Duty Free alcohol on the Star

kezza

Just wondering if it's 1 2ltr bottle of say Baileys for $40 or is 2 1Ltr bottles for $40. Just been reading the Star Daileys Trevor posted and got a little confused:o

Thanks Kerri

It would probably be two 1 litre bottles.

If you are going to Vila - hold off on buying duty free alchol til you get there, prices are usually a bit better and you get all the 'regular' stuff.

It's definitely 2x1L bottles. In Vila, I was able to pick up more than 2L for under $40, so wait until you get there. Go to Fung Kuei, last shop on the left of the main street (heading away from the ship). Just for those new ones that don't already know. :D

They have stopped us from enjoying duty free cabin parties which used to be a highlite of a cruise as we could become a danger to other cruisers???(our alcohol must be more potent than thiers)They even stopped the grey army of cruisersfrom beer quoits(the only deck activity that a lot were able to participate in & beat the young ones at)as this activity encouraged them to binge drink and becom a danger to any females trying to find thier cabins after the niteclub closed(if they were lucky enough to win a can).

Sorry Aussiedisneyfan & Qld cruiser.Instead of P&O improving thier cruises they seem intent to cut back ship activities(since the Carnival conglomerate took control) and are down to three cruise staff (usually six to eight).I would not be surprised if the Captains party will be the next to go.

Not happy Jan, NO BEER QUOITES. I spent ages yesterday reading Trevors dailies to see if and when beer quoites was on..... Good grief, they're taking away all the good stuff. We found with beer quoites, it's not the young ones so much as the older ones playing the game. (I wonder if they play beer quoites on the QE2?).

They now call Beer Quoits ( Deck Quoits ) - I won playing Deck Quoits and my prize was a P&O plastic water bottle ( they called it a Sports Bottle ) and i really felt like a Beer! - the other thing that upset me about no more beer quoits was that now it is deck quoits - They allow kids to play? - Dont the kids have enough activities of their own - dont get me wrong i like kids but on the Star they treat the Kids as Adults and the Adults as kids! - My brother inlaw beat one of the kids playing deck quoits and the kid would not stop crying - this made my brother inlaw feel really bad and the kid stood with his mother screaming and crying so much that when the brother inlaw had to play against the crying kids older brother he just let him win ( did not want both kids crying lol) - I think P&O have gone too far and have turned the Fun Ships into Boring Ships - They even put really boring Cruise Directors on the Star to bore you that much that you go to sleep instead of drinking - I still had a lot of fun on the Star - but i found you had to make your own fun as the crew were not going out of their way to make things fun? ( maybe with 500 cameras on them all the time they are trying to behave and not get in trouble?)

Peter & Cheryl

They now call Beer Quoits ( Deck Quoits ) - I won playing Deck Quoits and my prize was a P&O plastic water bottle ( they called it a Sports Bottle ) and i really felt like a Beer! - the other thing that upset me about no more beer quoits was that now it is deck quoits - They allow kids to play? - Dont the kids have enough activities of their own - dont get me wrong i like kids but on the Star they treat the Kids as Adults and the Adults as kids! -

Peter & Cheryl

I suppose the only thing we can do is keep letting them know what changes we don't like on the feedback form at the end of the cruise and post cruises letters. Not that I think that will have any effect :(

As much as I feel sorry for Mrs Brimble and her family it seems a shame that because of one woman deciding to drink with some very shady, undesireable men they have had to cut out so many activities that people enjoyed i.e. duty free drinks in the cabin, beer quoits, pyjama party to name a few.:confused:

As much as I feel sorry for Mrs Brimble and her family it seems a shame that because of one woman deciding to drink with some very shady, undesireable men they have had to cut out so many activities that people enjoyed i.e. duty free drinks in the cabin, beer quoits, pyjama party to name a few.:confused:

that is just how i feel about the whole thing. I am all for the improved security, but people pay all of this money to have FUN on a cruise

At point will they let us take responsibility for ourselves?? I'm also for the security but instead of giving 10 beers to the same guy who keeps getting the quoits onto the little pole, limit it to say 2, then he has to sit out and give someone else a shot. (this happened on our cruise in March. this guy would take away with him each time at backpack full of beer!!! Needless to say we didn't think much of him and if he missed everyone yelled "YES".)

PJ night, well we're all adults and you don't have to participate if you don't want (hubby and I always did and had a ball) and I must say I have never seen any untoward innappropriate behaviour.

Kerri

I agree with your comments. We should be responsbile ourselver. Whilst I think it is a terrible thing that happened to Diane they shouldn't become over zealous and spoil everyone's holiday because of it. It is disgraceful that they are only implementing all the features 4 years after the fact and it seems to me only because of all the media coverage.

I cannot possibly see how that beer quoits is encouraging unruly behaviour. The kids used to have their own version of this in kids club and I reckon they should leave it at that or have an adult/kids prize. Mind you, I want one of those drink bottles, my last one broke!

Just came off Star- Down to 3 cruise staff & now starting to give plated medals & ribbon for prizes.Don,t like Ausiedisneyfan,s chances of getting another drink bottle.I can remember on Sky & Sun having to pick between activities & running to next activity to squeeze them all in.Now it is do we do origami or t-shirt painting or cooking demo,s.No more bridge or engine room visits & no more passenger participation nites _fright nite-western nite.Unless yr a cashed up young single it gets pretty boring.

We did a visit to the bridge on Sun in April.

Karen

You were lucky Karen - there was information put out on our cruise on Star in March that there wouldn't be bridge tours, even by request.

We can thank Mr Bin-Laden for the loss of that treat I guess.

are you sure about the deck quoits as my last cruise in feb they gave lite beer away anyway i would rather drink water i used to give mine away, you may as well buy your booze on ship price differnce is only a couple of dollars whatever you do dont buy atdowntown duty free in australia as thier prices are retail less gst.

are you sure about the deck quoits as my last cruise in feb they gave lite beer away anyway i would rather drink water i used to give mine away, you may as well buy your booze on ship price differnce is only a couple of dollars whatever you do dont buy atdowntown duty free in australia as thier prices are retail less gst.

Got off the Star on Saturday - definitely no Beer Quoits!:(

Just wondering if it's 1 2ltr bottle of say Baileys for $40 or is 2 1Ltr bottles for $40. Just been reading the Star Daileys Trevor posted and got a little confused:o

Thanks Kerri

We returned off the Star on Sat. On board they sell 1 ltr bottle of Baileys for $34.95. However, on about day 2 or 3, they advertised major discounts on some brands, including our favourite Jack Daniels, for $20 per litre bottle. Hubby said we'd never get better than that anywhere, & so we bought two bottles.....ah yes, same bottle was $18 at Fung Kuei in Vila! The ship will match any price as long as you bring a flyer back from the other retailer....but beware, if you hold out, in all probability the ship won't have any left in stock anyway:rolleyes:

Cheers

Nerissa I also thought I couldn't do better than on the ship with their two bottles of Bacardi for $30 deal so I grabbed a couple on the second day of the cruise but sure enough Bacardi was $13 a bottle in Fung Kuei. Baileys was $14 a bottle, Bundaberg Rum $16 at Fung Kuei. Hold out until then if you can guys.

Archived