• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

What are your expectations?

Sky Sweet

There has been much discussion on this board about the condition of Celebrity's aging ships with very different points of view.

What are your expectations of a ship that is no longer new, and how do you distinguish between "normal wear and tear" and "deferred maintenance"?

Well all I can say is that my DH and I chose Celebrity for their reputation to detail, and outstanding service. This will be our first cruise and we splurged on a Sky Suite because we'll be celebrating and my DH wanted me to be pampered. So we have high expectations and are so hoping that Mercury will live up to them. Old or new ship I fully expect Celebrity to do all they can to keep their ships up if they want to maintain the reputation that initially drew us to them.

If you advertise world class treatment than do the work behind the scenes to live up to your advertising.

Example, when we took our daugter to Disneyland and stayed at their premier hotel we fully expected and received "Disney" standards, such as constant cleaning, attention to detail, and customer service. So when you build a reputation as providing a certain degree of service you better do everything you can to live up to it.

Does this make sense? anyway I am sure we will have just the best time ever.;)

On a older ship my expectations are not that high. However, I insist on cleanliness, my cabin must be clean and everything in proper working order. I really don;t think that it takes much to show wear and tear with the amount of people who cruise weekly. Alot of travelers do not have any respect for the vessel they are on, they do not care what they damage or how their behaviour may affect future cruisers. In most cases I have seen staff cleaning constantly to try and keep the ship in tip top shape. I was on the Zenith in January and can honestly say that from a cleanliness point of view I was pleased with the product. I have been on one ship that was a true train wreck, things were dirty, lamp shades in public areas where torn and crooked ( not acceptable). Outside our cabin the carpets were badly stained, we had no drawers of any type in our room, and the end of the hallway smelled like a sewer. Needless to say, that line is bankrupt. That being said, I want a clean ship, good food, and decent entertainment. After that the fun is up to me.:D

My only REAL expectation is that, at the end of the day (or the end of the cruise) when I add up all of the positives and the negatives, that it comes out strongly on the positive side. Worn furnishings or a mediocre waiter or a bad show or a missed port might not mean much to me if everything else about the cruise was fantastic. However, these issues would mean a lot more to me if they weren't counter-balanced by wonderful things.

Looking back, if enough things were great to substantially outweigh any little problems, then I probably had a very nice trip and it was worth my time and money. Why focus on the problems if, overall, you're having fun? However, if the problems are common enough or serious enough to outweigh the good points, then it is a bad cruise, and would cause me to seriously consider never cruising that line or that ship again.

Well, we're sailing on the Constellation in three weeks, and I am expecting quite a bit, now that I think about it!

We've sailed Celebrity before, but that was eight years ago. But it was a great cruise, and I am expecting no less this time. I've read nothing but good about Connie, and that doesn't help my expectations to be slightly lower at all. In fact, with her being a much newer ship than Galaxy, and larger, and it being a longer than seven-day cruise, I would say our expectations are very high!

However, having been on a very bad cruise a couple of years ago, I know that things can happen, other than weather, and I suppose that just is going to stay stuck in the back of my mind for the rest of my cruising life.

But, three weeks out, our expectations are SAILING HIGH!!! :D

Shay

p.s. please don't misinterpret that last statement...

What are your expectations of a ship that is no longer new, and how do you distinguish between "normal wear and tear" and "deferred maintenance"?

Like many cruisers, we pay a lot of money for our cruises. We don’t cruise as often as some since we prefer to save up enough so we do not have to cut corners when we do cruise. Therefore we expect to thoroughly enjoy our selves for the entire cruise and to not sweat the small stuff. It’s the whole cruise experience that’s important to us.

We expect a clean cabin and ship.

We expect the facilities to be in good working condition.

We expect courteous and timely service.

We expect a variety of entertainment that holds our interest.

We expect a timely embarkation and debarkation.

We expect a variety of activities that allow us to choose what interest us.

We expect a varied menu and properly prepared meals.

We expect a safe voyage.

The itinerary is the number one thing. If we get to visit a number of neat ports of call we're happy.

Other than that we want to have a clean stateroom and friendly service in the restaurant and at the buffets. We don't book concierge class or suites so our expectations about pampering are not as high as others I suppose.

Heard about the old time sailor men

They eat the same thing again and again

Warm beer and bread they said could raise the dead

Well it reminds me of the menu at a Holiday Inn. :)

Now that I have sailed in all the ships of X's fleet, I have my own rankings for my cruise plans.

We sail for the "Celebrity Treatment" of great service, above average food, the passenger mix, a certain level of formality (dress code) and ship activities.

The X treatment is fairly uniform throughout the fleet from oldest to newest.

There are certain things that bother me about ship maintenance because I would not let my own home deteriorate to the level of certain items on X... With over 100 days on Celebrity ships in the last year, we obviously like the experience despite the shortcomings....

Galaxy is in a sad state but pricing reflects an inferior vessel... service aside. Deferred maintenance all the way...inexcusable.

Zenith, despite offering excellent "treatment" has the characteristics of an older design that can't be fixed.

Bedding...well that topic is being addressed.

I have found the ships clean but furniture should have a refurbishment plan that is long overdue. Summit for example has a serious wear problem in the Rendezvous lounge. Whether the problem was inferior fabric or too much use is debatable but a ship of that age should not display such quality.

I believe that X's brand name is being damaged by the lack of routine maintenance. Perception is everything. Every passenger will report to their friends what they experienced on a Celebrity vessel. These perceptions are not universally positive.

I don't know what we are in for. I wanted to do a "cheapie" this winter. We are spending a week at the San Juan Marriott, which I got for a song on Priceline. Now I read that the renovations will not be finished on time and they will be putting people up in the musty cabana rooms. After that, we are spending 11 days on the Galaxy. You know what everyone is saying about that ship. All I can say is that I found myself "some bargain"!!!

If all the accomodations are as bad as predicted, I am sure we will do our share of complaining. But when all is said and done, we will be in the warm, hopefully sunny, Caribbean for 19 days, so I am sure we will appreciate the lack of snow!!!!

Arlene - you will enjoy it no matter what!! As long as its clean!!! After a couple of drinks, you won't notice a few stains on the carpet.

We stayed at the Marriot in San Juan. It was just OK!!! Why don't you see if there are any other bargains there?

Are you coming to Ft.L on the cruise or is it just around the islands? Love to see you!!

Hi Roz! We are sailing out of San Juan. It would be great to see you and your Mom again. Hopefully, one day our paths will cross again.

We prepaid the Marriott with Priceline....so that's it! It was too cheap to refuse!

We have sailed on Galaxy before. Actually, we had a problem and had to change cabins. You can be sure I didn't choose that cabin again!

Two couples are joining us, so I hope the ship isn't as bad as they say. I have seen shabby on Celebrity ships before, and although it doesn't thrill me, it doesn't daunt me either!

I am more disappointed about the cancellation of bridge (2 seadays), than the non-functional jacuzzi, which I wouldn't use anyway.

This is the last cruise we have planned. We used to have 2 or 3 on the fire. Next winter (hopefully), we would like to do 3 weeks, land, in Argentina and maybe Chile and maybe Rio. We will have to figure it out.....but NO SHABBY OR MUSTY hotels!!

I am most anxious to answer this question about concerns of an aging fleet and the Zenith, our first cruise. Let me assure you : our room - extraordinarily clean, bedding just fine. towels, soap, etc. perfect. the stateroom attendants received a generous gratuity because they were outstanding. dining area, lounge, library, and evening show lounge - magnificent. pool area - clean. lounge chairs - comfortable. public rest rooms - could use some work.

during the week, i discovered that the only individuals that did not have an enjoyable experience are those who are concerned with minor imperfections, comparing the zenith to newer ships. the company we were with, new friends made, the delicious food, great shows and m.c., ourstanding service all provided for a marvelous time.

during the week, i discovered that the only individuals that did not have an enjoyable experience are those who are concerned with minor imperfections, comparing the zenith to newer ships. the company we were with, new friends made, the delicious food, great shows and m.c., ourstanding service all provided for a marvelous time.

What is minor to some is major to others, and I only judge for myself. Your generalization is not appropriate IMO and presumes that your priorities are the only ones that matter.:(

Archived