• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Would you let teens room by themselves?

tamtot

Hi To All

---We're doing a 3 day on Sovereign. It's an all girls trip, me (42) and my 2 adult sisters. We're taking my 15 year old daughter and her best friend. We have cabins NEXT TO each other, but the adjoining cabin to mine was already booked. These are OceanView cabins. As of now, our intent is to let the girls have their own cabin. (Going for my daughter's 16th birthday).

Lest I sound like one of "those" parents--I KNOW my kids are not perfect (I also have an 18 yr old and a 17 yr old, both boys) -my daughter has a good head on her shoulders, and isn't into drugs/drinking,etc. (Not saying she'll NEVER go there-she's just not there yet)..

DO YOU THINK IT'S sAFE TO LET THEM ROOM TOGETHER? Obviously I'll have curfew and such, and I keep a pretty tight leash. Both of our cabins have capabilities to sleep 3, so I can room with them if necessary.

Input, please!

****Also, what type of form do I need to take my daughter's best friend?****

THANKS TO ALL!

Tammy

You know your daughter best--what does your instinct tell you?

I have let my older daughter and her best friend share a cabin--they were both just 18 at the time, and it was the length of the ship and 5 decks away from mine. LOL My 2 daughters have shared a cabin about 10 away from ours when they were ages 20 and 12. We had plans to let younger DD and her best friend share a cabin across the hall from ours when they would have been 14 and 15 (ended up friend couldn't go, but that's another story). So obviously I don't have a problem with the concept. :D

Have a meeting with your daughter, her friend, and the friend's parents, setting out the expectations for the girls and the consequences for not following the rules. Enlist the girls' input on what's reasonable for 2 young ladies their ages onboard. Have them check in with you when they come back to the cabin for the night.

Forms--There are web sites with the forms to print out and fill in/sign. I'm sure others can chime in with that info. I know you need a notarized permission to take the friend, permission for you to consent to medical treatment, and of course her passport if the cruise is in 2007 or later.

Have a great time!

Chris

I let my daughter room with 2 other teens on the Enchantment and it worked out just fine. They are all good kids and we didn't have any problem with them. They had a 1am curfew but of course there really isn't much going on for them late night so they usually were in early. They loved watching movies and ordering room service late night. I would always make a bed check around 130 am to make sure they were safe and secure.

As for taking your childs friend, when I did that I needed a notorized letter from her parents saying I had permission to take her out of the country. The letter also gave me permission to get her medical treatment if necessary.

We put our two teens in their own cabin every time we can. You know your child best, if you feel she can handle it and her friend can handle it, go for it. I'll admit my kids are with us most of the time, they aren't real crazy for the teen club.

Have regularly scheduled meeting times, check their cabin often and trust them to make good choices.

You need a permission form signed by both parents and notorized by a notary, include a medical waiver with it. I did a search, this looks promissing, I think it has links for forms to download:

http://www.familytravelforum.com/articles/article/10545

Don't forget you all will need birth certificates and one other form of photo ID. My kids have used their school ID for this purspose, under 16 may not always need it, but if they have one, or a drivers license, bring it along. Make sure the birth certificates are the right kind, issued by your state, not the hospital kind! If you have passports, all the better.

Have a great cruise!

Thought I better comment on the last post. The latest info is that as of Jan 8, 2007, all passengers leaving the US on a ship or plane will need to have a valid passport. Birth certificates will essentially be worthless for travel. Since this deadline is fast approaching, you can expect the passport office to be slower than usual so its a good idea to apply several months before your cruise.

Hank

Thanks to ALL of you! I feel so much better:-)

To the poster who said the teens enjoyed watching movies--do the cabins have a DVD player? (This is on Sovereign). The girls LOVE watching movies, hadn't even thought about that option!

We put our two teens in their own cabin every time we can. You know your child best, if you feel she can handle it and her friend can handle it, go for it. I'll admit my kids are with us most of the time, they aren't real crazy for the teen club.

Have regularly scheduled meeting times, check their cabin often and trust them to make good choices.

You need a permission form signed by both parents and notorized by a notary, include a medical waiver with it. I did a search, this looks promissing, I think it has links for forms to download:

http://www.familytravelforum.com/articles/article/10545

Don't forget you all will need birth certificates and one other form of photo ID. My kids have used their school ID for this purspose, under 16 may not always need it, but if they have one, or a drivers license, bring it along. Make sure the birth certificates are the right kind, issued by your state, not the hospital kind! If you have passports, all the better.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks SO MUCH for the links!

Tammy

My girls were 12 and 14 and they shared a room down the hall from us. We had to say that my husband and I were taking a room with each of the girls because they wouldn't let them stay in a room without an adult. It worked out fine. My girls are well behaved and many nights they just hung out in their room with their friends playing cards and watching TV.

We took three of my daughters friends for her sweet 16 and they had a JS next door to ours. No problems what so ever. I did threaten if they did anything wrong, I would be there new roomate! They were great. We took one of the girls with us in June and she shared a JS with my daughter next to ours and that was for nine days our of Bayonne. Again, no problems. Just set curfews, meeting times, ect. The Sovereign was easy to keep track of the four of them. On the Explorer, we always ran into them on deck and such. We had balconies each time, they honored the no boys in the cabin policy, and no one ever complained about them as far as behavior or noise. It was a great time had by all!

Hi, Tammy..me, again. Our kids have always had a separate cabin and we've never had any problems. We have never had to book an adult in the cabin, as some posters state. You know you can trust the girls and I know that you are an attentive parent. I'm sure you will all have a wonderful cruise!

Connie

Two 16-year-old girls in a cabin by themselves?

If it was my daughter and her friend, I wouldn't allow it. And if I was the friend's mother I wouldn't be happy not having an adult in the room with them.

Yes, they may be very well-behaved girls, not into drinking, etc. But there is always a first time, and with so many temptations on a cruise ship I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing the girls were in another room alone. Too many things can happen.

And one poster allowed her 12 and 14 year olds to be in a room alone? All I have to say to that is...Wow!

There is a reason cruise ships want an adult in the room with underage teens, and for parents to lie and register an adult in the room but then not stay there is just showing your teens that doing something to "get around the rules" is an OK thing to do.

Two 16-year-old girls in a cabin by themselves?

If it was my daughter and her friend, I wouldn't allow it. And if I was the friend's mother I wouldn't be happy not having an adult in the room with them.

Yes, they may be very well-behaved girls, not into drinking, etc. But there is always a first time, and with so many temptations on a cruise ship I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing the girls were in another room alone. Too many things can happen.

And one poster allowed her 12 and 14 year olds to be in a room alone? All I have to say to that is...Wow!

There is a reason cruise ships want an adult in the room with underage teens, and for parents to lie and register an adult in the room but then not stay there is just showing your teens that doing something to "get around the rules" is an OK thing to do.

Yvonne,

I just want to be clear on this, I was completely up front with RCCL, and they were fine with two teenagers being in the cabin next door. That is how they registered them, so I didn't break any rules. I believe it's because we will be right next door, not sure about the rules on that.

Tammy

Yvonne,

I just want to be clear on this, I was completely up front with RCCL, and they were fine with two teenagers being in the cabin next door. That is how they registered them, so I didn't break any rules. I believe it's because we will be right next door, not sure about the rules on that.

Tammy

I'm sorry, I didn't mean you were the one who lied to RCI and said an adult would be in the room with the teens and then didn't stay there, it was another poster who said that. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post.

I have cruised 4 times with my kids in separate cabins. Cabins have ranged from connecting to several doors down. I have NEVER lied to get around any rules. They were registered to that cabin. In the 2006 -2007 brochure it states A parent or legal guardian must accompany guest under the age of 21 and must be booked in the same or adjacent stateroom. Tthe only situations where minors (under 21) can be berthed without and adult (21 or older) in a stateroom are when at least one parent is sailing. No lying required. If you choose to not allow your kids in a separate cabin, that is your choice but you shouldn't make assumptions about those that do.

We also put our kids in their own room and were up front about it as well.

The lady who booked us said we should know by now that an adult did not need to be in with the older kids.

She laughed about it and put the kids in under their own names.

I do think it is a rule but that it is not always enforced

I have cruised 4 times with my kids in separate cabins. Cabins have ranged from connecting to several doors down. I have NEVER lied to get around any rules. They were registered to that cabin. In the 2006 -2007 brochure it states A parent or legal guardian must accompany guest under the age of 21 and must be booked in the same or adjacent stateroom. Tthe only situations where minors (under 21) can be berthed without and adult (21 or older) in a stateroom are when at least one parent is sailing. No lying required. If you choose to not allow your kids in a separate cabin, that is your choice but you shouldn't make assumptions about those that do.

I guess I will have to come right out and say it, poster #10 is the one who admitted they lied.

I'm not "making assumptions", I'm stating my opinion about parents who lie to get around the rules.

I am making my daughter stay in our cabin on our next cruise. When she was 16 her and a friend both left the ship in the Bahamas with a few other teens they met on the cruise. I would have never suspected that she would do that becasue of all my warnings. When she did not check with me at the appropriate time we tracked them down ( I make her check with me EVERY hour).

Because of this incident trust is an issue when we cruise. She does not have much freedom on our vacations.

So, even if you think you child will follow your rules, just be aware they may be led astray.

Brenda,

Wow, that's freaky. The girls are planning to hang with us during the day in Nassau, but I will be sure to make specific rules that they are NOT to leave the ship.

Curious, how did you have them check in hourly? Did you do walkie talkies?

Any other rules I should be sure to have?

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi,

We sailed this past Easter with our 16 year old daughter and her best friend and they were in a seperate cabin across the hall from my husband and I. We were upfront with our agent when booking and the room was booked under the girls names. Yes you hear many stories of cruise ship mishaps these days so there were extra rules for them for that reason. First thing is we travel with Motorola walkie talkies which we had one and the girls had one and we had them at all times. We actually saw many families using them on the ship and they were great. The girls were told never to go anywhere alone if one has to use the restroom you both do, you never tell anyone your cabin number or bring anyone to your cabin. The girls had to let us know where they were at all times the teen club, movie theater, etc. We are very good friends with her parents as well so we went out to dinner before our trip and discussed all the rules with the girls ahead of time. I must say it was a wonderful trip for all of us. The girls would come across the hall each morning in their pj's and sit on the balcony with us before getting ready for the day, we had every meal together, we even took them 3 nights to the specialty restaurants with us, we were all together in every port and excursion ( we would have never let them go off alone in a port), so the only time the girls were away from us was on sea days sitting at the pool, in the evening after dinner to the teen club, otherwise to sleep or shower and get ready. The great thing was the extra bathroom and the fact the girls could stay up and have girl talk at night before going to sleep without keeping us up. When we checked in we told them we had two cabins and they had our keys made to open both cabin doors. This way the girls could come in our cabin anytime and we could go in theirs anytime. We are booked in 2007 with 2 cabins again one with a balcony for us and one for our daughter and her same friend both 17 then and their other best friend so we will have the 3 girls across the hall. We had no trouble whatsoever and it was one of the best times we've had. They still keep in touch with the friends they made on the ship and we had the pleasure of meeting them along with their parents while on excursions and spending time with everyone together on the beach and snorkeling it was alot of fun for all of us. The girls are counting down the days to September 2007!

It is impossible for anyone else to really answer this question for you. You know your daughter better than anyone else. Some teens are perfectly capable of being on their own. I had my own apartment at 16 and I turned out fine! Others, you need to keep a little closer. I would make sure that her best friend's mother is ok with her being in a separate cabin, too.

You will need a letter notarized by the parents of your daughter's best friend authorizing her to travel with you. I would have them include a contact number if verification is needed.

Good luck! Whatever you decide, everyone will have a great time!

We've let our teen son bunk with a friend in a promenade cabin across from ours on the four cruises we've been on. We've retained a key to the room on all cruises and have gone into the room when they were not in. We've insisted on dinner with us every night. One word of advice. Use your cabin steward as a resource in keeping an eye on the room. They know you are the one paying the tip and will partner with you on this.

I think my greater fear is for their safety---but they will be having dinner with us and spending the days with us, so I think I'll enforce the rule that they are to have no boys in their cabin at ANY TIME. And check with them often at night (during freetime).

Thanks again, you all are so helpful,

Tammy

I recently returned from a trip with my husband, daughter and daughter's girlfriend. We had a fabulous time, and the girls were in their own room across the hall. It never presented a problem. However, I had them call us in the evening when they were settled in for the night. I would do the same again in a heartbeat! Have a wonderful time.:)

Archived