Mark's to reach the ship.

Hopefully this helps with your confusion if it was due to what I posted. I went into detail for those who might not avail themselves of the water taxi or maybe, just maybe not want to spent the unnecessary extra money.

For some of us, part of the adventure is mixing with the people, using local transportation, getting sweaty, smelling the smells, etc. Granted, the water taxi is nice but it's just not the same fun as a vaporetto. Yes, to each his own.