chops

I've had some really good lamb chops and veal chops there. They also had the standard fare of steaks (filet's, strips, rib-eyes). The cuts are really thick, steaks juicy and full of flavor. The $20 / $25 pp. charge is well worth it and they do

cook them to your satisfaction. (Unlike the main dining room where you get what you get.)

Stretch

I went to RCI's site and did a search for a Chops menu. They did not have a menu but did have this message:

Dishes In Chops Grille are seasoned with our Royal Culinary CollectionsTM blend of spices. Meat dishes offer a choice of traditional béarnaise sauce, our famous peppercorn sauce, garlic-herb butter or Royal Caribbean steak sauce. A wide selection of Royal Culinary CollectionsTMmustard is also available.

Menu

Menus change daily and can vary from ship to ship. We also modify dishes seasonally to use the freshest ingredients available. Chops Grille proudly features Seattle's Best® Fresh Roasted Coffee Blends and Specialty Beverages, served at current bar menu prices.

Where You'll Find It

Chops Grille is featured on our Radiance-family ships, Mariner of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas.

Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Hours

Hours may vary according to the ship and itinerary, so be sure to check your Cruise Compass and Daily Planner.

Dinner: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

All guests over the age of 13 are welcome and reservations are recommended; please allow two hours for dining. To make a reservation, use the main menu screen on the TV in your stateroom or call the restaurant directly. Telephone numbers can be found in your stateroom. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD.

Costs

A nominal fee ranging from $20 - $25 USD applies per guest, including gratuities. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soft drinks are offered at current bar menu prices.

Also note that the message says that the $20 - 25 is the fee including gratuity. The entire sum is NOT given to your waitstaff. A few dollars are.This is one reason why we generally tip more. ($5 per person). Such excellent service deserves to be rewarded.

Also note that the message says that the $20 - 25 is the fee including gratuity. The entire sum is NOT given to your waitstaff. A few dollars are.This is one reason why we generally tip more. ($5 per person). Such excellent service deserves to be rewarded.

Where does the rest of it go???

I haven't been on my cruise (yet :) ) but found a chops menu at this site (for the explorer I think- I don't know if it changes from ship to ship):

http://www.qwikfyx.com/Cruises/Explorer2/

Just go to cruise information (on the toolbar on the left) and all the menus for that cruise come up, including Portafino's and Chops.

Cheers!

Where does the rest of it go???

The rest of the money goes to RCI. The food was pretty darn good - though I prefer the food at Portifinos. People who are expecting real American style Italian don't like Protifinos and prefer Chops.

Looking at RCI's own explanation of the charge, I see that the fee INCLUDES tip - the implication is that the rest of the modest fee goes to provide for the improved menu. Looking at all RCI is doing to improve revenue, I really would be surprised if even 1/4 of the $20 went to the service staff.

I went to RCI's site and did a search for a Chops menu.

Costs

A nominal fee ranging from $20 - $25 USD applies per guest, including gratuities. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soft drinks are offered at current bar menu prices.

I was toldback in OCt '04 when we ate at Portinfino's that the tip portion was only $1.50 of the $20....now if this is the truth or not, in order to get more of a tip, I don't know.....the head waiter in the one that told us....not our regular waiter

Paul

Annieeee: You can order as much of anything as you want. Sides are ordered individually and typically served family style. On both Radiance and Mariner, the food was fabulous (although Radiance gets "the nod" on better desserts--I know, who has room for dessert after that?). The crab cakes are delicious--my DH will tell you that I will order crab cakes anywhere I can. The shrimp cocktail was good. Other typical appetizers like various salads, soup, etc. are available. Sides are various types of potatoes (baked, garlic mashed, etc.), baked tomatoes, asparagus (don't know if this is year round), yummy sauted mushrooms, onion rings, some other vegetables (? can't remember--I'm an asparagus girl). I'm sure there are more sides, but you get the idea. Desserts I don't remember as much. On Radiance we had the most amazing brioche apple pudding with baked orange zest and ice cream. I ordered the same thing on Mariner and didn't finish it. It was really only so-so. I think there is cheesecake and the flourless chocolate torte. Don't remember what else.

It is well worth the price for both the food and the atmosphere.

Enjoy!

beachchick

Archived