Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brunolvr

NCL Spirit Review, Part One

NORWEGIAN SPIRIT 7/03/04 TO 7/10/04

We had a great cruise on the Spirit. Here’s our review:

Embarkation – Went very smoothly. We arrived at the parking garage across the street from the terminal about 11:15 and by 12:10 we were having lunch at Windows after dropping off our carry-on stuff in our stateroom. There were no lines to speak of for check-in but we got there before they started loading the ship so we had to wait about ½ hour before loading began. Our room steward was just finishing up with the room so we asked him for some type of pad (eggcrate foam or whatever) to soften the hard mattress. By late afternoon, it had been taken care of and we enjoyed a comfortable bed all week. The weather was beautiful in Seattle and it got a little warm for our “lifeboat drill” at 4:00. As we pulled away from the dock around 4:45, a fireboat serenaded us with a water show which was enjoyed by all.

Day at Sea – Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day at sea with temperatures in the mid-60’s. It was a scenic day while cruising the inside passage – there was so much to see, we never wanted to go inside. We took over 50 pictures that day alone.

Ketchikan – We pulled into Ketchikan about 6:00 on rainy Monday morning. It rained the whole time we were there (over 2” of rain that day) and the temperatures were in the mid-50’s. We got right off the ship (no lines) about 8:00 for our excursion (Totem Bight & Ketchikan City tour). After we got back from our excursion, we walked to Creek Street and around town. Getting back on the Spirit around 1:30 was no problem at all – we just walked right on.

Juneau – We arrived in Juneau quite early, around 5 in the morning. There was a very low cloud ceiling and it was “misting” out (light rain) and again the temperatures were in the 50’s. We didn’t book any excursions in Juneau and had planned to go up the Mt. Roberts Tram, but it was so cloudy out and the visibility was so bad, we decided it wasn’t worth it. So, we set off walking to explore Juneau – we went to the Alaska State Museum which is quite nice. Again there were no problems or lines in getting off or back on the Spirit. We did dock quite a ways from downtown, but the shuttle busses were there to take you back and forth so that was no big deal.

Tracy Arm & Sawyer Glacier – We left Juneau promptly at 2:00 and entered Tracy Arm Fjord around 4:30 and were at Sawyer Glacier about 5:45. It was cloudy (at least it wasn’t raining), so we didn’t get to see some of the magnificent colors that abound when the sun is out. We viewed the entire event from our balcony (Deck 9, starboard side) and had a fabulous view and could keep popping back into our nice warm stateroom when we got too cold (and it was cold). There were a lot of icebergs so we didn’t think we were going to be able to get very close, but we did – I kind of felt like I was on the “Titanic” hitting all the icebergs we did, but we got quite close to the glacier (didn’t get to see or hear any calving, though). There were hundreds of seals (a lot of babies) lying on the icebergs.

Dying for part 2....when's the sequel coming??? Looking forward to hearing more about the ship, the food, the activities, the cabins, and disembarking. Thanks for taking the time to share!! :)

Thank you for the review so far. Did the captain swing the boat around so that both starboard and port get a good view of the glacier? On the first day was land visable from both starboard and port balconies? I just found out that NCL changed my rooms for some reason (from 10158 to 10658, so we have changed sides of the boat. I'm hoping the views are just as good so that we can stay on our balcony on the first sea day. Did you go out to sea on your way back down the coast or could you still see land? Please post your pic's, I would love to see them!!!

The best place for viewing the glacier was on the sun deck towards the bow (front) of the ship - but that was also the coldest place (and very crowded)! I would think you should be able to see the glacier from your balcony. Once the ship got as close to the glacier as we were going to, we turned right and headed back out (the only way out is the way in). Yes, viewing was terrific on both sides of the ship on both Saturday and Sunday (our first day at sea). In fact, the people on the port side saw more whales than we did on the starboard side. No, not much land was in view at all our last day at sea as we cruised on the west side of Vancouver Island - starboard side was all ocean and on the port side the land was so far away, it was hard to see most of the time. Once I figure out how to post our digital pictures, I will. We took over 300!

Thanks for the answers. Have they updated the movies in the cinema and the video games in the arcade. We usually let our kids spend a few dollars a day in there. We don't go until 9/18, so it is going to be chilly. Can you move the little couch in your room to face the door and still enjoy the view? Does Windows serve a different lunch menu each day or is it a fixed menu for the week? Was there ever an "early bird or lunch" special in the specialty restaurants? (We ate for 1/2 price on the Star a few years ago when we ate early.) Where was your room on deck 9? Your the best.

Janet

We never went to the cinema - we wanted to enjoy every moment possible of the beautiful Alaska scenery - but as listed in the "Daily" some of the movies shown were:

What Women Want, The Bachelor, Daredevil, Secondhand Lions, Minority Report, Brother Bear, Mystic River, Wonder Boys, Cold Mountain, Like Mike, The Company. Although by the time you cruise in September, I'm sure there will be different movies playing. Have no idea about the video arcade - we never visited it. I'm not sure if you could move the "little couch" (it's a hide-a-bed and quite heavy) in front of the balcony door or not. We did most of our viewing standing up since the plexiglass (or maybe just glass) railing on the balcony was hard to see through - it was pretty wet most of the time! The breakfast menu in Windows was pretty much the same all week, with just a couple of changes. The lunch menu did change daily though. The specialty restaurants opened at 5:30 and we didn't notice any specials. We were in stateroom 9032 about the 14th cabin from the front on the starboard side. We had a terrific room steward who made us a different towel animal every night!

I hope my review isn't too boring - this is my first review so I hope I'm doing okay - any suggestions as to the best place (or easiest) to post my photos? I'm not as computer knowledgeable as I would like to be! Thanks!

I hope my review isn't too boring - this is my first review so I hope I'm doing okay - any suggestions as to the best place (or easiest) to post my photos? I'm not as computer knowledgeable as I would like to be! Thanks!

Definitely not boring, I've enjoyed reading all 4 parts, thanks for taking the time! (you may want to add it to the Reviews section of cruisecritic.com too)

As for photos, I know several people who have found www.photobucket.com easy to use. Good luck!

Day 2 of pictures is now posted and I'm working on more. My whole review is in the "reviews" section.