New to Crusing looking for Advice on anything.

:) Hi,

My husband and I are new to crusing. Infact, I never thought I would get him on a ship. He suprised me with a cruise for the 30/10 birthday. Still can't say the number. hehe

I have been reading everyones emails for tips about crusing. I see anything from sneaking alchol aboard to what to wear. I am looking for any advise on anything since we are new.

I thank everyone who replies in advance.

JH

My advice is to jump in and start posting and reading all of the different threads on here. There is also a search feature that you can use to look up almost any topic that you might be interested in. One word of caution though. One cruise and you will be hooked for life. Welcome to cruising and Cruise Critic.

My opininon is to go have a GREAT cruise and not to stress over "smuggling booze" onboard...just buy them on the ship...wear what you would normally wear to a nice restaurant for casual nights and wear a nice dress for formal...pretty easy when it comes to fashion for me...don't stress over "what to wear". JUST HAVE FUN!!!!! :) :)

Thank you for the information. I am also going on the Jewel of the Seas for the 8 night Caribbean cruise. We are going at the end of February. I am so excited to go. Never thought my husband would take me on one. We are staying in a balcony room (a few friends who crusie recommended the balcony. I would not know the difference of not having a balcony since it is our first time. I did once rent a yaught to go to the Gaolpolis Island which is a totally different type of ocean experience.) I will look forward to see if you post your pictures. Thanks again.

JH

Thank you for the information. I am also going on the Jewel of the Seas for the 8 night Caribbean cruise. We are going at the end of February. I am so excited to go. Never thought my husband would take me on one. We are staying in a balcony room (a few friends who crusie recommended the balcony. I would not know the difference of not having a balcony since it is our first time. I did once rent a yaught to go to the Gaolpolis Island which is a totally different type of ocean experience.) I will look forward to see if you post your pictures. Thanks again.

JH

I will be taking photos and will post them to my site when I return. Balcony cabins are very nice.

Welcome to the club. Once you complete the trip you can say 'my name is Cruise Girl Pittsburg and I am a cruise-aholic'.

I agree with Cruisingator2 - get on out there in the search and post your specific questions or concerns. A word of warning however, dont take the flaming personal. Some innocent questions or opinions seem to get some panties in a bit of a knot as is evident with their reply. Overall, it is a friendly bunch and you will learn a ton about how to better enjoy the whole cruising experience. There is something for everyone, casual or formal, young or old, active or sedintary. Being on this board will make you very pumped about your next trip.

I am assuming your now 40? Dont worry Cruise Girl, it only gets better the older you get. This is just the start of the best part of your life - and cruising to boot!

I will be 40 in October. My husband planned this to get me over the 40 mark. (He is not stupid all of the time).hehe I appreciate the words of encourgement about being 40. My husband is a motorcycle nut who does not like to be long with one. My next post will be if anyone knows where you can rent a Harley on anyone of the Caribean islands. Have to do something nice for him. Thanks again.

JH

You will love the Jewel. We did a Baltic cruise on her 2 years ago and will be back onboard next Monday on a transatlantic back to Boston from Harwich England. She is a beautiful ship.

If you haven't already done so make sure you sign up for the Meet and Mingle and check out the Roll Call for your specific cruise. It's fun to chat with the people you will be cruising with and they can be a wealth of knowledge in your cruise planning.

You will have a great time.

I will be 40 in October. My husband planned this to get me over the 40 mark. (He is not stupid all of the time).hehe I appreciate the words of encourgement about being 40. My husband is a motorcycle nut who does not like to be long with one. My next post will be if anyone knows where you can rent a Harley on anyone of the Caribean islands. Have to do something nice for him. Thanks again.

JH

Go the the ports of call area and post that question on the islands that you are interested in trying to find a bike. :) Also go to the roll call area and see if a thread has been started for your cruise date. You will be able to find others that will be on your sailing.

I think you will find 2 schools of thought on crusing--those who wouldn't go w/o a balcony and those who don't care. Figure out how you feel about that and book the cabin that is good for you. I spend time in my cabin--so i prefer the space and the fresh air that I can access in my robe or pjs. We travel with friends who couldn't care less and they frequently get an inside.

Take less clothing than you think you need. Find out prioor to the cruise if you tend to be seasick. (Do you get carsick or sick on amusement park rides?) If you will need seasick meds--test it before you go--so you can see how you will react--will it knock you out, make you goofy or what? I wear a patch and it has little side affects for me. My husband uses nothing--although the one time he did get seasick--I gave him dramamine annd he was so goofy on one tab that I had to send him to be after dinner.

ok not that I am an exp. at cruising. But we have found that shore excursions can be pricey on the ship, better deals off, but be flexible. You will love the cruising thing, no need to worry about food, where to stay, night time activites. It's all good. I'm a little shy so it takes time to warm up to other people on the ship, but for the most part everyone is friendly. My husband get sea sick so he uses bodine, most divers use it because it dosn't make you feel sleepy. (at walmart blue and wht pkg). Make sure you have enough room in the suitcase for "goodies", I always buy the soda card, all the soda, juice you can drink. Worth it for my family. As for a bike, as my hubby is the same way, Look at your port of call web site or vistor center, they will let you know a few rep. company's call/ e-mail find out what their policy are. Some you just don't want to get with. Good luck you will love it.becky

Archived