Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

So do you need 2 forms of ID or not?

dizzy lizzy

Recommended Posts

I have been told 2 different stories when I called NCL about 2 forms of ID. First lady said yes, I need a form of Gov. ID and a Birth cert. or passport. Then I called again and another lady said no. I told them both that I was flying in from Houston and going to be on the POAM. I called my travel agent and she said she had never heard of that and then she called me back later and she said someone told her you did need 2 forms. Does anyone know for sure? Or had any problems getting on the ship? I hate to take my BC's if I don't have too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



It's all spelt out (I must admit a little confusingly) on the NCL website at www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement_06.htm. But for you, it seems clear:




All passengers 16 years of age and older must provide
for boarding NCL America vessels that travel and stay within the United States/Hawaii Islands, where the ship does NOT travel to a foreign, non-U.S. port of call.

consists of one of the following:

  • Valid Passport

  • Government Issued Photo ID

  • Valid Driver’s License that Includes a Photograph

Company policy dictates that any passenger traveling without proper photo identification as described will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.


Hope this helpsBob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the Pride Ships, my take is that you need the same things that you need to get on a plane. We are flying from Baltimore - Dallas - Hawaii. I am only taking my Drivers License. When we first booked our cruise we had the same questions and was told that we should get a passport. We did. After much research on these boards and discovering that NCLA (all the "Pride of" ships) are American and Do Not got to a foreign port, the only thing required as US Citizens, is a VALID drivers license with photo which we both have. The passports will stay home.


If I am wrong in any of my assumptions, please let me know :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too was confused by this. My TA told me I still needed proof of citizenship - either a passport or Birth Certificate and valid picture ID. Usually I travel with my passport - but my name has changed due to marriage, my passport still had a year left before expiring, and I wanted to travel on the same name as my hubby - we are celebrating our anniversary on the cruise.


Needless to say, I sent away to renew my passport but I would have rather waited.


Did I need to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on the NCL Star and my friend forgot to bring her passport. She had to apply for an emergency passport in Honolulu. They refused to allow her to board without her passport. She had to fly to the next port to board with her new passport. The Star did go to Fanning Island. She sued her travel agent because the agent told her, "You don't need your passport".



NCL Star 08/03

Celebrity Zenith 09/05

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The passport was needed because of the Fanning Island stop. ONLY the "PRIDE OF" ships do not need passports because THEY DON'T GO OUT OF THE UNITED STATES. Fanning Island is a FOREIGN port. Therefore you need a passport. A ship that does a FOREIGN port is a FOREIGN based ship. The "PRIDE OF" ships are ALL American Based Ships. They are NOT allowed to visit a FOREIGN Port. Does this help with clarification?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Treven - if you decide to rent a car, a passport will do you very little good. Unless you are going on NCLA, you might want to reconsider and take both. If NCLA, then DL is all you need. (I'm assuming you are a U.S. citizen - if not, disregard.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, I guess I would rather be safe than sorry. I think the change was made (if there really was one) after the recent bomb attempts.


Merry sea witch did you take your cruise after the bomb attempts?


Before bomb attempts, but the bombs didn't really affect NCL policies. My sister is a long time TA so she gives me all the scoop. Any NCL ship (the PRIDE OF- ships) that sails ths 7 day cruises around Hawaii just needs a current drivers license. Any NCL ship (the WIND, the STAR when she was in Hawaii, and the SUN that is comiing next yr) that sails Hawaii AND Fanning Island needs a passport. Another way to remember is any ship that sails Hawaii and has a CASINO needs a passport !!!!:) Gambling is illegal in Hawaiian waters ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...