Lookink for a good beach in Costa Maya

bamagirl1

Hi, I was just in Costa Maya last week and it was really pretty. We had a great day at a small "beach club" called Pez Quadro. The way it works is different restaurants/bars sort of run the strips of beach in front of their establishments. I went to Pez Quadro after seeing it recommended on Cruise Critic.

When you get off the ship, go to the port area and find the cabs (buses) that take you Mahaual (sp?) also called the Fishing Village. It's $3 (U.S.) per person to get there. They drop you off at the village, then just keep walking all the way to the end of the street where you will find Pez Quadro (the have the bar with rope swing chairs). Other venders will harass you to come to their beach, so be aware of that. I did notice that some of the other places had better food and drink deals, but I still liked Pez Quadro b/c it was quieter (being at the end of the street) and there wasn't any grass growing in the water. The beach was clean and nice, and you could rent chairs for $10 or just lie on the sand or sit at a table with shade. They had clean restrooms available across the street, and their servers were very nice and spoke pretty good English.

When you are ready to go home, they have a line of cabs waiting to take you home ($2 pp, U.S.). It was a really nice day.

We made reservations at the Maya Palms Resort. Another wise choice! If you want a beautiful secluded area without the crowds of people OR the beach vendors harassing you, this is it! They have a freshwater pool with umbrellas and chairs. We were the first ones to arrive so we claimed the large area under the shade of the palapa for the day. Another heavenly day! If you are looking for a place with crystal clear water for snorkeling, this is not the place. There is thick sea grass for about 30 yards out so we never even entered the water. But the resort itself is just beautiful and so peaceful! The service is great, too. Be sure to climb to the top of the pyramid for some excellent photos! You will need to take a cab to get there. In order to grab one, go through the terminal and go OUT THROUGH THE CHAIN LINK FENCE gate area. Keep walking until you see the yellow cabs on the corner. Do not use any of the transportation inside the terminal. Even though we told them we needed to go to Maya Palms, they kept trying to tell us that they would take us “someplace better”. My gut told me to keep walking, and it was a good thing we did.

When you arrive at Maya Palms, the manager, Pedro, will come out to greet you. Have him tell the taxi driver to come back at your designated time and that you will pay him upon return to the pier. Otherwise, there’s no guarantee that you will have a ride back since it is so far away from the pier. They don’t like to drive out there. The taxi drivers will act like they don’t speak English but they really do. As soon as he told us he didn’t speak English, he immediately asked my friend where we were from in very good English.

Hi, I was just in Costa Maya last week and it was really pretty. We had a great day at a small "beach club" called Pez Quadro. The way it works is different restaurants/bars sort of run the strips of beach in front of their establishments. I went to Pez Quadro after seeing it recommended on Cruise Critic.

When you get off the ship, go to the port area and find the cabs (buses) that take you Mahaual (sp?) also called the Fishing Village. It's $3 (U.S.) per person to get there. They drop you off at the village, then just keep walking all the way to the end of the street where you will find Pez Quadro (the have the bar with rope swing chairs). Other venders will harass you to come to their beach, so be aware of that. I did notice that some of the other places had better food and drink deals, but I still liked Pez Quadro b/c it was quieter (being at the end of the street) and there wasn't any grass growing in the water. The beach was clean and nice, and you could rent chairs for $10 or just lie on the sand or sit at a table with shade. They had clean restrooms available across the street, and their servers were very nice and spoke pretty good English.

When you are ready to go home, they have a line of cabs waiting to take you home ($2 pp, U.S.). It was a really nice day.

This is a really nice place to spend the day with the family. We were there two years ago with our daughter when she was 5 and we are going again this coming March.

Click on http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/CostaMayaBeach.htm to get information on their beach break party. Also, type in Pez Quadro into the search engine for this section of Cruise Critic and you will get a ton of information. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be here in Jan and we like to swim, snorkel, jet ski...etc. We really arent into ruins and stuff, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions. The pool at the peir looks kinda cool, but I wonder if it gets really full when the ship is there and we'd like to see other parts of the port too. Hows the shopping? ( wife asked that one ...lol ) Some of the excusruions sound kinda need...4 wheeler tour....catamaran snorkel tour...etc

Were open for suggestions...any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Archived