Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

New to priceline and I was wondering, I heard Marriott went completly non-smoking. Anyone know if this is true and if I bid resort and get Marriott can I not take it because of non-smoking? Also, I tried to check regular rate for Caribe Hilton for our trip (Jan 18, 2008) and they have no rooms available. Any reasons why this might be?

Yes the Marriott in San Juan is non-smoking. I actually called down there after winning a bid to request a non-smoking room and was informed then that it was all non-smoking.

I don't think you can not take the room if you win it. That's part of Priceline's regulations.

Seems strange that the Caribe Hilton would be sold out this soon. Wonder if there is anything big happening at that time. But, I have noticed that some nights appear to be fully booked, then all of a sudden someone wins a bid for those exact same dates. I would continue trying.

About the non-smoking, you will not be able to cancel your room. Once, your bid is accepted, they process your card. It is non-transferable, non cancellable.

Good Luck !!!

Joanne

in general the Caribe Hilton has a 2 night minimum for most weekends thru the website. And in fact, if you call also require the 2 night mimimum. Its only thru the Priceline winning bids that you can get 1 night on the weekend and its probably too early for 2008.

Recieved Caribe Hilton yesterday through priceline for $77.00 plus tax of $21.56 to total $98.56. We are staying one night precruise for our July 1st sailing on the Destiny. Two years ago we paid around $120.00 through priceline for the same hotel.

Did you bid for a resort or 3 star? I need a room that same night, and haven't been very successful in bidding.

I did my first bid for $111 for San Juan area -Resort. Didn't get it.

So then I did my free rebid, kept San Juan area and then I included 3star and increased the price to $116.

Hope that helps.

After trying for about a month (both 3 star and Resort) I finally got the Sheraton in Old San Juan for $100 + $26.89 (fees & taxes). Evidently the Sheraton charges a 9% resort fee even though they are considered a 3 Star by Priceline. This fee is payable to the hotel upon checkout. I am not complaining!! I only wish our cruise was leaving from across the street. I have generally had great results with Priceline and even though I sometimes get a little anxious, I have to remember "Don't give up".

I am totally getting ready to give up on Priceline... I keep getting my bids rejected (up to 140/night) and the hotel prices have gone up at least once in the past week.... How long is too long to wait before falling back on something?

When using priceline I always have in reserve a hotel room that allows cancellation at the very last minute.

I am not sure when you are planning on traveling but in my experience even two weeks before you plan on staying is not too late. The hotel may not have released any additional rooms recently and will wait until the last minute to do so.. So keep trying but always have a room reserved somewhere as a back up... did you try the Hampton inn in SJ? What about el cannario by the sea??

Well, I am looking for something kind of special... my preference would be Caribe Hilton or Marriott Stellaris... looking for a great big pool... and close proximity to american food... I haven't heard very good things about the Caniero group of inns, have you been there, and if so, how was it?

Just got a bid approved on Priceline for Sat night, 5/5 @ $125 for the San Juan Marriott Resort. Based on my searches that seems to be a real popular date. That is precruise. It looks better for post cruise on Sun 5/13.:)

I am stunned. I figured it was way too early to bid on rooms in San Juan for pre-cruise (11/9) and post cruise (11/17-19) for 3 rooms and I was accepted at the Marriott for both for $110/night. Shocked!!

Well, I am looking for something kind of special... my preference would be Caribe Hilton or Marriott Stellaris... looking for a great big pool... and close proximity to american food... I haven't heard very good things about the Caniero group of inns, have you been there, and if so, how was it?

My point was that in the event you are not successful you have a back up even if it isn't up to your expectations.... What happens if you cant get a room on priceline for your timeframes???? Many places have a two night minimum... Sometimes you just won't be lucky--maybe you will. IF you make a reservation you at least have a room

Hampton has a nice pool but it is noisy because it is close to airport....

If you are looking for something kind of special then you have to be prepared to pay for it! El Covento is a special place but pricey.... my choices might not work for you. I was just trying to give you inexpensive, reasonable, clean back ups....everyone has their own opinions... from what you have indicated it may be more difficult for you to find something that will be satifactory.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by penneysmama

I just looked at Hotwire and they have the Caribe Hilton (3.5 stars; customer favorite) for $185, but on Hilton.com they have a king room for $180. You have awhile yet, I would keep trying, maybe book the at the Hilton.com as your backup that you can cancel.

:D I also thought that it was to early to bid on a pre-cruise, Jan 26, 2008 but tried it and I did get the Marriott

2 Nights - Jan 24 and 25, 2008

$105.00 per night

TAXES AND FEES

TOTAL $268.00

I guess it is never to early to try...Love this Hotel.....

Just today - From Priceline - we got the Marriot Stellaris ($115.00)for before (06/03/07)and the Caribe Hilton ($110.00) for after(06/10/07). We are quite happy to have gotten such a deal and to be able to check out both places for future travels.

Karla

Hello. Doing the happy dance. Was able to get 2 rooms at $65. for 11/10 and 11/18 with $16.23 taxes and fees for the Caribe Hilton. Last Nov. I couldn't get my precruise night at the Caribe for nothing. It turns out a convention was booked and they were sold out by March. So my lesson was try as early as possible because the good deals can fade. The Caribe has fantastic grounds and a great locker room to change and shower before going home.

OC PAT

I'm specifically interested in trying to get the Sheraton on Priceline. Should I NOT use "resort" (but still request 3-star) when I put in my bid to narrow down the choices? Or, is the Sheraton considered a resort, and I would need to use that in my search to have a chance at getting that hotel?

I just got the Caribe Hilton for one night pre-cruise for $75. I bid resort and the San Juan area and got it on my first try :D

Autumn3, Now I understand the thing you wrote about priceline in another string :D

Any ideas when it is the best time for bidding? And can you choose between diff. hotels?

best wishes

Kim