How many ships can dock in St. Thomas?

noblepa

We're going on the Zuiderdam in April. We stop in St. Thomas on Tuesday, April 11. According to cruisecal.com, there will be three other ships in port the same day, Zuiderdam, Navigator of the Seas, Norwegian Spirit and Carnival Triumph.

Can St. Thomas accomodate four large ships at piers, or will one of them (such as us) have to tender in?

Paul Noble

We're going on the Zuiderdam in April. We stop in St. Thomas on Tuesday, April 11. According to cruisecal.com, there will be three other ships in port the same day, Zuiderdam, Navigator of the Seas, Norwegian Spirit and Carnival Triumph.

Can St. Thomas accomodate four large ships at piers, or will one of them (such as us) have to tender in?

Paul Noble

I've been there with 4 large ships docked at once

There are 2 docking areas in St. Thomas, Havensight and Crown Bay which is in the process of being updated. CB is a cab ride from downtown Charlotte Amalie and in a not-so-nice part of the island. Havensight is my preferred docking area. When we were in St. Thomas on the Zaandam (2005), we docked at CB. There were 2 ships there and 4 at havensight. I have heard of 7 ships in port in St.T at the same time. The streets were dreadfully crowded with 6 ships in. Sometimes ships do anchor rather than dock in St. Thomas. We found that all ports we visited that trip had similar problems except for Tortola which was delightful.

I don't think I'll be going back to the Caribbean anytime soon.

GN

Have been there with three ships (one of them a Princess' Grand class) alongside West Indies dock adjacent Havensight Mall, one anchored in the bay (and tendering to the Waterfront in Charlotte Amalie harbor) and two at what was then called the old submarine base. It got kinda crowded at Charlotte Amalie that day:eek:

Archived