Legend for a first cruise?

Tamsha

First timers - thinking of cruising out of Tampa in Feb to the Western Caribbean on the Legend. My husband is not thrilled about the cruise thing - me and my daughter (13) are. What is your opinion on this ship for first timers and a negative nel of a husband?

I love Legend. Only been on her once for 4 nights in August (around Europe). Didnt know what to expect with her age. I have been on Disney Wonder, P & O and Princess and thought Legend was really lovely. Everything about her was brilliant from our staterooms to the food (apart from the queues in the Windjammer but food wonderful). She is a very pretty ship with lots of brass, glass and marble. I think the size is perfect to navigate for a first timers and for more seasoned cruisers. Go ahead and book. YOu wont be disappointed.Hollyanna;)

We haven't been on Legend, but, I have been thinking of doing that next. We have been on Voyager twice and a Carnival once. We like the Western cruise the best and the Carnival ship was in Cozumel until 11pm. Voyager is there only until like 5 or 6pm. It doesn't give you enough time to go to the beach for the day and have time to shop. Not to mention the ship looks awesome docked at night all lit up. Legend is in Coz the latest so we are looking into this ship. Tampa is also an easier area to go to rather than Miami. About your DH don't worry about it, mine didn't look forward to it at all, he's not a "lay in the sun type" has to be doing something. Well he had plenty to do and loved it, now he looks forward to the next one more than me.

Have a great trip and post a review when you get back and talk me into this ship :).

Karin

Legend was our first cruise back in '02. What can I say, it was that cruise that hooked us both on cruising. Since then we've sailed almost every class of ship RCI has and have come to prefer the Radiance or Voyager class to the Vision class but, Vision class ships like Legend still provide a wonderful cruising experience. Perhaps your husband will be hooked after sailing her as well.

I think what really hooked us on cruising was not just the beauty of the ship but, we were really interested in Alaska, the ports of call were wonderful but, most of all, the service onboard was outstanding. In the end, it's the service that can make or break a cruise for us. Great service = great cruise IMO.

First timers - thinking of cruising out of Tampa in Feb to the Western Caribbean on the Legend. My husband is not thrilled about the cruise thing - me and my daughter (13) are. What is your opinion on this ship for first timers and a negative nel of a husband?

As the legend cheerleader..I must reply. She is a wonderful ship for a first cruise..or any cruise. imo. My family Just returned last month.. from our second 14 day med cruise.. sailing out of southampton. She was in pristine condition..and just fantastic. Even better than last year. An opinion shared by many Legend fans..and quite a few repeat cruisers like ourselves. We are actually booked for Aug 2007..for our 3x ..as she is sailing on a wonderful itinerary Through Italy and Croatia.

There are a quite a few topics on Legend...on cruise critic..Some very recent threads..where you will get lots and lots of varied information. Just click on my signature at the top next to the photo of my puppy...and my profile will come up. click on all the posts I have been involved with..which are mainly to do with Legend. Loads of threads will appear.. with not only mine..but many other posters views on the ship. Let me know if you have any problems accessing this info.....or.. if you have any questions. I will be glad to answer. Regards, Carol

Just a brief addition to the above post.. regarding the negative husband! I had missed that point. May I say that our first cruise last year on Legend..was to be a "One Off"..A Very special treat for ME! AS I had cruised nearly 30 years before...in Florida...and had never expected another opportunity to sail. Then Legend appeared advertised in the uK. It was extremely special in that RC is from Miami..my old home...and I knew the company well. so my husband went to great lengths to get me a cruise on her..with no interest in cruising himself. We were very worried for the cost. However..once onboard last year....it was "HE" who insisted we don't wait..and book with the C & A ambassador for this years' cruise. "HE" had the best time of his life...the ONLY TIME I have Seen him So Relaxed!! He is also over the moon.. and determinded..that we will make the 2007 cruise as well. the fact is....Until you have a cruise..it is impossible to appreciate just how special they are. How much is on offer..and how well you are treated. Unless you are used to a 5* lifestyle...it is a fantastic experience. Certainly Another world for us! Happy Sailing! Carol

Carol, Exactly, you have said it all:) :cool:

Hi 6 months...Thanks so much for your support..it is Always great to hear from you. Your signature always reminds me...that one day I hope we will also share some time in florida...or maybe retire there. If the kids ever get settled. I do still have family in Hollywood...and other states.. We Hope to get back to see them in the next year or two. my nephew is now in property development. So there might be something he can sort for us...you never know. Can I ask... How do you find life in Florida... in particuliar the cost of living? Is it still cheaper than the UK? cheers for now...Regards, Carol

Hi 6 months...Thanks so much for your support..it is Always great to hear from you. Your signature always reminds me...that one day I hope we will also share some time in florida...or maybe retire there. If the kids ever get settled. I do still have family in Hollywood...and other states.. We Hope to get back to see them in the next year or two. my nephew is now in property development. So there might be something he can sort for us...you never know. Can I ask... How do you find life in Florida... in particuliar the cost of living? Is it still cheaper than the UK? cheers for now...Regards, Carol

Hi Carol, We find the way of life in Florida absolutely fantastic, warmth and sunshine after all the summer months humidity has gone. Also so relaxed and laid back(unless we get dragged to Disney when family/friends visit:D ) We have some great people both from the US and the UK living in our sub-division and we have a much more active social life whilst over there due I suppose to the fact we can be sitting out by the pool drinking and chatting getting on for midnight whereas you could never really do that in the UK, although in saying that we still enjoy being back for a few summer months in the UK.

As for costs, although they have risen quite considerably in the last couple of years it is still cheaper to live in Florida, in the UK we may eat out once a week whereas we eat out or BBQ 4/5 times a week over there.

Overall the cost of running a 4x4 is cheaper taking into consideration gas/tag/insurance and the actual price of the vehicle.

House insurance/property taxes are more though, but we whilst our health allows us we will continue to enjoy the best of both countries.

24 days before we set sail on the Legend bound for Tampa:)

Regards

John & Margaret

Hi Carol, We find the way of life in Florida absolutely fantastic, warmth and sunshine after all the summer months humidity has gone. Also so relaxed and laid back(unless we get dragged to Disney when family/friends visit:D ) We have some great people both from the US and the UK living in our sub-division and we have a much more active social life whilst over there due I suppose to the fact we can be sitting out by the pool drinking and chatting getting on for midnight whereas you could never really do that in the UK, although in saying that we still enjoy being back for a few summer months in the UK.

As for costs, although they have risen quite considerably in the last couple of years it is still cheaper to live in Florida, in the UK we may eat out once a week whereas we eat out or BBQ 4/5 times a week over there.

Overall the cost of running a 4x4 is cheaper taking into consideration gas/tag/insurance and the actual price of the vehicle.

House insurance/property taxes are more though, but we whilst our health allows us we will continue to enjoy the best of both countries.

24 days before we set sail on the Legend bound for Tampa:)

Regards

John & Margaret

Hi John and Margaret..Thank you so much for all the info on Florida. Great to hear that life there is fantastic... and costs are still reasonable. It all sounds truly wonderful. Our social life in the UK is virtually non existant. Danny is a high school teacher. Totally stressed out. He will love the fact that 4x4's are cheaper to buy.. to tax and to run..in Florida. As we finally bought a used Pajero just last year. It was in immaculate condition..and We are so proud of it..as Danny has always wanted a 4 x4. He just loves that car. I know how cheap the gas prices are. It Just amazes us...that my sister complained when it got to $2 a gallon! We must be about $7 or more.

It has been 6 years since I was back home for a visit..but it was sadly for the passing of my mother..not a holiday. I did notice a very big increase in food costs at the local Publix supermarket.. and at our favourite K Mart. . It seemed we had improved with choices over the years here in the UK. And our prices had come down just a bit. In the 80's when I visited forida..I brought so many household goods..clothing and linens back home..as we had so little choice and things were so expensive. Thanks to Ikea!! and Argos! lol We have better choices and lower prices these days. Though the Southeast...is much more expensive than central and Northern Florida. Plus you have many more choices of malls..and designer outlets Orlando way.. Offering lots of bargains.

MY parents spent half their retirement years with us here in the UK.. Now with my husband nearing retirement age himself..We would like the chance to do the same. To go over and look all around the state..and find a place that is reasonable to live. We still have twins age 21 living at home with us to consider.. They actually would like to live in Florida themselves..but I don't know how difficult that would be.Or what the laws are on entry. we have a son as well..and the most wonderful little grandaughter.. so Living there Part time would probably be the Best solution. Provided we could afford to downsize here... and relocate there as well.

I saw recently on a website... some houses being built in a new development in an area called Apollo beach. Have you ever heard of it? The prices were quite low...houses were lovely..and the facilities sounded very good.We also thought about manufactured houses..My sister lives in one in Zolfo Springs. She has a 38ft motorhome..and a people carrier they tow.that she and her husband travel around the country throughout the Hot summer months...returning to florida for the winter. They have been doing this for nearly 20 years...touring all of the US...Canada...and Alaska.. what a wonderful life. It is only the hurricanes that can cause a risk. she has had some damage in the past..to her little house..but not anything major. she has been quite lucky. As others she knows have suffered a lot.

Anyway...Margaret and John...I will be counting down with you..to your Legend cruise. I hope you have good weather for the crossing. It certainly has been wonderful this month..Lots of sunshine here in Derby. I think you will find the new beds on Legend a great improvement...and very comfortable. The entire ship in general..just seemed to sparkle. The crew were just the best. They Really couldn't be kinder. Here's wishing you calm seas... sunny skies...and Happy Sailing! Keep in touch .Regards, Carol

Archived