• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Western Caribbean

carole47

I am looking into going to the Western Caribbean on the Carnival Conquest. My question is when is the best time to go? I have 2 choices. Spring Break around the second week of April or Winter break. I live in So. California so I am not used to humidity. When is the weather the best?

We've been in the W. Carib. three times over winter break (February) and the weather was perfect.

Twice we left from Florida (Miami - Valor), Liberty (Ft. Lauderdale - Liberty), and the weather was great in Florida, too. When we took the Conquest from New Orleans in February (2004), it was winter in NOLA -- cold and rainy for two days. The first sea day was cool and it didn't warm up till the end of that day. The weather in Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel was perfect though.

We were in the Eastern Carib. once in April (leaving from Miami), and the weather was perfect then too.

Check out the weather in Galveston (isn't that where the Conquest leaves from?) in February and April if you want great weather beginning to end.

I am looking into going to the Western Caribbean on the Carnival Conquest. My question is when is the best time to go? I have 2 choices. Spring Break around the second week of April or Winter break. I live in So. California so I am not used to humidity. When is the weather the best?

I'll be on the Conquest in 2 more weeks, but I took the Elation out of Galveston last July. If you're not tied to a school calendar with kiddos, I would recommend April for cruising. In the Fall (like us) you have to be concerned about Hurricanes in the Gulf. We were in Cozumel, Belize and Progresso last July. It was HOT. Of course we're from Texas, so we're used to the heat. As long as you avoid Easter week, and go before the kids are out of school, you should have nice weather and a good price on the cruise. The water will be warm enough for swimming as well.

There is no bad time for the Caribbean. We are from Las Vegas and can not stand the humidity. We dont like the cold water. Even Cal is a bit to chilly for us. We have been lucky to have great weather on all our trips to the Caribbean. Last one was when the first stom hit this year. Missed us completly. We are going in two weeks, and hoping for the same luck.

This isn't about weather, but I would think that the Fall Break would have less children onboard...since many state school districts don't do a fall break. (Ours just started 2 years ago). So something to consider if that is an issue.

I prefer ANYTIME but Spring Break... but that is just because I like to cruise where there are fewer kids. Pricing will probably be higher in the spring than winter... I personally, would choose winter, but it depends on you... if you are cruising with kids, spring break might be better.

Actually I will be traveling with 3 children. That is why it has to be either Christmas vacation or Spring Break. Their spring break is the first week in April. I think we will shot for that time. I know there will be lots of kids, but that is what I want. It doesn't bother me.

Bluefin's mom here,

You said Conquest the first week of April (April 1-8)? If so, we have a roll call going. Please visit it!

We were on the Valor out of Miami last April (Eastern Carribean), weather was great and yes, the ship was full of kids, but it wasn't really a problem. Most were well behaved. I would think spring would have a few less kids since different schools have different spring breaks, but most schools have the same winter break.

Hopefully we'll see you on the roll call!

Actually I will be traveling with 3 children. That is why it has to be either Christmas vacation or Spring Break. Their spring break is the first week in April. I think we will shot for that time. I know there will be lots of kids, but that is what I want. It doesn't bother me.

Its not the kids that will be the problem, it's the college age kids that just wasnt to party and drink all week during spring break.

I was born in southern California, and have lived here in humid Houston for decades.

A winter visit to the Caribbean is what I would plan if I wanted any less humidity and lower temperatures.

That being said, know that both humidity and temp will not vary that much by season in the Caribbean.

Whatever cruise you choose, I wish you smooth seas and happy cruising!

Archived