Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Radio

"LIVE" from the Grandeur 09/29/06 9NT Western

Couple of questions for you....I've been on several RCCL cruises, and my next one will be a 9-night on Grandeur next July going to Canada/New England. This will be my second time on Grandeur. Like you, I also have a portable GPS unit that I like to bring on cruises. Unfortunately mine is not color, and it never seems to have a large amount of detail on the screen. I was blown away with the incredible details that your GPS provided you. Is there software out there that I can pre-load onto the GPS unit that will give me more detail. I have a Garmin GPSMap 76s. I am certainly in the very beginner level of learning how to use these things. I can plugin Waypoints for a calculation of time and distance to the next destination, but that's about it.

Hi Kevin,

Suggest you back up and read posts 261, 264, 265 and 266. Some of your GPS questions are answered. :)

Theron

Hi Radio,

Second question is regarding radio frequencies that Grandeur uses. I have also brought my portable scanner on the last couple of cruises, and I think I've been able to find the channel(s) that the bridge uses, but I'm wondering if you know for sure what channels are used to communicate both within the Grandeur itself, and how the ship communicates with the Pilot boat, Coast Guard, etc. Again, I'm a novice when it comes to scanning so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

One last question; I just turned Diamond after my last cruise. On Grandeur, do Diamond members get anything additional that Platinum don't get? I'm bummed that there's no concierge lounge, and I even contacted RCCL about some type of other compensation in place of the concierge service, but they said it's just offered on some ships. I'm very jealous that you got a bridge tour. I would kill for a tour of the bridge on any of the ships, but I just don't know how to get yourself invited to the bridge without being Diamond Plus. Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There are radio Frequency books that can be purchased at radio Shack which will give you the Frequencies of RCI Ships.....

Here are some that are used by many cruise ships...(Not Specific to Grandeur), and should get you started...

UHF System

This system is used by the crew for ship operations.

Ch.1 457.5250 / 467.7500

Ch.2 457.5500 / 467.7750

Ch.3 457.5750 / 467.8000

Ch.4 457.6000 / 467.8250

VHF System

This system is used for ship to port / ship to ship communications.

156.60 Port Operations

156.725 Ship to ship

156.80 Calling channel

156.650 Pilot Boats / Pilots aboard Cruise Ships

You should be able to scan the UHF channels between 400.00 and 500.00 for the Ship Specific channels.

As for a Bridge Tour... Sometimes a nicely written letter to dine with the Captain can go a long way...:rolleyes:

Radio

;) ;)

Hello everyone... I just finished my NEW Grandeur Video of my recent 9 Nt Grandeur of the Seas Cruise. You can find it

It is a large file...so be patient. It will also help if you have stereo speakers attached to your PC..There is a nice soundtrack (courtesy of Bob James and Earl Klugh)

I hope you enjoy it...

Daily Compasses will be loaded soon....

Radio

;) ;)

Not sure how I missed this one, but just got caught up. Fastest "cruise" I've ever been on. At least I got an early view of the video.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Hey Radio.....

thanks for the great "cruise".

I was toying with changing Grandeur to a 7 night caribbean on maybe Liberty, BUT your report was so helpful (it it too early for me to think of a better term!) that I think I want to try her.

The photos are GORGEOUS...seems like you enjoy the early hours on ships too! No offense to anyone, but I like to take pictures with a monimum of people!! (haha!)

And Baltimore is only a couple hours from home.....plus I get to go to G&M for crabcakes (ok, maybe the letters are something else, but it's over by the airport!)

Ah...decisions decisions.......I could change Explorer, but that is from HOME...3 cruises in one year?????

Can't wait to look at the rest of your photos and the movie but alas, I have to get ready to go to work.

Thanks again for sharing your trips with us......

Truly enjoyed the video - your best to date! As our own turn on this cruise approaches, the anticipation is building, and your reports, pics and this video are major contributors! Thanks for your fine use of all these electronic marvels of our age.

Fantastic video as usual, and the music also. Still a few months away before our Grandeur cruise but watching this makes it seem sooner. Thanks Radio!!

Hello everyone.... I have finally posted my Grandeur 9Nt Caribbean Compasses.... Sorry it took so long.

You can find then HERE

Many of you will be sailing Grandeur soon...

I hope you find them useful.

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks Radio! this is the weekend we pack as we leave this Friday on the same cruise. Pictures and video ROCK. can't wait now......

Hard to believe I'm saying this, but the next sailing is the one I am on! Finally!

Check out our M&M thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=285926

Theron

Tuckerfolk;

We have a good group on the thread Theron mentions. come on over and check it out. Be sure to sign up for the Meet and Mingle group as well!

We'll see you on the 27th !!!!!!

Whoooo Hoooooo

Thanks Radio for all the pictures -- your video is fantastic. You are definitely a great asset to this site. Keep up the good work.

Can't wait for our cruise next year.

Thanks Radio for all the pictures -- your video is fantastic. You are definitely a great asset to this site. Keep up the good work.

Can't wait for our cruise next year.

Thanks for the nice comments...I may be sailing on that date as well....:cool:

Radio

Hey Radio -- that would be great if you decide on the 5/18 cruise. If you decide on that one, be sure to drop in on our thread "Grandeur -- 5/18/07 -- Getting Excited Early". We need more people!!! :D

Hope to see you there.

Yes you are correct...It is cosmetic damage only. The original dent was 45' long, and the pucture went through the ship in a crew cabin ( No One was injured), but there was considerable damage.

Radio

;) ;)

Talking about the damage to the Grandeur...I can't believe it hasn't been patched up a bit more. My kids and I were on the ship when it hit the pier in Costa Maya in April, 2005. Our cruise was extended for two extra days while they fixed the hole.

Glad to see captain admaker is back on the ship. He's been the Captain the past two times I've sailed with her. Hopefully he'll still be there when we do the repositioning cruise at the end of November.

I've been thinking about bringing my laptop onboard. Do I understand that the wifi is $2.50 per minute or was that roaming on the cell?

It's early...I may have missed the actual post where the prices are listed.

Thanks!

Talking about the damage to the Grandeur...I can't believe it hasn't been patched up a bit more. My kids and I were on the ship when it hit the pier in Costa Maya in April, 2005. Our cruise was extended for two extra days while they fixed the hole.

Glad to see captain admaker is back on the ship. He's been the Captain the past two times I've sailed with her. Hopefully he'll still be there when we do the repositioning cruise at the end of November.

I've been thinking about bringing my laptop onboard. Do I understand that the wifi is $2.50 per minute or was that roaming on the cell?

It's early...I may have missed the actual post where the prices are listed.

Thanks!

The WiFi prices are not bad...much better than on Celebrity or MSC cruises. The speed will be very fast with Wi Fi...

The rates are :

$25 / 60 min

$35 / 90 min

$50 / 150 min

Aircard Rental $10 /Day or $50 /Voyage

Damage Insurance $2/ day

I also used my VZW phone to coneect with my laptop. That worked very well (While in US ports only)

Have a GREAT Cruise !! Dont forget to do a "LIVE" post ! !

Radio

Radio,

Thanks for the pix of the Compass - great memories. If you decide to go on the Grandeur on 10/5 we'll see you there. I especially liked the pictures on the bridge. I won't be D+ for a few cruises yet :p so that's the next best thing to the tour.

Try here for a more accurate report of Cruise Ship Frequencies.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ecps92/cruise_ships.htm

There are radio Frequency books that can be purchased at radio Shack which will give you the Frequencies of RCI Ships.....

Here are some that are used by many cruise ships...(Not Specific to Grandeur), and should get you started...

UHF System

This system is used by the crew for ship operations.

Ch.1 457.5250 / 467.7500

Ch.2 457.5500 / 467.7750

Ch.3 457.5750 / 467.8000

Ch.4 457.6000 / 467.8250

VHF System

This system is used for ship to port / ship to ship communications.

156.60 Port Operations

156.725 Ship to ship

156.80 Calling channel

156.650 Pilot Boats / Pilots aboard Cruise Ships

You should be able to scan the UHF channels between 400.00 and 500.00 for the Ship Specific channels.

As for a Bridge Tour... Sometimes a nicely written letter to dine with the Captain can go a long way...:rolleyes:

Radio

;) ;)

Updates always appreciated.

Going on the Radiance of the Seas in January and have discovered there will be 14 ships in port on the same day, that have never been reported.

5 that need to be updated since 2004 and 2 that have not been updated since 2005

Hi Radio,

Great video.

I'll be on the Grandeur next October, can't wait!!

kevincruiser here is a link to a site for cruise ship frequencies

http://home.earthlink.net/~ecps92/cruise_ships.htm

I'll be adding anything I discover for the Explorer at the end of this month.