• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Main Seating???

Like you, I also had main seating - no waitlists on my first reservation. I had the same thought that I couldn't change it.

We just booked for a 4 nighter on the Jewel and on the RCI website it also said main seating - no waitlists. I clicked on Edit and was able to change to the 2nd seating. My reservation now says 2nd seating - no waitlists.

On the recent cruise, main seating was 6:45 and 7pm. RCI put it later because we were sailing from Barcelona and there were a lot of europeans on board. 2nd seating was at 9pm. On the next one, RCI said main seating was at 6pm which is a bit early for us. 2nd seating is at 8pm.

If you can get to your reservation online, you might be able to change too if you want to.

I guess that when they say "no waitlists" it means for that seating.

Karen

Our first cruise we went for the late seating so we didn't have to hurry back to the ship to make dinner. We decided this time to try the first seating at dinner as we really don't have any all day excursions we'll be taking on this trip. We have only cruised once before so this will be a trial for us as to which time we like. We usually are early diners at home and since we are not nightowls, I thought it would be better for the old digestive systems if we had a little more time after eating before we retired. I set up my daughter and her future husband on the first seating too as it would be tough for him to wait to eat that late.

I use to do second sitting and on our last cruise we changed to early which was I believe 6 PM I enjoyed the 1st seating more, I felt it left most of the evening to enjoy the ship and walk off dinner, do the shows, go to the lounges, and then go to the Seaview cafe for a late night snack. We are going on the same ports as we did last year so we do not need to concern ourselves about getting back to the ship early. Hope this helps.

And we like late seating, for it gives us daytime to enjoy the pool even at 5 pm! Then if you are a tad bit hungry there is always time for a snack without ruining dinner which is late. But we enjoy the extended day that the late seating gives us. Most of the lounges have things to do even after our late dinner.

I use to do second sitting and on our last cruise we changed to early which was I believe 6 PM I enjoyed the 1st seating more, I felt it left most of the evening to enjoy the ship and walk off dinner, do the shows, go to the lounges, and then go to the Seaview cafe for a late night snack. We are going on the same ports as we did last year so we do not need to concern ourselves about getting back to the ship early. Hope this helps.

We've also always done late seating, and I had been a big advocate of it. On our recent Mariner cruise, we switched to early seating b/c we were traveling with my mother who preferred that. Well, I'm so glad I tried it b/c I never imagined that I'd find it better than late seating! It'll surprisingly be my preference on our next cruise too. Who knew? :)

Like you, I also had main seating - no waitlists on my first reservation. I had the same thought that I couldn't change it.

We just booked for a 4 nighter on the Jewel and on the RCI website it also said main seating - no waitlists. I clicked on Edit and was able to change to the 2nd seating. My reservation now says 2nd seating - no waitlists.

On the recent cruise, main seating was 6:45 and 7pm. RCI put it later because we were sailing from Barcelona and there were a lot of europeans on board. 2nd seating was at 9pm. On the next one, RCI said main seating was at 6pm which is a bit early for us. 2nd seating is at 8pm.

If you can get to your reservation online, you might be able to change too if you want to.

I guess that when they say "no waitlists" it means for that seating.

Karen

Thanks Karen. I couldn't view it because I booked through a TA. I did call Royal Caribbean and they said to have my TA call tomorrow and it can be changed.

We eat late at home, and really enjoy being able to nap or relax before dinner. Especially having a balcony this time. Just our preference...we would have made the early seating work if we had to, but the late one is more our style.

Go for main seating. The later seating many times gets left overs or are out of specific entrees. They will at times reheat the food including the bread. Unfinished soup and bread is recycled. The waiters are also tired by then, thus poorer service. The dishes are not as clean as they have a limited supply and must try to kept up with the pigs at the main seating who try to eat all the food. Of course there are pigs at the second seating also, but they get the food left by the main seating pigs.

Seriously, it depends on your lifestyle and preference. If you stay up late, then late seating should be fine. If you want to go to bed by 11:30 /midnight just remember that you typically do not finish late seating dinner till 10:00 pm or later.

We have always had main/early seating as we go to bed late some nights, but also get up early most days.

Archived