Best ship for Mexican Rivera cruise

CricketCruiser

Hello, we are going to San Diego in February and would like to take a cruise leaving either from San Diego or LA. Just got back from sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas which was a wonderful ship however we found the subdued atmosphere on Celebrity to be more our style. I understand the ship choices are a bit limited for the Mexican Rivera. I've been reading mixed reviews for the Oosterdam. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks

We loved the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach! She was a beauty! You can see some shots of the ship in my pictures link below - I think most of them are in the Embarkation/Sea days album.

To the OP, as I mentioned above, certain times of the year you have have limited choices. For example, during certain periods, the Pride will be your ONLY choice, besides the 3 and 4 dayers. When do you plan to cruise? BTW, we LOVED the Sapphire Princess.

I really wanted to take the Oosterdam out of San Diego this January, but we couldn't get the cabins we wanted. We were on the Zaandam in May and we loved the Food and the beds. We are going on Princess this time and am not looking forward to the beds and so far I have been reading mixed reviews about the food.

Hi there.

Holland is a great Cruise line. I am again on the Odam in November. I have done the Carnival Pride and had the worst experience of my life. I have sailed 32 times and would not cruise them again at all. I am not a cruise snob. I just want things to work. I was in a balcony cabin. Nothing worked.The ship felt very crowded too. HAL really treats you with dignity.

I also cruised Princess STAR to the same destination. Way too big. I really felt lost in the shuffle. I was on one of the first cruises that offered an open dining police. The crew was not happy with this arrangement. This has probably been worked out.

RCCL was a fun time. I did this ininerary with them also, on Rhapsody. I must tell you that Celebrity is my favorite line too. Been on Mercury and "Connie" also Infinity. Mostly, just have fun. I have lived in Cabo and several other places in Mexico. There is a great time to be had.

K8

The Merc does 10 and 11 day cruises out of SD but is doing something different in February, I think. I know they are doing the 10 and 11 days in January and March, April. Check their website. We are sailing on the Merc 10/30 to Mexico.

We sailed on the Carnival Elation to Puerta Vallerta in 98 (or 99) from San Pedro (Los Angeles area). Then this last January we sailed from San Diego on the Carnival Spirit. The Spirit is GREAT and I would highly recommend it. We love leaving from the San Deigo port too. It's only 5 minutes from the airport and the airport is MUCH lower key than LAX. Lots of hotels by the pier too and walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

We are doing two Mexican Riviera cruises next year with family and friends. Both are on the Spirit out of San Diego. our 3 year old nephew loved Camp Carnival on the Spirit and begged to go each day.

When we go on a cruise we like to arrive a day early and NOT rent a car. Leaving from San Diego works out great for us. So much to see and do there. Even taking a cab to the zoo or Sea World was only $10 each way so much cheaper than a short term car rental.

Come join us on the Mercury on February 18th. This is a 14 day cruise which ends in Ft. Lauderdale on the 4th of March. There are 6 of us going here from the east coast(DE & RI) and would love to have more going so we can communicate before the cruise actually begins!!

We are booked for the Mercury sailing 1/29. It's 11 nights out of San Diego with all 6 ports in Mexico--Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa and Manzanilla. It is cheaper per day than RCI's 7-night on Vision, which is only 3 ports and Celebrity's 11-night on Infinity, which has 2 ports in CA and only 4 in Mexico.

We've not sailed Mercury before, but had a fabulous time on Galaxy last year to the PC and they are sort of sister ships. And after all it IS Celebrity. :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

My husband and I were on the Celebrity (X) Summit last fall , great times and memories. Mom and I will be cruising the X Mercury the first week of December this year. I am anticipating the same wonderful service and similar weather as last fall. First cruise left from LA, Mercury is out of San Diego. Summit is a larger ship, I believe, but I have read some wonderful things about Mercury.

Next week we'll get to experience the AMERICAN service experience from the staff of NCLA in Hawaii. Based on what I've read on the reviews, it will be a DIFFERENT experience from all our prior cruises. I have indeed adjusted our expections so that the overall ambiance of the islands will supercede the service onboard. I have learned that not sweating the small things will assist with life's overall outcome and enjoyment. (esp on an NCLA ship)

Goldie AZ

For an 8 day Mexican Riv cruise ... I like the freestyle dining and I liked the ports of call ... but I don't think you'd go wrong with Princess, Carnival or RCCL either ... can't speak for HAL ... never cruised with them. Look for best itinerary and price and have fun!

Archived