Premedicating for cruise.

bartleby112

I am going to cozumel, belize, and costa maya. I have heard such horror stories about mexico and its "great" drinking water and getting sick as a dog after drinking it. I won't be drinking straight water but possibly Ice in a mixed drink.

I have connections with a physician and a pharmacy. So any suggestions out there for medications i may need to bring along incase i was to get sick or any other gastrointestinal bug. I know with the 1000's of people on this board someone has some good insight that I or perhaps someone else who was thinking the same thing could work off of.

You will probably be fine if you just stay away from the water. I think most restaurants bring in ice so you don't get sick from that. At least that's what I've heard on several posts. Be sure to practice good handwashing habits and use common sense, but if you're really worried about taking something, since you have "connections" to a physician/pharmacist, the smartest thing would be to just ask him/her. I think I'm going to bring a good broad spectrum antibiotic on my trip such as Cipro just in case I need it. It probably won't even be necessary but better to be safe than sorry I guess.

I am going to cozumel, belize, and costa maya. I have heard such horror stories about mexico and its "great" drinking water and getting sick as a dog after drinking it. I won't be drinking straight water but possibly Ice in a mixed drink.

I have connections with a physician and a pharmacy. So any suggestions out there for medications i may need to bring along incase i was to get sick or any other gastrointestinal bug. I know with the 1000's of people on this board someone has some good insight that I or perhaps someone else who was thinking the same thing could work off of.

Didn't take any medications with me on my cruise to Cozumel, Grand Caymans and Ocho Rios, Jamacia on September 2nd and while I didn't drink the water . . . I sure has heck digested lots of ice in my frozen margaritas. :p

Didn't take any medications with me on my cruise to Cozumel, Grand Caymans and Ocho Rios, Jamacia on September 2nd and while I didn't drink the water . . . I sure has heck digested lots of ice in my frozen margaritas. :p

Alcohol kills everything:D That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

We have had food and drinks in all three ports and have never had an issues.

All the cruises i have been on as a teenager i never drank in ports unless it was a bottled soda. Now that i am 23 and have the urge to go to this Carlos and Charlies place in cozumel i am just interested if the whole ice in mixed drinks can mess you up. My grand mother a few years ago was on a cruise in cozumel, had a mixed drink and had a horrible GI problem the rest of the cruise. So bad to where the last day she was wheeled off the ship in a wheel chair.

I don't know if there's much you can do to prevent GI distress from a microbe.... however, I do recommend taking along a tube of "Airborne". Basically all it is is a HIGH concentration of Vitamin C which helps ward off minor bugs. But, I think everyone is right, just don't drink the water and you'll probably be just fine. Have a great time!

I have had more than my share of CarlosNCharlies (and Senor Frogs) in Cozumel without any problems. The water in their ice is fine.

I always look like a pharmacy when I travel, just because I like to be prepared. You will probably have a greater chance of getting the Norwalk virus on the ship than getting tummy crabs from CarlosNCharlies.

I have crohns disease and that involves my who digestive track intestines bowels etc. We will be on the Liberty for the week of thankgiving. We have four cruises behind us. Two of them we ported in Cozumel. We bought bottled water and also have mixed drinks on Passion Island off of cozumel. Also had the food. I never have gotten sick. i really dont have a immune system with the dieseae. My doctor gives me an antibiotic called levaquin. it is for everything all kinds of infections or viruses. i always filled it and never used it. I think you will be safe. And you can buy medications in cozumel. all in all and knock on wood i havent even gotten a cold on any of the ships. good luck and have a safe trip.

:cool: :D

We ate at Carlos n' Charlies in Cozumel and I was worried about the water and I mentioned it to the waiters. Even though I didn't drink any, the waiter pointed out a seal on the menu that said they had safe drinking water. Nope....didn't drink the water, but I did drink their beer. :D And the friends we were with drank Margaritas in Mexico and didn't have a problem....well, except for maybe drinking too many Margaritas!! HA!

Also....I never leave home with my Imodium. I have IBS and that stuff is my security blanket. I also travel with Rolaids and Advil.

I ate and drank frozen drinks at Paradise Beach in Cozumel - had no problems at all. In Belize went cave tubing and ate at the little restaurant there - delicious and again no problems with the food or drinking the punch they served.

I am going to cozumel, belize, and costa maya. I have heard such horror stories about mexico and its "great" drinking water and getting sick as a dog after drinking it.

Last week on the Pride, Wendy and her Sister Shayla got sick, the only common factor was the Mexican Bottle Water that was given to them at Las Caletas at the Rythms of the Night tour in P.V. I has the same foods but didn't drink any of the bottle water they gave us at the show so I didn't get sick.

Fred

Lomotil is a great prescription to take for the upset GI- I have used this on several mission trips to Haiti. (They have told us not to even lick our lips in the shower there:eek: ) It gives relief in about 30 min and is very cheap to get. Hope you have a great trip and no problems!!!! I say better safe than sorry and you can always use it at home if someone gets sick!

I always travel with Cipro. My doctor has no problem giving me a script for it. A funny story about my doc. The last time I saw him after we discussed what we needed to..............he sat on his stool and pulled up close and said he needed to talk to me about something!!!! Well, I thought something must be wrong. He said," now I know that you cruise..........my friends want me to go on a cruise.........what do you think?" That was a relief!!!!! He was so serious........well off I went selling cruising!!! As I left he said that he was going to book that day!!!! He was so cute about it.......he is quite a bit younger than I am so I found this to be so cute!!!

Joan..................

Sail on...........

PS You never know when you might get a sinus infection too.....

I always travel with Cipro. My doctor has no problem giving me a script for it. A funny story about my doc. The last time I saw him after we discussed what we needed to..............he sat on his stool and pulled up close and said he needed to talk to me about something!!!! Well, I thought something must be wrong. He said," now I know that you cruise..........my friends want me to go on a cruise.........what do you think?" That was a relief!!!!! He was so serious........well off I went selling cruising!!! As I left he said that he was going to book that day!!!! He was so cute about it.......he is quite a bit younger than I am so I found this to be so cute!!!

Joan..................

Sail on...........

PS You never know when you might get a sinus infection too.....

I loved it . . . and you're right . . . that really was cute! It reminded me of what one of our Circuit Court judges did to me about three years ago. At the end of a two day trial, after the jury had reached it's verdict (my client was found guilty), the jury had been dismissed, my client had been taken into custody and all the post trial Motions had been noted . . . the bailiff did his usual, "Everyone Rise" (as the judge was leaving the bench). The judge then turned around and said, "Ms. Garvey, please see me in Chambers." My knees started to shake and all I could think of was . . . "what in the heck had I done wrong?" Never before or since has a judge told me to see him or her in Chambers. :eek: What did he want? The name of the cruise line I just taken to the Western Caribbean (Celebrity's Galaxy). He said he wanted to surprise his wife for their anniversary with a cruise and had heard "through the grapeline" what a wonderful time I had on my cruise. :)

I went on the Fascination last year from Miami to Key West and Cozumel.

I've been diganosed with IBS a very long time ago, and anyone familiar with that "syndrome" would know that traveling in general, makes it hard.

However, I have to be honest. The food on the cruise didn't make me sick.

And in Cozumel, I drank and drank and drank some more. After a while, I was drinking so much I didn't care and it was no problem.

We went to a private beach in Cozumel, and enjoyed our frozen, or iced drinks and food. Plus, we of course, did the Carlo N' Charlies run!! (Which I drank a frozen drink in a yard glass)

None of the 16 other people in my ground got sick! Only problem we had was alchol withdrawal aftewards.

To the person who's just turning 23 or so, Carlos and Charlies is great!!! Very close to the port, and conviently located right next door to Senor Frogs. A must do for everyone!! We had people ranging from 20 to 50's and we all had a great time.

Also, at the port, is Fat Tuesday's. Another great place to drink!!! They also have yard glasses.

But, don't worry! You'll just make yourself stressed out; which could in turn make your stomach worse. Just bring good old Immodium or Pepto and you should be good!!

Have an awesome trip! :D

I went on the Fascination last year from Miami to Key West and Cozumel.

I've been diganosed with IBS a very long time ago, and anyone familiar with that "syndrome" would know that traveling in general, makes it hard.

However, I have to be honest. The food on the cruise didn't make me sick.

And in Cozumel, I drank and drank and drank some more. After a while, I was drinking so much I didn't care and it was no problem.

We went to a private beach in Cozumel, and enjoyed our frozen, or iced drinks and food. Plus, we of course, did the Carlo N' Charlies run!! (Which I drank a frozen drink in a yard glass)

None of the 16 other people in my ground got sick! Only problem we had was alchol withdrawal aftewards.

To the person who's just turning 23 or so, Carlos and Charlies is great!!! Very close to the port, and conviently located right next door to Senor Frogs. A must do for everyone!! We had people ranging from 20 to 50's and we all had a great time.

Also, at the port, is Fat Tuesday's. Another great place to drink!!! They also have yard glasses.

But, don't worry! You'll just make yourself stressed out; which could in turn make your stomach worse. Just bring good old Immodium or Pepto and you should be good!!

Have an awesome trip! :D

Acidophilus

Acidophilus supplements can reintroduce beneficial bacteria into the system. Important benefits of acidophilus supplementation can include:

1. Keeping constipation and diarrhea under control.
  2. Counteracting lactose intolerance by its association with lactase.
  3. Reduction of bad breath.
  4. Reduction of internal gas.
  5. Cholesterol control by promoting normal absorption of dietary fats.
  6. Suppression of candida yeast.
  7. Suppression of a number of intestinal disorders.
  8. Prevention of intestinal contamination from infectious organisms
    common in some foreign countries.

I never leave home without a little item called Traveler's Friend. It is grapefruit seed extract and a citricidal. It is, without a doubt, the most valuable thing to take with you. It will kill any nasty stomach bugs you might get from water or ice. And it will "sanitize" any questionable drinking water. It has worked miracles for hubby and I.

It's available locally and online.

And I must add, if you do get a bug from water...do NOT take Imodium or something like that. I just heard this again on the news tonight in regard to the E-coli outbreak. Think about it...if you've got some kind of bug in there, you want it to get out of your system ASAP. Imodium may get rid of the trots, but it's not doing anything about the root of your problem. And the longer you have that bug in there, the worse your problems will become.

Archived