First Time Cruising Questions

Argyle

The wife and I are first timers to this cruising thing and we are both very excited. I have a couple of questions and if ANYONE has any answers, suggestions or ideas, PLEASE let me know. Well, here goes....

1) I got the military discount (18 years of service) and booked really early (March 2006 for 07 January 2007 cruise out of Galveston). What are the chances of an upgrade to a Balcony and how should I keep an eye out for the possibilites? I booked an Oceanview directly with Carnival.

2) Is it better to park at the Terminal or at a hotel with free parking / shuttle?

As I come up with more questions (normally while laying in bed), I will post them. Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you give!!!!:)

Dave

Conquest 01/07/2007 (and hopefully a lot more!)

You are going to LOVE cruising! Ok, let's see if we can help with those questions...

1. If you have picked out a cabin and have a number assigned, you won't be upgraded, (unless of course there is a small miracle), if you have a guaranteed cabin, there is a chance, but I wouldn't count on it, but if it happents it will be a pleasant surprise. You can always check on your rate. If Carnival lowers the price, you get the savings, but you have to ask, it does not automatically happen. You can call for pricing weekly if you wish.

2. We have always parked at the terminal. Safe parking and nice to be able to get to your car quickly as you make your way home. For the most part, they are reasonably priced. After the price of the cruise, does it really matter? LOL

Hope this helps...

Happy Cruising!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the beach and left our car there. The driver that took us too the terminal gave me his card and said call him when we got off and hed be there to get us. Well I did and he said hed be right there. Twenty minutes later I called him and he said he was tied up in traffic and hed be right there. Fifteen minutes later I called him and he said he was filled up and that he would send for us another van. Fifteen more minutes I called again and he told me it would be 20 minutes and that if I wanted to get back quicker I could call a cab. Well thats what we did, paid 16 bucks for the cab and got back to the hotel. I would never leave my car again at a hotel. I'm sure there are many success stories out there but personally I wouldnt. Fortunaley for our next cruise we are flying in and the car wont be a factor. Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the addiction (I mean world) of cruising!

If you booked a OV (outside with a window) GTY (guarantee) then generally the best that will happen is that you go from the lowest floor to the highest floor...but it will stay within the OV rooms.

There are the rare miracles where they go "outside" the initial GTY from an OV to a Balcony.....but I really would not bank on it.

Call or email your PVP and ask him/her very nicely to "keep on eye" on your booking for price reductions. Be sure to ask that again, before the final payment.

From what I am hearing...the Conquest is a very popular ship and their bookings are doing well in Galveston. Of course, the better the bookings, the less of a chance that the price will do go...or the upgrades will appear.

If you selected your cabin specifically, Room # *&^% then a vasy majority of the time, that is the room you will receive. If there is a dramatic price decrease prior to your final payment, have a heart to heart with your PVP.

But like I said earlier....the Conquest seems to be very popular!

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Archived