cruise food

Hi- I went on RC 10 years ago and remember the food being outstanding. It seems like the food quality has gone done, and I wanted to know people's thoughts. Also, I wanted to know if the food is better on RC or on Princess. I recently was on Carnival and was not impressed with the food at all. Also, we are big desert, beef and chicken people and do not eat seafood, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks!

We are recently off the Monarch and were impressed that the food was better than last November when we did the same cruise. IMHO We would definitely give the food a 4 out of 5. Meals in the dinning room were served hot with ample portions. We had Chicken Marsala the first night and beef the remaining nights. The beef medallions were particularly tender and the New York steak on the last night was very good. Others in our party had the salmon which they enjoyed. We had breakfast in the Windjammer buffet most mornings which was equally good quality, but the meals we like most were the alternative dishes in Jade.

I think the food on RCI and Princess is comparable, but it's going to vary from ship to ship depending on the executive chef. On the Diamond P, it was excellent, on the Island it was mediocre. Both Vision and Monarch have very good food, sometimes even excellent depending on the dish. RCI soups are wonderful, IMHO. Entrees vary - on our most recent Monarch, the garlic shrimp and filet were excellent, but the duck was reported to be dry & the lamb shank got mixed reviews. Pastas on both lines were good - cooked al dente with flavorful sauces.

I haven't noticed a decline in quality so much as a decline in the number of courses and choices per course.

My first cruise was on Voyager in 2000, and as I remember there were separate courses with multiple choices for appetizer, soup, salad, pasta, entree and desert. Now soups and appetizers are lumped together, and there's usually only one soup choice, there's usually only one salad choice, and only four or five entree choices where I remember 6 or 7 before. Pasta has disappeared as a separate course and now there's usually a pasta entree. (On Jewel of the Seas in January the pastas sounded so appetizing that I had our waiter bring me a small portion of the pasta every night - perfect!).

Obviously there are the alternative items that are the same each night (steak, salmon, cesar salad), but I do miss the variety they used to have.

I cruised with RCI in '90 & '93 on Sovereign of the Seas...did not cruise again until 2005 on Voyager & 2006 on Radiance. IMHO there is no way you can compare the food, it was much better back then. Having said that, today's food is OK, just nothing special about it. It is banquet food, it is what it is. Cruising today is so inexpensive compared to years ago, I guess some things have to give....

There are those who eat to live and those who live to eat. Those who live to eat may be more critical of food, thus explaining the huge bellies found on 86% of the population. I apologize for hurting anyone's feelings, but it's the truth. I've also gotten a bit defensive because I'm NOT overweight and people act like there's something wrong with ME. Be that as it may, I happen to think the food is absolutely superb on every Royal cruise we've been on, but it's also not my top priority.

Our comparison is that the Princess food was good but not noteworthy.

All mainline cruise lines have taken down the quality over the past 10 years due to pricing pressures, etc.

But having said that, it is still a bit higher than good quality banquet food.

A conversation with the head of food and beverage on Galaxy with past spring was interesting.

RCI spends, on average $5-7 per person per day (net costs) on food. Celebrity spends $13-$15 per person per day. But the difference is not that overwhelming..There is a difference, but not drastic.

While HAL spends a higher amount, their food is far more bland, sometimes, nearly tasteless. I would guess that is to not offend the older palette.

I think as another poster stated, since cruising has become so affordable, something has got to give. My first cruise was 18 years ago, when cruising was becoming more mainstream, and the dining room menu was more extensive, but the price of the cruise was double what I am paying for my next cruise, for similar accomodations. When I took my first cruise, the main dining room was the only option for dinner, the buffet was only open for breakfast and dinner. Today, there are many choices, some involve a surcharge, which I thought I would never do, but on my last cruise on the voyager, a friend wanted to go to portofino, and it was the best meal I had ever eaten. As long as there are food options that are included, and they are decent, I will be happy, and would be willing to pay a small fee for an outstanding meal, as long as the cruise prices stay reasonable. Just one man's humble opinion.;)

I understand that the cruiselines are trying to keep their prices down--but the food has gone downhill, as far as I can tell! I agree with RC4me. The selections and quality are not the same as a few years ago. The cuisine is a large part of why I sail--I enjoy cruising--but if I have to eat less than quality food, why am I spending so much to do it???

I agree with you there is a big difference over the last 20 years. Our first cruise on the old Nordic Prince the food was outstanding.........today it is good but nothing special. Desserts have really gone downhill. Still we think cruising is one of the best travel bargains around.

I think the food on RCI is great. Although some ships are better than others, in general the food is very good. However if you were not impressed with Carnival's food you may be disappointed with RCI. We did Carnival once and thought the food was better. JMHO

I cruised with RCI in '90 & '93 on Sovereign of the Seas...did not cruise again until 2005 on Voyager & 2006 on Radiance. IMHO there is no way you can compare the food, it was much better back then. Having said that, today's food is OK, just nothing special about it. It is banquet food, it is what it is. Cruising today is so inexpensive compared to years ago, I guess some things have to give....

Having never cruised before, but having read a lot about it, I have to agree with BobBeaSea - the prices are pretty reasonable when you add in all the factors: hotel+resort+travel+service+food - try it anywhere else, and you'll find ourself spending consireably more money. Something's gotta give, and if it's only the food, then I have no qualms about that. Remember that fuel costs have risen quite dramtically as of late: how would you like to pay to fill up one of these babies? hehe!

That said, the food doesn't have to 5-star every meal in order to have a great cruise. If you're into the stuffy athmosphere of luxury crusies, then Cunard or some other line might be more appropriate.

If you cruise often...the food choices become boring. The menus never change. The most notable change i saw this past week was the Filet Mignon has been replaced by sliced tenderloin..same cut of beef...just a differant name?

It was delish though..... the desserts are so so...

Katie

MY first cruise wasn't until 1998, but my husband warned me about expecting much from the food before then. He had cruise RCI in the late 70's, early 80's and stated that he thought the food to be the same quality as a wedding banquet. I though he was dead on and have never been particularly impressed with cruise food.

While Stella Darling may have her point, there are plenty of us who do appreciate fine dining, no matter what our weight. I don't live to eat, but what I do eat I like to enjoy. I steer clear of buffets and don't care to order every course for dinner and don't clean my plate of every morsel of food.

Sometimes you can find something pretty decent on a cruise ship. Most times, the majority of the food served at dinner is so-so. That the ship has to pre-prepare so much and hold it hot is telling. That the ships are larger with far more pax today is probably the reason for the decline, more and more has to come aboard pre-prepared, canned and frozen.

The premium restaurants aboard ships today are an outstanding feature for some of us. We also travel on land and know how much a great meal costs, along with hotel charges. Cruises are very good value in comparison, the small added fee is worth it to have an option for fine dining.

I'm always amused at how many people look forward to lobster being served onboard ships. Some even call it lobster night. With the exception of one time paying an additional $25 in a specialty restaurant onboard a ship, we've never had lobster that wasn't overcooked, dry and rubbery. I've never eaten chicken onboard a cruise ship that didn't taste re-heated and you hardly ever see a steak on the menu that isn't covered in sauce (which I normally think of as a flavor enhancer for a lesser cut of meat).

Cruise for the experience, the adventure and the service. Enjoy your meals, but don't expect gourmet food.

Just off the sovereign today 9/11/06

Food was very very good and I would give it a 3-4 out of 5.

Selection very nice, dining room food EXCELLENT

Was on Sovereign last October 2005 and the food was very substandard then... BIG improvement since then. Yummy:)

I have questions: Can you answer them?

We are going the day after Thanksgiving,So here are my questions. Thanks

1) Was there a Chocolate Buffet?

2) Did you see eggrolls, crabcakes, lobster tail?

3) Any good Nassau eats?

No not on this sailing, there was a chocolate buffet on the 4 day sailing but not the 3 day. There is a gala buffet and a pool side BBQ with very excellent ribs :)

Yes, egg rools are it the Jade section in the Jammer, crab cakes were on the buffet in the jammer, No lobster tails on 3 or 4 night sailings

3) Any good Nassau eats?

Did not eat in Nassau... we did get burgers and fries at Atlantis. There is a senior Frogs that many rave about but I have not eaten there personally

:):)

No not on this sailing, there was a chocolate buffet on the 4 day sailing but not the 3 day. There is a gala buffet and a pool side BBQ with very excellent ribs :)

Yes, egg rools are it the Jade section in the Jammer, crab cakes were on the buffet in the jammer, No lobster tails on 3 or 4 night sailings There is a sushi bar also at Jade in the jammer

3) Any good Nassau eats?

Did not eat in Nassau... we did get burgers and fries at Atlantis. There is a senior Frogs that many rave about but I have not eaten there personally

:):)

Archived