Golden Princess Review June 27-July 4 (p1)

Guest KateKathy

Hi Kate,

Since you gave the Catamaran to the Pitons such a low rating I was wondering if the Cruise ship sailed by the Pitons either on the way to the port or leaving the port. Such a shame to go all that way and not see the Pitons, but I don't want to take that 2 hour rocky road trip to Anse Chastenet .and the Catamaran trip doesn't sound appealing either. BTW I have read your review about 4 times and glean something new each time. I am getting very excited.

Thanks.

Kate,

What a terrific review!!! I was particularly interested in hearing your opinions of the excursions, since my husband and I will be taking that cruise in Jan. We are new to cruising, I've been on E. Caribbean last year w/my daughter, but he has never cruised at all. Any must things to put on the to do list at any ports?

The 4w drive excursion in Barbados sounded great. If you don't book through Princess can you find these excursions at the port and if so where?

That's so much for sharing your experiences!

Kaye

Wonderful trip report. We are presently talking to our TA regarding next April and this is one of the cruises in the running. The other one I am interested in is the Star. They both leave on the same date, April 3rd

the Golden from SJU and Star from FLL.

How far in advance did you obtain your airfare. If going to SJU from Boston, there are early morning flights (AA) Jetblue, and you don't have to go in the night before because of late sailing.

With FLL, we would fly in the afternoon before, but then would have to add the price of hotel to airfare.

I have done the America's Cup race also, we had True North II, and finished last, but sang Oh Canada at the top of our lungs. Great fun.

Glad your DH is doing ok. So much for golfing that course.......

Try to get a midship cabin, the lower deck the better to prevent being affected by rougher waters. September is the height of the hurricane season so waters may be a bit rougher at that time of the year. However, these newer ships have great stabilizers which really help to prevent any major problems from ship motion.

Wife and I hired a cab at the pier where they line up outside a gate. The cabbie took us to Anse Chastenet for $60 RT. This was about 18 months ago. They started at bargaining at $100.

The ride is actually quite nice through mountains, rain forests, fishing villages, bananna plantations. Anyway we get there and the guy will not take us the last 2 miles up a steep winding road around the mountain to the resort. It's the only way there to the hotel. He said the road was not safe, while narrow & steep, basic cabbie B.S. I mean, supplies and guests get there that way every day. So we had to take a little boat trip by way of a friend of his for an extra $25. The skiff was pleasant and we saw a bat cave and closer looks at the pitons, but $25 was a rip. So just make sure when you hire a cabbie you ask up front about the last two miles, unless you want the boat ride. The beach is very nice with good but not great snorkeling. There is a tiki bar and lounge chairs available.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KateKathy
Your review was wonderful! We'll be on the same itinerary at the end of October. Quick question - did you have to tender at any of the ports?

Thanks!

sorry - i haven't been on these boards for a bit - nice thing about this itinerary vs. Western Carib - is no tenders!

Guest KateKathy
Hi Kate,

Since you gave the Catamaran to the Pitons such a low rating I was wondering if the Cruise ship sailed by the Pitons either on the way to the port or leaving the port. Such a shame to go all that way and not see the Pitons, but I don't want to take that 2 hour rocky road trip to Anse Chastenet .and the Catamaran trip doesn't sound appealing either. BTW I have read your review about 4 times and glean something new each time. I am getting very excited.

Thanks.

No and I'm a bit fan of sailaway. Sorry to say you have to find an excursion to do it. I think I'd find something other than through Princess. Thanks again for your complement. I'll take that anytime. If you have any direct questions feel free - I don't check back here often laterly. kate@cruisewoman.biz

Guest KateKathy
Kate,

What a terrific review!!! I was particularly interested in hearing your opinions of the excursions, since my husband and I will be taking that cruise in Jan. We are new to cruising, I've been on E. Caribbean last year w/my daughter, but he has never cruised at all. Any must things to put on the to do list at any ports?

The 4w drive excursion in Barbados sounded great. If you don't book through Princess can you find these excursions at the port and if so where?

That's so much for sharing your experiences!

Kaye

It would be difficult in most of these ports to get off and find an excursion. You really have to either book thru Princess or use someone like shoretrips.com. I've had great luck with them on other cruises. But if I could pick only one I'd do the Jeep/Catamaran in Barbados.

Enjoy!

Guest KateKathy
Wonderful trip report. We are presently talking to our TA regarding next April and this is one of the cruises in the running. The other one I am interested in is the Star. They both leave on the same date, April 3rd

the Golden from SJU and Star from FLL.

How far in advance did you obtain your airfare. If going to SJU from Boston, there are early morning flights (AA) Jetblue, and you don't have to go in the night before because of late sailing.

With FLL, we would fly in the afternoon before, but then would have to add the price of hotel to airfare.

I have done the America's Cup race also, we had True North II, and finished last, but sang Oh Canada at the top of our lungs. Great fun.

Glad your DH is doing ok. So much for golfing that course.......

Sorry I can't help on air - we used miles for free flights. But feel free to emailme directly with questions. kate@cruisewoman.biz

Guest KateKathy
Thanks for the great review. How did payment for medical services work. Did you have your own insurance or did you purchase and use the travel insurance. I've always wondered how this works and how much the medical services cost on board. Haven't ever had to use their services, I'm happy to say. But one never knows.

Thanks!

I was always wondering too but I'm sorry we had to find out this way. My DH is fine BTW. - On this trip we used CSA but now I use Travel Guard almost exclusively. I thought the cost of the medical care was very reasonable especially for the quality of care. 1. We did have to pay for that with our cruise card before leaving the ship. Then I have submitted the claim first to our primary insurance (Blue Cross) and then after I get their dispostion I have to submit to CSA and they have sent me the forms to do so. Not sure how long all of this will take. Not sure what people do that come with cash and no credit card?!

I have tried e mailing KateKathy, but she won't except any emails!

I'm interested in her story on embarkation with regards to the sign for suite check ins including mini suites. Does anybody else have any experience with this? I'm looking to find out if this is indeed the case as I've been told that it's not true.

Thanks!

Great review! We were on the Golden for the 7/4 sailing and enjoyed the cruise as well. It is a great ship and your comments reflect our views of the ship.

Years ago, my mother spent the first 4 days of a cruise in the hospital with pneumonia. Despite that, she will say that she had a great time. Not sure what her bill was, she was just glad they were there to take care of her.

Guest KateKathy
I have tried e mailing KateKathy, but she won't except any emails!

I'm interested in her story on embarkation with regards to the sign for suite check ins including mini suites. Does anybody else have any experience with this? I'm looking to find out if this is indeed the case as I've been told that it's not true.

Thanks!

Sorry CJSKIDS, maybe it's the new boards, I thought I was set up to receive email and I used to. Let me go try to fix that in the profile. You can email me at kate@cruisewoman.biz

Be glad to answer questions.

Guest KateKathy
hello, my husband and I are going on 9-19-04 Golden. I have heard it's rough sailing. What have you heard?

It sure was not when we sailed in June. You are going during "hurricane season" which is actually 6 months long. But the route is also Southern Caribbean so you should be fine. We had very smooth sailing.

Guest KateKathy
Well gang, as is typical of Princess, I got what I consider a form letter back from them that said basically "thanks for letting us know". They did forward my letter (with my review attached - same one I posted here) to STeiners. Now Steiners actually sent me a $100 gift certificate toward product. Doesn't solve the Steiner problems as I seem them but it was a nice gesture.

Guest KateKathy
Nice surprise in the mail today. Our regular medical carrier (Blue Cross) covered our entire bill for the cost of the on-board medical care on the Golden in June - we were reimbursed for the entire bill. Very nice to know, and now no need to file the claim with our Travel Ins.

Archived