Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Radio

"LIVE" from the Grandeur 09/29/06 9NT Western

Thanks, Radio! Your pictures were a nice reminder of my trip. It almost felt like the real thing....well, kind of....:) We were out sailing off of Annapolis yesterday afternoon and stayed out til after 6:00 so we could see the Grandeur go under the Bay Bridge once again. She always looks so pretty! It got kind of exciting because a northbound freighter passed under at the same time!!! Yikes! Well, welcome back to reality for the time being. Lucky you, I see you have more cruises planned. I'm just wishing at this point...sigh....

Thanks for all the info, Radio! And I agree with TPKeller about the pic! BTW, is there a Mrs. Radio? If not, my sister is single :D

hahaha.... yes there is a Mrs Radio....she got a kick out your comments :D

The photo suggested that I might have been very happy to be on the bridge.... I was very very happy ! !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Radio:

Welcome Home!!

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and great information from your cruise.

Thought about you yesterday as we were going up 95 on our way to the Renaissance Festival. There on our left was the beautiful Grandeur in all her glory. It was a nice site to see, in person, after the last 9 days of your "virtual" tour.

I have one small question -- you said to take the laptop. How much is the daily rate to be able to go online.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the nice comments....

The rates are :

$25 / 60 min

$35 / 90 min

$50 / 150 min

Aircard Rental $10 /Day or $50 /Voyage

Damage Insurance $2/ day

I have lots more pics to post... Compass's to Post...and My Grandeur Movie to finish... It will take a few days though.

Radio

;) ;)

Belle2002, please check-in with the Roll Call thread for the repo. We need more Texans.

Thanks so much for all the great pics, and info, makes me want to buy a new camera, on our next cruise !!!!, Thanks Jessie:)

Do you have any special tips just for the GRANDEUR ?

Thanks so much for all the great pics, and info, makes me want to buy a new camera, on our next cruise !!!!, Thanks Jessie:)

Do you have any special tips just for the GRANDEUR ?

The best place to relax is the Viking Crown Lounge...or Promenade Deck...

Thanks for the nice comments...

Radio

;) ;)

Viking Crown Lounge

image.jpg

Promenade Deck

image.jpg

Thanks for the great review- looking forward to heading out very shortly on GOS on same itinerary. Was dinner in Miami open seating- and until what time? Was that also the Crown & Anchor cocktail party (kind of odd that not on formal night?). Thanks for the listing of dress for each night. Smart Casual- blazers or no blazers..

thanks!

Belle2002, please check-in with the Roll Call thread for the repo. We need more Texans.

Already checked in for the roll call. We booked this cruise back in June, 2005, one of the first ones to sign on for the MM. Belle

Radio,

Looking at your maps and such, I wondered if you'd tell us what kind of GPS unit and software that you're using? I know that Theron could probably pipe up here as well looking at his maps. If you think it'd be better as a topic by itself, that's do-able as well. I've looked at another thread concerning GPS and even geocahching while cruising, but didn't really get a good feel for the equipment. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the nice comments....

The rates are :

$25 / 60 min

$35 / 90 min

$50 / 150 min

Aircard Rental $10 /Day or $50 /Voyage

Damage Insurance $2/ day

I have lots more pics to post... Compass's to Post...and My Grandeur Movie to finish... It will take a few days though.

Radio

;) ;)

Do you need the Aircard Rental plus the per minute cost? Also, what is the Damage Insurance?

I also have a lot of interest in GPS onboard.

I noticed from one of Radios pics that he is using the same USB GPS and software that I use. (Delorme Street Atlas USA or Topo USA w/ Earthmate GPS) http://www.delorme.com

I have the Blue Tooth Delorme GPS as well. I think this would be the ticket on a cruise. I plan to use velcro tape to mount the GPS on my JS balcony. The short distance to the inside of my JS should provide excellent reception on my laptop without having to be out on the balcony all the time. The Delorme software is good but not much detail out at sea + at caribbean islands. I have much bettor marine software for that. (http://www.fugawi.com)

Hope this helps

I also have a lot of interest in GPS onboard.

I noticed from one of Radios pics that he is using the same USB GPS and software that I use. (Delorme Street Atlas USA or Topo USA w/ Earthmate GPS) www.delorme.com

I have the Blue Tooth Delorme GPS as well. I think this would be the ticket on a cruise. I plan to use velcro tape to mount the GPS on my JS balcony. The short distance to the inside of my JS should provide excellent reception on my laptop without having to be out on the balcony all the time. The Delorme software is good but not much detail out at sea + at caribbean islands. I have much bettor marine software for that. (www.fugawi.com)

Hope this helps

I used a 25' ext usb cable to connect my laptop to my gps.... How much is the software? (Fugawi)

Radio

Radio,

Looking at your maps and such, I wondered if you'd tell us what kind of GPS unit and software that you're using? I know that Theron could probably pipe up here as well looking at his maps. If you think it'd be better as a topic by itself, that's do-able as well. I've looked at another thread concerning GPS and even geocahching while cruising, but didn't really get a good feel for the equipment. Thanks for any help.

The maps page I have set up is all done with Google. I only used my GPS (on the maps with tracks) to record the track of the ship, and most any GPS can do that. I use a Garmin GPS V, which is several years old. There is a new chipset (this is the guts of the GPS receiver, kind of similar to a processor for a computer) that appears to be much better at tuning in the signals, so if you are shopping, I would recommend doing a little more research to make sure you get that. I haven't done enough research to speak intelligently (ha! or even un-intelligently!) about it.

What I have done in the past is literally prop the GPS unit up against the window with one of the beach towels... How high tech is that? :)

I also use DeLorme Street Atlas, and with a third party program called G7toWin, you can move the points between the GPS unit and Street Atlas, which lets you print maps with your tracks on them. (Oh, it's important to say that I typically do not let Street Atlas record the data straight from the GPS, which is probably what Radio was doing. I find it much easier to just keep the little unit by the window rather than run cables back to the laptop. I download the data at regular intervals, then start over, then paste it all together at a later time.)

One of the best sources of GPS information is found here: http://www.gpsinformation.org/ There is a ton of data there, it may be a little overwhelming when you first look, but it's a good place to start.

Theron

Radio,

Curious, and please forgive me if this was asked. Anyways, how do you attach your pictures? Do you upload them to a photo hosting site, and then post the link on here?

Hi Radio,

I just have to say that this was the most awesome "live from the" thread ever!!!! I felt like I was on the cruise. Thank you so much!!

I also clicked on your links at the bottom. I finally found absolutely fantastic photos of the Mariner of the Seas to show my family members. They are going on their first cruise ever (my second) on the Mariner next May, and I was having difficulty finding really good photos. You also had the junior Compasses shown too!!!

I just can't thank you enough for all the photos and commentary from this cruise and the great photos of your other cruises. I'm looking forward to your next "live" cruise :) :)

Jim

Radio,

Curious, and please forgive me if this was asked. Anyways, how do you attach your pictures? Do you upload them to a photo hosting site, and then post the link on here?

The posting process is not hard. You just follow these few steps. You will need to have cruise Critic window open and your web pictures window open.

• Post you photos on a Web Site (like clubphoto.com)
  • Click on your photo to enlarge (click on the thumbnail image)
  • Right Click and view properties.
  • Right click on the properties and Copy the properties (this will copy the url where your photo is)
  • Switch to Cruise critic and click "Post Reply"
  • There is a small icon on the tool bar (in the POST REPLY box the icon looks like a landscape) Click on this icon.
  • A box will show up where wou can paste the url from your photo.(You have already copied this in step4...now right click and paste it in the box)
  • Add your comments , and press "SUBMIT"

It seems like alot to do... but the key is always have both windows open whle you are posting (Cruise Critic and your Photo Page)

While on a cruise, I post all images to my photo page, and only then can i begin Posting.

I usually post 4-5 pics (5 is the maximum) per post while cruising, and it takes about 4-5 min to submit a posting. Less time would be needed for a single photo.

I hope I have been clear enough....

Radio

;) ;)

Viking Crown Lounge (Meet and Mingle Location)

image.jpg

Hi radio. Another thread mentioned that one ship had a mystery dinner theatre. Did GOS offer this? Thanks in advance.

Hi radio. Another thread mentioned that one ship had a mystery dinner theatre. Did GOS offer this? Thanks in advance.

No Dinner Theater on Grandeur...They did have a Dinner Theater on the Explorer of the Seas...in Portofino's while I was there in August.

Radio

No Dinner Theater on Grandeur...They did have a Dinner Theater on the Explorer of the Seas...in Portofino's while I was there in August.

Radio

Mark, once again thanks for the live updates. So when can we expect the next live update? What ship?:)

Mark, once again thanks for the live updates. So when can we expect the next live update? What ship?:)

hmmm...not sure what ship yet, but it should be in January 07....

Maybe, an MSC, Celebrity, or possibly RCI Navigator or Mariner

Radio

;) ;)

hmmm...not sure what ship yet, but it should be in January 07....

Maybe, an MSC, Celebrity, or possibly RCI Navigator or Mariner

Radio

;) ;)

I would be interested in your thoughts on MSC. Their new builds are very nice looking ships. They seem to know what real Italian is unlike Costa that builds a Carnival ship and sticks a yellow funnel on it with Carnival interiors.:eek: :)

Hi Radio,

Thank you so much for posting your "Live" cruise updates. This is actually your third cruise that I've followed online every single day. I literally couldn't wait to get home from work just so I could logon and read your daily updates. They are always so informative and the pics that you post are amazing. I look forward to your next cruise in January. Thank you agian.

Couple of questions for you....I've been on several RCCL cruises, and my next one will be a 9-night on Grandeur next July going to Canada/New England. This will be my second time on Grandeur. Like you, I also have a portable GPS unit that I like to bring on cruises. Unfortunately mine is not color, and it never seems to have a large amount of detail on the screen. I was blown away with the incredible details that your GPS provided you. Is there software out there that I can pre-load onto the GPS unit that will give me more detail. I have a Garmin GPSMap 76s. I am certainly in the very beginner level of learning how to use these things. I can plugin Waypoints for a calculation of time and distance to the next destination, but that's about it.

Second question is regarding radio frequencies that Grandeur uses. I have also brought my portable scanner on the last couple of cruises, and I think I've been able to find the channel(s) that the bridge uses, but I'm wondering if you know for sure what channels are used to communicate both within the Grandeur itself, and how the ship communicates with the Pilot boat, Coast Guard, etc. Again, I'm a novice when it comes to scanning so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

One last question; I just turned Diamond after my last cruise. On Grandeur, do Diamond members get anything additional that Platinum don't get? I'm bummed that there's no concierge lounge, and I even contacted RCCL about some type of other compensation in place of the concierge service, but they said it's just offered on some ships. I'm very jealous that you got a bridge tour. I would kill for a tour of the bridge on any of the ships, but I just don't know how to get yourself invited to the bridge without being Diamond Plus. Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Thanks.:)