Is Tahiti worth the additional cost vs. Caribbean?

c-cruise

If you are looking at a special anniversary cruise there is nothing like the Paul Gauguin. It will be an anniversary to remember. I know the Oceania prices In the South Pacific are really reasonable and have been on Oceania elsewhere but it is not a patch on the PG. The PG brings the flavour of the islands into the ship so you really feel like part of the scene and not on the outside touring.

We went the first time in 2003 - caught the FP Flu and are up to our 6th time. Now planning 7th and 8th in 2013.

We have done both with our third PG cruise booked (just came back 3 weeks ago) along with a land vacation last year in Fiji. This June we go for a week to Turks and Caicos. I have done Aruba close to 10 times along with many other Carribean Islands.

Cruises in the South Pacific are for the water based shore excursions, IMHO. If you like the atmosphere on the ship as much or more so than the excursions then anyplace on earth is fine for the cruise as you are doing it for the ship. In the Tahiti region you want as many shore days as possible as the lagoon and the land are what separate the region from the Carribean.

PG is a an upscale cruise line that offers free air from LAX. They have a 2 week sale ongoing now and for less than $4,000 you can get a one week cruise in French Polynesia including air from LAX. Much more than the Carribean but affordable for many.

This is going to be our second time on the Paul Gauguin there is nothing that comes close for that area. Both holidays celebrating anniversaries last was our 30th now our 40th. If you love water, unmatched scenery and cultures this is it. We have now traveled all over the world and as we were deciding we still came back to this (Galapagos is close but we did that in 2010). Even in the Great Barrier reef this year I kept comparing.

I have done Aruba close to 10 times along with many other Carribean Islands.

We love to snorkel and agree FP is the best. We're on the Emerald next month with a stop in Aruba. Since you know it so well, can you point me in the right direction? Last time we ended up behind some hotel and there wasn't much to see. Help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I live an hour from cruise ports in NY and NJ and can go to the Caribbean very easily and cheap. I would rather go to Tahiti! Just finished my 5th cruise there, going back again next year. Enough said..........

• 2 months later...

Hmm.....now to try to find a cruise with the less amount of sea days....DH doesn't like them so much. (I do!)

Let the research begin, I'm all over the place. No idea where I want to go next!! So many places to see!

Waverley if you go on the PG - the 7 day has no sea days and the 10 day has 1.5 sea days. I always recommend the 10 for newbies but some people have enjoyed doing b2b 10 plus 7.

Archived