• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

How many of use have had the Noronvirus on Royal Caribbean

jamiedog11

Hi All,

I have been on 2 Royal Caribbean Cruises and on each one we have had a lot of the Noronvirus going around.

The Spendlor was the the worst (transanaltic oct) 2005 All we kept hearing was Alpha Alpha Alpha, deck ? and then seeing the person carted of on a streacher Not very nice when you our travelling with your mum, wondering what if she caught it.

On the legend the hand washing lotion was there on day one but with the spendlor it only came out after the problem had spread.

On the Brill. in April we had the same problem again,

People were moaning because they were made to use the lotion, they were probley the ones which helped cause it.

Just like to know how many others have had the same problem.

carol

4 cruises with RCCL - zero virus. We take vitamins every day, wash our hands and take the necessary precautions. I think a lot of the illness that people get on any vacation is also from eating to much, drinking to much and not sleeping enough. Stress in general tends to wear down your immune system and getting "ready" to travel somewhere is generally stressful.

In over 20 cruises we never caught anything....until the last one--Brilliance Transatlantic last April. We both were careful, used Purell, etc. and DH got it but I didn't. He is probably more careful than I am so I must have more antibodies. :p

You mean Norovirus don't you?:)

We have been on 14 RCCI cruises and never got sick. Very obsessive about washing hands before eating and after holding on to the stair bannisters,etc. And we tend to eat, drink, and party too much, so I think it has to do with your immune system. I think there are some people out there who are just more fragile.

Oh I did get sick once,,, but I was sea sick for about 6 hours, not on the ship but on the small boat that took us to Stingray City,,, then I had to sit and watch and smell all that awful squid they were feeding the stingrays,,, that was one very miserable day!

But fine in time to eat, drink, gamble and party that night:D

Out of 6 of us traveling together, 3 of us caught it. My parents were only sick for a little over a day. My husband was sick for 5 days. He would take Pepto and that would help but the symptoms would come back as soon as the Pepto wore off. We heard a woman later say that she was diagnosed with salmonella (food poisoning) and not norovirus. My husband thinks that is what he had rather than the norovirus since the norovirus symptoms should only last 24-36 hours. Salmonella can mess up your system for up to a week.

I saw on the CDC website that over 200 people reported illness on the Radiance that week. I don't know how many people didn't report it. No one in our group reported to the doctor. My parents weren't sick that long and my husband has heard about how passengers was treated in the past.

The woman sitting next to us to debark was extremely angry about the way she and her husband and kids were treated by the staff. If one person in a room was sick, the staff confined everyone staying in that room or traveling with that person to their rooms. The staff called their rooms every 2 hours to make sure that the people were still there. If you took your phone off the hook to be able to rest, the staff sent someone to bang on your door. The only way for the confined people to get food was through room service. I saw our waiter in the hallway one morning and he told me it was taking them over two hours to fill room service orders because there were so many sick passengers. He didn't normally do room service but was helping because of the backlog. The only things you could get was the normal room service menu. The woman was saying that she couldn't get any soft foods, like broth-based soups or eggs, because they weren't on the menu for that day and she couldn't eat the creamy soup since it was so heavy. I didn't get sick so I was able to bring food and water back for my husband since he didn't feel like leaving the cabin.

I was reading some on the Princess board since they had a outbreak that same week. It sounded like they treated their sick passengers even worse than RC, if the reports are real.

Out of 6 of us traveling together, 3 of us caught it. My parents were only sick for a little over a day. My husband was sick for 5 days. He would take Pepto and that would help but the symptoms would come back as soon as the Pepto wore off. We heard a woman later say that she was diagnosed with salmonella (food poisoning) and not norovirus. My husband thinks that is what he had rather than the norovirus since the norovirus symptoms should only last 24-36 hours. Salmonella can mess up your system for up to a week.

I saw on the CDC website that over 200 people reported illness on the Radiance that week. I don't know how many people didn't report it. No one in our group reported to the doctor. My parents weren't sick that long and my husband has heard about how passengers was treated in the past.

The woman sitting next to us to debark was extremely angry about the way she and her husband and kids were treated by the staff. If one person in a room was sick, the staff confined everyone staying in that room or traveling with that person to their rooms. The staff called their rooms every 2 hours to make sure that the people were still there. If you took your phone off the hook to be able to rest, the staff sent someone to bang on your door. The only way for the confined people to get food was through room service. I saw our waiter in the hallway one morning and he told me it was taking them over two hours to fill room service orders because there were so many sick passengers. He didn't normally do room service but was helping because of the backlog. The only things you could get was the normal room service menu. The woman was saying that she couldn't get any soft foods, like broth-based soups or eggs, because they weren't on the menu for that day and she couldn't eat the creamy soup since it was so heavy. .I didn't get sick so I was able to bring food and water back for my husband since he didn't feel like leaving the cabin

I was reading some on the Princess board since they had a outbreak that same week. It sounded like they treated their sick passengers even worse than RC, if the reports are real.

I thought you said that others were confined to their room if one was sick?

They only will confine you if you report to the medical facility. Since I read previous accounts of what RC does to people who are confined to their cabins (excessive phone calls and minimal access to food or water), we knew that having both of us confined could worsen the situation. The best way to feel better is to get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids. That is difficult to do when someone calls you every 2 hours to wake you up or the only access to water is to wait for room service to bring it. I never had any signs of symptoms.

My husband stayed in the cabin voluntarily for the remainder of the cruise. I brought him food and water. I went to either the Solarium or Sea View to bring back food and drinks. I stayed out of the Windjammer after witnessing the disgusting behavior of the crew members to make sure that I wouldn't catch anything. I'm a germophobe so I make it a point to scrub my hands well after using the restroom or touching anything on the ship, avoided using the handrails or elevators, did not eat or drink after my husband, and used the sanitizers. I stayed mostly in my cabin or the balcony. I would go read in the yacht club on deck 10 sometimes since it was quiet and away from others so my husband could rest without me moving around.

One thing that I really wish they would change on the ships is the way the doors swing in the public restrooms. You push on the door to go in so you don't have to touch the handle. However, when you leave, you always have to twist the knob and pull. I go through the trouble of washing my hands then immediately have to touch something that someone who probably didn't wash her hands touched. GROSS! I carried a paper towel with me to open the door, but then had to find a garbage can to throw it away. Why don't they have bathroom doors that swing out? I'm surprised the cruise lines haven't noticed that yet.

I noticed on the CDC site that the Princess ship that had a breakout at the same time as Radiance lists the cause as norovirus. Radiance still shows investigation pending. I'm still curious to see how many illnesses were going on. I think many people were just sea sick because we experienced some very rough weather. Some others probably had norovirus since they were sick for only a day or two. However, I think there must have been some food poisoning, like salmonella or e. coli also going around since some people were sick for mulitple days like my husband.

The reason they call to check on you is to make sure you haven't violated the quarantine and left the cabin.

Why do they have to call every couple of hours? Don't they realize that people who are ill need rest? When I am sick I usually want to sleep until I feel better. If someone called and woke me up every two hours, I would be extremely cranky. I've been known to pick up the phone them immediately hang up when I'm sick and don't want to talk to anyone. If someone really wanted to violate the quarantine, they could just leave the cabin for a couple of hours. That's enough time to get something to eat or catch a show, then go back to the cabin before the next phone call. It doesn't seem like much of a preventative measure.

During 10 cruises we have never contracted Norovirus. We recently sailed on Splendour of the seas was the first ship in a long time that we have not had alcohol rub on entry, there was a sign on the entrance to Windjammer advising about hygiene though.

The problem with handles on the exit from toilets I overcome by using a hand towel to open, there always seems to be a rubbish bin conveniently placed so that I can discard it on my exit.

or very good at handwashing & not shaking hands with folks. We also try not to touch hand rails, carry a kleenex for door handles. But last May we both had pneumonia after a sicko flight home from the UK. A woman hacking at us the whole flight & I yelled for her to cover her face or go sit somewhere else. Then she starts heaving & that got all over me. The attendants were washing my clothes as I stood in the galley. Sold out flight, nowhere else to sit. Why this woman got on the flight?

Archived