Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kendon

What can you share about the Mex Riviera?

Okay, came home 3 days ago from the CB, Western Caribbean. I just booked the Diamond Princess for February '07, Mexican Riviera. Done the Caribbean SO MANY times, Panama Canal, and Alaska. What do you think about this itinerary? I'm all ears!

We took the Diamond in 2004 and loved all of it, Mexico that is. We hear that the Diamond has been redesigned for better dining so hopefully my biggest complaint against the ship is gone (hopefully the sewage smell was from being new). Lots of swimming pools on ship, lots of activities. We didn't go on the Relax on the Beach excursions, but talking to the folks that did (on Mazatlan, I think) they said they were fed like kings and just layed around on the beach. We went in March. Had rough seas going from Mazatlan to Cabo. We went on the simple city tours (DW had back surgery a few months prior). DBIL went on the horse riding excursion and totally enjoyed himself. The stop at Cabo is very short so get to the city ASAP and don't stop at the little shops at the tender dock. This is really a great cruise. We were in a balcony room on the Caribe deck, mid-fwd, C-300. Everything, except the ship, was First Class. (If you really want to know, we nicknamed our dining arrangement "never time dining")

We have done the Mexican Riviera a couple of times and have one planned for next April. It is a fun cruise, as there is a good mix of sea and port days. You have 2 choices a 7 day RT out of LA or a 11 day out of San Francisco for the Winter 06/Spring 07. There is also a couple of 10 days on the Godlen out of SF in April (this is what we are doing).

The ports are fun with a lot of activities to fit everyone tastes. Remember the beaches will be different from the Carribean and the water will be much colder.

If you are shopping for Jewerly we found Mazatlan to be the cheaper of the three ports.

You can click our webshots links for find our pictures of the ports.

Enjoy your cruise if you chose to book it.

We did this itinerary on the Diamond Princess, and we loved it. In Mazatlan, we hooked up with a great private tour guide who has the nickname Mazatlan Frank --- he took us on a tour up into the Sierra Madre mountains to see some of the real Mexico, but he also does city tours. Here's a link: http://www.mazatlan-frank.com/index.html. I think there were about 8 of us in his van which was perfect --- lots of conversation and individual attention, none of the endless waiting you sometimes get on the big tours. In Cabo, we went whale watching on a zodiac, which was a lot of fun. Here's also a link to our webshots, there is an album for the Diamond Princess and another for Franks tour: http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101. Have fun, it was a wonderful cruise, one of my favorites.

We've done that itinerary on the Diamond and you'll love it. The ship is fantastic and the intinerary is alot of fun. As another poster said, you get a nice mix of sea days to port days, not quite as port intensive as the western caribbean. Puerto Vallarta is one of our favorite hot spots both by land and sea. We can highly recommend the Las Caletas tour. There's way more to do in Mazatlan than one would think. We spent a week there back in the spring and it's a wonderful place to spend some time. Cabo is the only downfall to the initerary. It's such a wonderful place but you're time is so limited. The next time we'll do lovers beach.

You'll love this cruise, we're looking forward to finding time to do it again soon.

Thank you for the original post!!:)

I have been considering doing the Mexican Riveria cruise in 2008 and I appreciate the information you have all provided.

A couple of questions: 1)What month do you think is best to take a MR cruise?

2) What is the weather like on the Pacific side of Mexico for that month?

I just love planning cruises a year and half in advance! Don't you??:D

We have done both October (hot and humid in PV and Mazatlan, Cabo was in the 90's with no humidity), and April when it was in the 80-90's without any humidity in all three ports.

We are going in April again and hope to have the same weather as this year.

Thank you so much for the great feedback. I've put this cruise off for quite some time as I had my doubts. I booked it today, and I don't think airfare would be a problem RT NY/LA, pricewise.

Don't want to rain on any parades here...and everyone will have their own opinion. WE didn't like it at all. I thought it was ugly and just didn't care for the ports at all.

We went last summer in June. VERY choppy waters..chilly going, freezing coming home. Cabo was rough waters and windy. Sounded like the wind was normal. Mazatlan was yucky....I hear it's better to get out of the area there...PV, was drizzly, overcast and humid.

Did the zip line excursion through Los Veranos...that was fun!! Much less than the ship and more lines to do...they took them to another place.

Anyways, for US, we'll stick with the Caribbean..blue waters, white sandy beaches and lush.

It's just not for everyone. Some people love it.

I received the Mexican Riviera brochure today. I am quit interested in what you have to say about Diamond Princess. T

he seas - are they really colder than the Caribbean? We always do the Caribbean ports.

Wondering how different the M.R. ports are.

Interested in the March 31, 2007 sailing... What's the weather like then?

We did the MR cruises in January and February (the second time on the Star when it was pretty new). That time of year the first couple of days and maybe the last one will tend to be cooler and perhaps rainy (I'm assuming you'll be leaving from San Pedro). that's our normal winter weather in LA. You may get warmer (around the 80s) as you get to the ports. We were able to go to the beach in Puerta Vallerta.

As for the poster who went in June, we get mainly overcast weather at that time. If the "June Gloom" burns off by the afternoon, it may get warm. We've been on the Baja cruise in that month and were prepared by little sunshine around Ensenada. It may get warmer as you go south.

The water off the Pacific coast tends to be much cooler than in the Caribbean. That's why there's fewer hurricanes. And barely ever, do they ever go up the U.S. coast.

Don't want to rain on any parades here...and everyone will have their own opinion. WE didn't like it at all. I thought it was ugly and just didn't care for the ports at all.

We went last summer in June. VERY choppy waters..chilly going, freezing coming home. Cabo was rough waters and windy. Sounded like the wind was normal. Mazatlan was yucky....I hear it's better to get out of the area there...PV, was drizzly, overcast and humid.

Did the zip line excursion through Los Veranos...that was fun!! Much less than the ship and more lines to do...they took them to another place.

Anyways, for US, we'll stick with the Caribbean..blue waters, white sandy beaches and lush.

It's just not for everyone. Some people love it.

Being on the West Coast we do the Mex Riv often and I have to agree with bigsky. If you want pretty water and sandy beaches, you won't get it in the Mex Riv.

We stay on the ship and have a great time! You will love the Diamond. She's a great ship.

But, I wouldn't fly all the way from New York to do the Mex Riv unless you like to shop for bargains and be accosted every 5 feet to buy silver.

Jill

Jill

sorry you had to cancel our Zenith repo cruise. (My daughter is also a SillyJilly!):D

We are flying from Florida and we always have a good time. It will be a change with the colder water but not the humidity. Unfortunately, we are used to that. As for being accosted, I am not looking forward to that. I was called Cheapo Felipo by a vendor once in Cozumel for not looking at or buying his stuff. He also grabbed my arm, and I didn't like that.

Sandytoes, I see you're from Long Island too. We are used to cold ocean water! I thought the MR would be a change, for a change. Been to the Caribbean 10 times already, all over Europe, the Middle East, Alaska, and Panama Canal. Since I've never been to the west coast of Mexico, thought I'd give that a try this February. What the heck.

Another Left Coaster who thinks the Mexican Riviera is highly over-rated.

I don't care for the area, and no longer bother to get off the ship if it is making a port call there.

Thank you for the original post!!:)

I have been considering doing the Mexican Riveria cruise in 2008 and I appreciate the information you have all provided.

A couple of questions: 1)What month do you think is best to take a MR cruise?

2) What is the weather like on the Pacific side of Mexico for that month?

I just love planning cruises a year and half in advance! Don't you??:D

We were on the Diamond to the Mexican Riviera in October and March. October was very hot and humid. Just terrible. March was cool and no humidity. I highly recommend an early spring sailing.

Jill

sorry you had to cancel our Zenith repo cruise. (My daughter is also a SillyJilly!):D

We are flying from Florida and we always have a good time. It will be a change with the colder water but not the humidity. Unfortunately, we are used to that. As for being accosted, I am not looking forward to that. I was called Cheapo Felipo by a vendor once in Cozumel for not looking at or buying his stuff. He also grabbed my arm, and I didn't like that.

On my last Mex Riv cruise I booked a couple of beach break excursions. We went to a private resort, ate, and had our own chairs & umbrellas. Didn't have to deal with many vendors. The water was warm, but it's like West Coast water.............you can't see through it. :D

Living near a beach all my life, it wasn't anything special, but it was nice all the same.

Are the vendors aggressive in the Caribbean too? If so, I'll stick to the private resort areas. I'm not a shopper. I just like to relax.

Jill

I did Mexican Riviera Spring of 2004 on Carnival Elation. The cruise was great, days were in the 80's - 90's and night in the high 70's. My recommendation is book your excursions a.s.a.p. if you wait till you get on the ship you will have very little chance getting on the popular ones (swimming with the dolphins, snorkeling, para sailing). Mazatlan is full of religious history and has beautiful churchs, other than that is is dirty but believe me, there is no proverty there. Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta are rich from tourist. Save your money when you go into port, all the merchandise can be bought in the U.S. for a lot less. Of course, only drink from closed containers (water, soda and beer). Puerto Vallarta and Cabo are mainly party places and the locals will gladly get you drunk. Watch your wallets and purses, there is a lot of theft there (several of our passengers found out first hand). Basically, it will look just like the Caribbean except the Caribbean has much more appealing water (ocean). We just got back from the Eastern Carribbean last month and I told my husband I thought we just did a repeat of the Mexican Riviera. Regardless, crusing is a blast and you can have fun anywhere. Happy Sailing!

Have to agree with those who say that the Mexican Riviera isn't all that. But, the hubby and I have cruised the Caribbean so many times that we're becoming bored with same-o, same-o. We've only done MR once before but have booked an 11-night voyage on the Dawn for January, 2007.

This cruise will be our first longer-than-weeklong sailing, our first-ever cruise out of San Francisco where we haven't been for about 25 years, and our first cruise on a smaller-than-grand class Princess ship. We will stop in Mazatlan, PV, and Cabo that were ports on the 7-night sailing out of Long Beach on the Star in 2002, and we also call at Acapulco that we've never visited.

We're looking forward to a city highlights tour that includes the cliff divers, and we already have reservations for dinner at an upscale restaurant in Acapulco. We probably won't disembark in Mazatlan (we thought it was pretty seedy last time) but plan to attend a cooking class in Puerto Vallarta, and have lunch and a few Margaritas at Sammy Hagar's cantina in Cabo. Mostly, we'll enjoy the shipboard life, Princess ambiance, cuisine, hospitality, and service for 11 nights.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Kendon,

My shoe is on the other foot. This fall is our first Caribbean trip. I know I will love it. We live in Los Angeles, so the MR is convenient and a great get-away. I think it is a personal feeling you get from a place, and it varies from person to person. The wise CC member who told you to book your excursions early was sooo right. I love PV, we did the sailing adventure, and it was a very memorable day. My BF, at the end of the day, said it was the best day ever. Not easy to do with a 47 yo ex-New Yorker. It is all about who you are with and your sense of adventure. Others in our group had great times too, with the jungle zip line, swimming with dolphins and other stuff. We love the Diamond so much we have booked another cruise in April with the kids over spring break. We were on it in Nov. 2004 and the dining thing wasn't quite ironed out, but we never went hungry. I hope you have a wonderful time, and see something I missed and tell me about it. I love the pace of Mexico, and waking up in Cabo (if you do a balcony get port side) and seeing Lands' End is absolutely unforgettable. I have pictures from our trip, and would be happy to send you a few if you're interested.

happy cruising - Karen

ksm91411@yahoo.com

But, I wouldn't fly all the way from New York to do the Mex Riv unless you like to shop for bargains and be accosted every 5 feet to buy silver.

Jill

I have the opposite opinion ---- we are from the East Coast, but were excited to do the Mexican Riviera because it was a change from the usual Caribbean cruises. We didn't do much shopping but all the ports were new to us, and quite different from the Yucatan part of Mexico on the Western Caribbean routes. And we didn't feel any more pestered than we do on many of the usual islands.

we are booked on the Diamond in Nov. when the weather (we hope ) should be good.We too are traveling from the east coast because we wanted something different.The caribbean is nice but we have done it twice and it is all the same. Just did Puerto Rico in April so the beach is not what we wanted.Just some local sightseeing and a great ship for fun.:)

Thanks for the info. I love the warm, crystal clear waters of the Caribbean so we usually head to one of the beaches. I'm not much on shopping. Just a quick stop or two, that's it.

I'm having a hard time picking my next cruise. I want to go everywhere.

ksm91411, thanks for the reassurance. This will be our 12th cruise, 10th with Princess, so we are certainly aware of the importance of booking your excursions with Princess early. Nothing compares to the color and clarity of the Caribbean Sea. The price was right for the MR cruise on Presidents week (peak time). As one poster noted, the vendors can be pushy. Well, could they be worse than the vendors on some of the Caribbean islands? I don't think so. I guess I don't know what to expect weather wise in February. I'm assuming the cruise will start out chilly, and wind up very warm in Mexico.