• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Spirit Pre/Post Land Tour ????s

Victory Bound

We are thinking about taking our next family cruise to Alaska. We have done the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera, but never Alaska. I have a couple of questions and am hoping that some experienced Alaska cruisers can help me out.

We are looking at doing the Southern Glacier route with the 4-day pre-cruise land package offered by Carnival. The price on the land portion is almost as expensive as the cruise. In your opinion, is it worth it?? Are meals included during the land portion?

Traveling southbound, is it better to get a cabin on the port side?

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

My opinion, no it is not worth it. Meals also are not included. Budget 50% more than you would at home.

You have to do your homework with any land touring in Alaska, 4 days isn't enough time in my opinion. A great deal of that is in transit. Factor out everything and be certain you are purchasing what you think you are. Especially important for most is Denali Park- Shuttle buses are superior for getting farther into the Park, The best bargain in Alaska. :)

With only 4 days (can you add more??) you probably would be better off considering independent, if that is a possibility?? Makes better use of short time Plenty of accurate trip planning information on this board.

I'm planning our SB Carnical Spirit cruise for next July and I agree 4 days pre-cruise is not enough - but that's all we have - so that being said you can get LOTS done in that time if you plan. You can also do it much cheaper on your own and not be stuck on someone elses schedule.

We got a cabin on the port side - obstructed balcony towards the back (shorter lifeboats) saved about $600 from the regular balcony price and used the military discount. We are a family of 4. I have several things planned so far and while it will be cheaper doing it on our own it is still expensive.

My tip would be BOOK SOON as the best cabins go fast especially if you need a cabin for 3 or 4. You will need to put down a deposit of $350 each (more for the Alaska route) but it is refundable up until 70 days before the cruise.

Also - these boards are an invaluable source of information. There is a thread I stated called All Things Carnival Spirit that might answer some of your questions about the ship.

We did the NB Spirit this year. I was not thrilled with the Carnival itinerary yet we did not want to rent a car and drive. We wanted the convenience of being on our own yet wanted to do things that we had seen on various itinereries. We booked the post cruise ourselves. We wanted to travel by train, stay in the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge, be at Denali for 2 nights at either the Princess or McKinley Chalet. I booked the chalet myself. I also used Alaska Tour and travel. Again the prepackaged tours had some things I wasn't interested in so I called them and booked my own tour with just what I wanted and the hotels I wanted. I also booked the train through them. I could have booked everything myself but the cost was the same through Alaska Tour and Travel, they were terrific. It was much cheaper than doing this through the cruise and we got just what we wanted.

Thanks for all the great information. Alaska is a new venue for me so I will indeed need to do a lot of research. We are not planning this until summer of 2009, so I have a lot of time to do the researching.

I like the idea of planning our land pre-cruise independantly. I did this for our Mexican Riviera Pride cruise this summer and saved money and had better excursions than if I had booked through Carnival.

I know that 3 years seems like a long way out, but we have always planned and booked early. We like to pick our own cabins and one of those usually includes a CAT 11 suite with an aft corner wrap-around balcony. You can only get these by booking early.

Thanks again for your opinions. :)

I know that 3 years seems like a long way out, but we have always planned and booked early. We like to pick our own cabins and one of those usually includes a CAT 11 suite with an aft corner wrap-around balcony. You can only get these by booking early.
I started booking our July 2007 cruise in August 2005 so I understand completely.

We did the NB Spirit this year. I was not thrilled with the Carnival itinerary yet we did not want to rent a car and drive. We wanted the convenience of being on our own yet wanted to do things that we had seen on various itinereries. We booked the post cruise ourselves. We wanted to travel by train, stay in the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge, be at Denali for 2 nights at either the Princess or McKinley Chalet. I booked the chalet myself. I also used Alaska Tour and travel. Again the prepackaged tours had some things I wasn't interested in so I called them and booked my own tour with just what I wanted and the hotels I wanted. I also booked the train through them. I could have booked everything myself but the cost was the same through Alaska Tour and Travel, they were terrific. It was much cheaper than doing this through the cruise and we got just what we wanted.

Going this route of booking can have significant savings if you also look at and see if http://www.toursaver.com would be of any benefit. This year they had 2 for 1 on the Alaska RR with 2 nights at Denali Park.

I started booking our July 2007 cruise in August 2005 so I understand completely.

Yikes- hard for me to visualize. :) AND more power to you~~~ I am lucky to be 6 months ahead. I am now, just finishing up reservations for an Ireland trip in 2 weeks and will be in Bermuda for a week in between. :)

Archived