You know you are working with the wrong TA when...

nator555

you are afraid to call and ask for a $42 price reduction. I noticed a reduction a month before we made final payment so I called her and she played dumb but then she did call carnival for us and managed to get us a OV upgrade from a IS for $20 more pp. We took it because we thought it was a good deal. NOW there is another small price drop and I am scared to ask her to call Carnival again since we made final payment over a month ago. I remember her saying "once final payment was made that there is no more price reductions." I hear of people all the time on this forum getting OBC. Who wouldn't want a $42 OBC? That could be put towards the private dining option one night. Man I should of booked directly through Carnival. The lessons we learn!

you are afraid to call and ask for a $42 price reduction. I noticed a reduction a month before we made final payment so I called her and she played dumb but then she did call carnival for us and managed to get us a OV upgrade from a IS for $20 more pp. We took it because we thought it was a good deal. NOW there is another small price drop and I am scared to ask her to call Carnival again since we made final payment over a month ago. I remember her saying "once final payment was made that there is no more price reductions." I hear of people all the time on this forum getting OBC. Who wouldn't want a $42 OBC? That could be put towards the private dining option one night. Man I should of booked directly through Carnival. The lessons we learn!

When final payment is made, thats when TA's get their commission so most of them don't want to go through the hastle of sending part of the check back.

There are some TA's out there that will go to any length to keep clients, you just have to ask before you book with them.

I for one am going to book directly through Carnival next time also. I know the owner of the travel agency I booked through and I just don't have the guts to bug her about it. If you book through a TA can you call Carnival direct about price reductions? Also.....if you book directly through Carnival do they let you make payments? How long do they let you stretch out the payments? And I wonder if they would let us make payments toward our Sail and Sign account???? :confused:

Devils advocate here, if you're uncomfortable about calling a TA for a reduction, why is calling CCL and asking the same question any different:confused:

It's your money as you said (unless you know this person personally?) I'd call and ask and even point out that you understand that if you went through carnival directly you would have been credited, and you'd like to continue your relationship with future bookings with him/her but would have a hard time justifying the finances in view of the policy. Might work if said nicely. Ya never know! Give it a try. let us know.

Because I know the TA and the owner of the business personally. I would be uncomfortable taking money out of their comission. I'll probably just let it go. Trip has been paid for quite some time now.....I have a balcony...I should just be happy! I would have never thought to check if I hadn't seen people here on the boards talking about it.

I wonder how much commission they actually make? I feel uncomfortable asking the TA for the price adjustment for 2 reasons. One because when I asked for the first price adjustment I could tell she didn't want to do it. And second because last year when we booked our honeymoon with her I took her advice on a resort then once I got around to reviewing it I realized it wasn't for us so we changed it. I could tell the TA wasn't thrilled about us changing the trip but good thing we did - our honeymoon was the best ever. SO in a nutshell I feel like a pest. Sorry to put my petty issues on a board like this but I just can't decide what to do. On one hand I say what the heck I am probably not going to use her again anyways so what if she gets mad I could possibly get a OBC or a upgrade. On the other hand I feel what the hell is $42 anyways and its not worth the hassel. The last thing I want to do is to argue (nicely of course) that other people do get adjustments after final payment. I doubt she will believe me anyways. Man what a crappy position to be put in. Thanks for listening.

The last time I checked TA made at least 10% on a cruise. It depends on how many theyt book. Why is her money more important than yours? Call and ask for every price drop you can get that is their job to represent you, not you help them.

I wonder how much commission they actually make?

TA's make anywhere from 10 to 18% on the Base Cruise Rate. If your cruise cost you $1000 per person, one would need to deduct port charges, taxes, transfers, air, etc. from that. Your Base Cruise Rate on that $1000 cruise may have only been $599. If it is just two of you cruising, then the TA's commission is based on ~$1200. If it is a new travel agency, or they just don't sell that much of a particular line, they are making $120 on your $2000 cruise. Remember these are examples and not exact figures.

We try to go on two cruises a year - I am comfortable booking my own itinerary, airfare and hotels - I use priceline ALOT! Have never been disappointed. We have a travel agent we absolutely love and use her whenever we book RCCL - the agency she works with seems to have RCCL as their top cruise line to book. I also notice RCCL does not have the price reductions Carnival does. I should also note my TA lives in another State and we have never met. Suffice to say she is wonderful!

If we are going on Carnival I prefer to book directly through them. I have a PVP who is awesome! Some unforseen problems cropped their ugly little head recently in our family and I was totally stressed out. Hubby said "book a cruise" - that will take your mind off things. You don't have to tell me twice... so we're leaving November 5th on the Victory (which by the way was our first cruise). I booked two days before final payment cutoff. My PVP got me the "book at the 8A rate get upgraded to the 8E - we're on the Panorama Deck and are sooooooooo happy - he also got us a repeat cruiser reduction. The day of final cutoff there was a price reduction in the 3rd person rate. Called my PVP and he reduced the price for me and gave me a $70 credit. This past weekend, there was a $50 pp price reduction - Tuesday lunchtime I called my PVP - he tried to get the reduction and said the supervisor said no because we had made final payment. I balked a little - he suggested I talk to the supervisor. She was accomodating and said "one time only" we will make this adjustment for you. Well that's another $100 credit. So it does pay to ASK, KICK, Scream and cry a little if you have to!

Is the price reduction on the inside cabin or the OV? If they have upgraded you to an oceanview cabin, and you want a price reduction because the price of the insides have gone down, they will move you back to the inside "pool" in order for you to get that $42... For example, you paid say $400 for an inside... they upgrade you to an OV that sells for $600... the price of the inside goes down $42... you are already in a cabin that is more expensive... if the OV goes down lower than what you paid, then yes... go for the money, but no way would I go back to an inside for $42 :p

.....afraid to call and ask for a $42 price reduction.

Yes, it's important to have an agent with whom you are comfortable. Maybe your next one will be better for you. However, in the meantime, put your 'fears' behind you, and CALL and ask for anything you see that will benefit you.

And, just think - If you get that $42 reduction, you can afford to buy the other soda card.:rolleyes:

.........last year when we booked our honeymoon with her I took her advice on a resort then once I got around to reviewing it I realized it wasn't for us so we changed it. I could tell the TA wasn't thrilled about us changing the trip but good thing we did -

.........On one hand I say what the heck I am probably not going to use her again anyways so what if she gets mad I could possibly get a OBC or a upgrade. On the other hand I feel what the hell is $42 anyways and its not worth the hassel. The last thing I want to do is to argue (nicely of course) that other people do get adjustments after final payment. I doubt she will believe me anyways. Man what a crappy position to be put in. Thanks for listening.

Cotton is right in his advice. Just call her.

Personal Opinion - Listen to your gut feelings. You already had one negative experience with the TA (your Honeymoon). Why even go back for a second time?

Looking at it from the sales side "what the hell is $42 anyways". If she were truely interested in keeping your business she would at least split the difference and get you a $20 OBC or bottle of wine in the cabin out of her own pocket.

JMHO,

Charlie

Thanks guys for all the advice. I am going to call right now and ask. Boy am I nervous. Good point Cotton I will get another soad card with it and not feel bad about that:)

Ok so I just talked to the TA who was a little more receptive than I imagined but I could still hear the "here we go again" in her voice. She is going to call Carnival and get back to me today. She said she would see what she can do - maybe she can get us a upgrade at least. To be continued...

OK I am back and boy do I feel like I am being tricked. The TA said I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that they wouldn't refund you anything or give you a OBC and the good news is that they upgraded you. This is the part where I feel like she is full of crap - she said we went from a 5A to a 6B and from a port hole to a picture window. BUT then she continued to say my docs were in too and we can pick them up anytime. Correct me if I am wrong but is your room number printed on the docs? She is making it seem like she got us the upgrade but it appears that Carnival already gave us the upgrade and we just got lucky. So basically I can't help thinking she made no changes on purpose and probably didn't even call Carnival. Also we are assigned room 196 on the Main deck which is 2/3 of the way to the back of the ship and right across from the elevator. I don't even know if this room is decent of not. I am obviously a new cruiser but feel something isn't right here. Any thoughts?

OK I am back and boy do I feel like I am being tricked. The TA said I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that they wouldn't refund you anything or give you a OBC and the good news is that they upgraded you. This is the part where I feel like she is full of crap - she said we went from a 5A to a 6B and from a port hole to a picture window. BUT then she continued to say my docs were in too and we can pick them up anytime. Correct me if I am wrong but is your room number printed on the docs?

Before you chastize her, pick up your docs and see if there is a cabin on there. If you booked a Cat. 5A, that will be what is on the docs. If a Cat. 6B is on there, then you can tell her that she is full of ****.

I would also let the TA know that you know the upgrade was already done prior to your call. I would also let them know tht because they were less than honest you'll have to book with another company in the future. I don't have time in my life to do business with liars.

If the price drop you want to ask your TA for is only $42 and their commission is 10% than they would only be losing $4.20 commission.

I don't think that is doing to bankrupt them.

Call and atleast ask.

That's exactly right! I would rather have a client happy and lose $4.20!

Before you chastize her, pick up your docs and see if there is a cabin on there. If you booked a Cat. 5A, that will be what is on the docs. If a Cat. 6B is on there, then you can tell her that she is full of ****.

Then report back to us and let us know what happened!!!! I'm so sorry this is all happening to you...

I wonder how much commission they actually make? I feel uncomfortable asking the TA for the price adjustment for 2 reasons. One because when I asked for the first price adjustment I could tell she didn't want to do it. And second because last year when we booked our honeymoon with her I took her advice on a resort then once I got around to reviewing it I realized it wasn't for us so we changed it. I could tell the TA wasn't thrilled about us changing the trip but good thing we did - our honeymoon was the best ever. SO in a nutshell I feel like a pest. Sorry to put my petty issues on a board like this but I just can't decide what to do. On one hand I say what the heck I am probably not going to use her again anyways so what if she gets mad I could possibly get a OBC or a upgrade. On the other hand I feel what the hell is $42 anyways and its not worth the hassel. The last thing I want to do is to argue (nicely of course) that other people do get adjustments after final payment. I doubt she will believe me anyways. Man what a crappy position to be put in. Thanks for listening.

I know excactly how you feel. When I have to do something like this I make a joke in the beginning on what a pest I am, how I'll crawl all over the parking lot for a penny (hence the $42 IS a big deal to me) etc. It will get them on your side, hopefully!

OK I am back and boy do I feel like I am being tricked. The TA said I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that they wouldn't refund you anything or give you a OBC and the good news is that they upgraded you. This is the part where I feel like she is full of crap - she said we went from a 5A to a 6B and from a port hole to a picture window. BUT then she continued to say my docs were in too and we can pick them up anytime. Correct me if I am wrong but is your room number printed on the docs? She is making it seem like she got us the upgrade but it appears that Carnival already gave us the upgrade and we just got lucky. So basically I can't help thinking she made no changes on purpose and probably didn't even call Carnival. Also we are assigned room 196 on the Main deck which is 2/3 of the way to the back of the ship and right across from the elevator. I don't even know if this room is decent of not. I am obviously a new cruiser but feel something isn't right here. Any thoughts?

Didn't you say that you were able to upgrade to an OV for $20?? So you already had an OV. If the price of that oceanview cabin (that is the IMPORTANT part here, you have to be looking at the price of the cabin you were upgraded to) has gone down, then you should get an OBC... If you booked a guarantee, your room can be anywhere on the ship...

Goincrusin -In April we booked a IS then in June we noticed the price went down so I called the TA who told us we could go to a OV 5A for $20 pp more. We agreed. Last night I realized the price for the OV 5A (same exact room) went down $21 pp so I called her today only to be lied to. I don't even know if we were really upgraded since a 5A means we could be anywhere on the ship. Frustrating huh? I swear she is tricking me and taking advantage of a new cruiser. Never again thats for sure. I think I might have to say something when I pick up my docs on Monday especially if my 6B room is printed on them. The worse part is she is with a reputable travel agency - too bad I am never going back there.

Archived