Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cruishappy@aol.com

In a state of shock - could this be true ?? price drop - unbelievable

we are sailing the noordam in march 2007. i can't figure why the drop in prices but my business sense is not that great. let the investment bankers explain it. anyone out there an investment banker?

My son is an investment banker, but I don't think a drop in cruise prices would be his specialty. Investment bankers generally work on selling companies (I think, I still don't quite understand what he does for a living, but I know he makes a lot more $$$ than I do as a nurse!).

Hi,

I just paid deposit for my cruise in December on Westerdam. I thought that from now on the price I agreed to pay it's made in stone. Is it possible to get a price adjustment (in case the price would drop for the same saling) after you paid deposit or full amount of the cruise? How can I do it? Thanks in advance.

Travel Crazy 2

Either yourself or your TA will need to watch the prices in the exact category that you are currently booked on for drops if they happen prior to your cruise some get refunds and some get shipboard credit..always watch as it can be done. This board proves it.

LHC

Our Febuary 2007 on the Noordam has gone down $500.00 and I was also upgraded from a VD cat. to a SS cat. I have recieved all my confirmations on the pricing and the upgrade. I watch prices everyday and could not believe it. Also, this is the second price decrease in a month. It does appear HAL is trying to book em up. So all you bargain hunters, check those prices daily. Also, if you do see a price decrease print that screen in case you can't get ahold of your TA that day. I took that advice from another cruiser on the HAL board.

Watch out with the price reductions! Prices have since gone up, and HAL is claiming that there was some sort of a computer glitch. We supposedly booked a cabin on the 4/11/07 sailing of the Noordam and now they are trying to say that the price we agreed to is wrong and they want $400 per passenger extra. (See the thread titled "Raising Our Fare".)

Also, this is the second price decrease in a month. It does appear HAL is trying to book em up.

I'm beginning to wonder if 2007 bookings are sluggish. I've gotten two price decreases on a 2007 cruise as well. When bookings are slow, HAL will often drop the price in order to stimulate bookings. Could it be that people are not booking as far in advance for 2007? Maybe because of job worries or other economic concerns?

Blue skies ...

--rita

when you got the price reduction? Reason I'm asking, is because we booked and took a cruise earlier this year ... got it on xxx.com ... and when the price dropped, they would not give us the difference, because we had already made final payment. Actually, we paid for it when booked, because we knew for sure we would be going. Appreciate hearing about strategies for avoiding this kind of problem......ie should we just give a deposit til absolutely have to pay (then open for price going up?), change booking agencies? Thanks all.

when you got the price reduction? Reason I'm asking, is because we booked and took a cruise earlier this year ... got it on xxx.com ... and when the price dropped, they would not give us the difference, because we had already made final payment. Actually, we paid for it when booked, because we knew for sure we would be going. Appreciate hearing about strategies for avoiding this kind of problem......ie should we just give a deposit til absolutely have to pay (then open for price going up?), change booking agencies? Thanks all.

We are not allowed to make reference to specific TAs.

We just pay our deposit and then pay the remainder when due. This allows us to rebook at a lower price. We use a major on-line TA that did this for us.

We booked about 2 weeks ago for the Feb 17th Noordam cruise and then saw last Saturday the price went down. We made a change to get the reduced price. Had the deposit, a cabin # and booking #. But know HAL is saying they are not honoring that price due to a "computer glitch". How are you all doing it and not getting the raised fare? I guess I need some hints. My TA did all of our deposits with us in front of her, I know that she checked and double checked the price with HAL and they were positive in the reduced price. So I can honestly say that I am at a loss! My TA is going crazy trying to keep our price at the reduced rate, but HAL is being very difficult! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I started a thread last week "Raising our Fare" we are having a problem with Holland America refusing to honor our fare. My problem is a little more complicated in that we are also having a problem with the TA. There is also another thread started along the same vein.

From what my major, on-line travel agency (based out of Houston Texas) indicated, there are over 200 reservations at their agency alone that are going to have problems. From the bits and pieces we were able to drag out of the employees at the agency, they haven't even begun to notify people of the problem yet. People are only finding out if they call the TA for some other reason.

So, anyone that has booked a HAL cruise recently (or rebooked) you might want to call your travel agency, particularly if it is based out of Texas and was offering a $50 onboard credit and a bottle of wine or champagne.

I just read this thread & I'm dying!! I booked thru the online TA out of Houston and got a really good deal which coincidently is $400 less pp than what my mother was told when she called to book the same cruise 3 days later than me. I paid in full for our vacation the day I made the reservation. This company has not yet contacted me. I'm almost afraid to call to inquire because I feel it's inviting trouble. Should I contact HAL to confirm they have me showing as PAID IN FULL? I leave in 4.5 weeks no documents have arrived yet. :confused:

I just read this thread & I'm dying!! I booked thru the online TA out of Houston and got a really good deal which coincidently is $400 less pp than what my mother was told when she called to book the same cruise 3 days later than me. I paid in full for our vacation the day I made the reservation. This company has not yet contacted me. I'm almost afraid to call to inquire because I feel it's inviting trouble. Should I contact HAL to confirm they have me showing as PAID IN FULL? I leave in 4.5 weeks no documents have arrived yet. :confused:

To the best of my knowledge acquired from the other posts, the problem is with some 2007 sails. The combination of kids in school and hurricane season means that HAL and all cruise lines tend to deeply discount fall sails. Caygirl, I think you are going to be just fine.

Guest rfrenchbaxter

I am sailing on Empress of the Seas 01/15/2007. We made our reservations in Jan. 2006 and the price was 909.00 per person. Just about two weeks ago they dropped to 599.00 per person. I just got on the RC site and they now have raised it to 729.00 per person!

Royal Caribbean will honor the price all they way up to the day of sailing! That is what they told me! So I will continue to check the site each day!

This cruise was a good deal. We also got our flights for 240 per person to San Juan. RC started out wanting to charge us 399.00 per person for air. Plus we had a Crown and Anchor coupon we applied to the total bringing our savings to $1408.00 so far on this cruise! :D We only have an inside cat. N!

So there are savings out there if you take the time to look and be patient!

Rebecca

This sounds like the pricing "glitch" Holland America had between Sept. 9 and Sept. 12 on Noordam cruises out of New York City January - March 2007. See the thread about the prices being raised. I'd be curious if all of your price decreases held or if you later were told Holland America was not going to honor them?