venice disembark

pipster37

We are on a waiting list for the April 28th cruise Rome - Venice. I am going to be optimistic that it will come through. However when disembarking my husband and I would like to spend another day in Venice. If we do not want to take O hotels, could anyone suggest a hotel (reasonable) near where the ship docks so we will not have to travel to far with the luggage? Also what is the name of the area where the ships docks in Venice? Thank you.

We are on a waiting list for the April 28th cruise Rome - Venice. I am going to be optimistic that it will come through. However when disembarking my husband and I would like to spend another day in Venice. If we do not want to take O hotels, could anyone suggest a hotel (reasonable) near where the ship docks so we will not have to travel to far with the luggage? Also what is the name of the area where the ships docks in Venice? Thank you.

:D Dear "Pipster37" and other fine "CCCR'S"

;) -We did a lot of research on this question, and discovered that no matter where you stay, the public transportation, both on land and by boat is wonderful. We also discovered that once we found the hotel that we wanted, we used "Orbitz" to find a better rate. (Stay away from Price Line. Com, they are terrible! William Shatner and I go back a long time, and even he would agree that all "others" are much better, but not in public). Anyway, here is a fine hotel that is half price on "Orbitz" from what they offer directly; (There are many others, but here is one that currently has a great history and is recently remodeled. We have friends staying there for our cruise).

http://www.duodopalacehotel.com/eng/ok.htm

:cool: Travel Safely, and I hope you find the Hotel that begins your voyage with ease!

Respectfully; R.J and Ms. Johanne.

The ship docks near the Piazza Roma. To get from there anywhere, you have to take a boat. It's not a hotel district, just a bus terminus and large garages. We stayed at the Hotel Anastasia that was two blocks from the vaporetto stop at San Marco - in the middle of everything. It was across the court from the Westin, and 1/3 the price, for a very nice clean hotel with a good shower and free breakfast. Google it.

There's a website called venere dot com that we have used before. It is map-driven, so you can easily zoom in on the part of town you want to stay in, and their prices were remarkable. They have over 200 properties in Venice listed. I had one occaision to call them on the phone with a question, and they responded promptly and in good English.

If you don't have too much luggage to tote, I agree with the above comments, it's very easy to get around Venice via the public "water bus" (called a vaporetto). We stayed on the water south of the Academia bridge, but that's pretty far from the port... Good luck!

The large cruise ship terminal is called Stazione Maritima. I had checked the Cruise Calendar before our April cruise. It stated that the Regatta was to be docked at the smaller San Basilio Terminal, which would be a little closer to the San Marco area. Instead, we were at Stazione Maritima.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived