Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Radio

"LIVE" from the Grandeur 09/29/06 9NT Western

We felt the quality of food in the dining room really dropped off on nights 3 & 4 as well as on night 8. Coming from someone who usually eats steak every night I was left with little choice but to order rigatoni on night 8. Ugh. Overall enjoyed the cruise even though my DW is convinced the assistant stateroom attendant stole her unopened bottle of sun block. Live and learn.

We were on the GOS back in mid-August. There is an ice/water dispenser outside the Windjammer (OJ and lemonade and ice tea too). However, there were big signs that said not to fill water bottles at the water dispensers! A health dept. regulation. We just filled cups with water and ice and dumped them into coolers/water bottles.

Our inside cabin had a shampoo dispenser, but I never used it, so I don't even know if it was filled.

Enjoy your cruise Radio!

Radio-

I enjoyed all your posts last year as we were sailing after you in Sept. We will be back on Grandeur next October, as we opted for a Radiance cruise this year. As long as RCCL has a ship going out of Baltimore, our plan is to cruise on that ship every other year. What we save on airfare we use to get a really, really nice cabin. We are looking forward to next year's Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Please keep the "live on board the Grandeur" posts coming. They are the most informative posts I have found.

Radio must be having internet connection problems...it's not like him to not post in this long!

Hope you are well!!

They were having problems on the 9/24-29th. I never bothered to try but that is what I feared he may run into. Hopefully, he will find an internet cafe in port if necessary.

Hi Radio,

Great pictures. It brings back fond memories of the Grandeur.

We lost the internet for about half a day last time we sailed. I couldn’t get a good explanation of what happened.

To dixieva,

Sorry to take so long to answer your question. I’ve been battling a respiratory virus all week and haven’t been on the computer much.

I’v had a JS on deck 7 and deck 8. On deck 8 we had 8088 and on deck 7 the cabin right underneath it.

The only time we felt any vibration was when the ship was pulling away from the dock and it was only for a few minutes.

I don't remember any noise from above or below. We did have one noisy neighbor but that’s the luck of the draw ;-)

The aft JS balconies are really great for breakfast and general viewing.

You also get less wind than on a side balcony.

If you have the chance to book one I think you’ll enjoy it.

Thanks Tiggerbuddy! We might try an aft on the Granduer next Oct. if we can get one. Did you have a preference of deck 7 or 8? I love the size of the balcony but have heard stories of niose from clubs and vibration problems. Glad you did not experience any of that.

Hope you are feeling better!

Waiting for Radio's next post!

Hi Radio,

Great pictures. It brings back fond memories of the Grandeur.

We lost the internet for about half a day last time we sailed. I couldn’t get a good explanation of what happened.

To dixieva,

Sorry to take so long to answer your question. I’ve been battling a respiratory virus all week and haven’t been on the computer much.

I’v had a JS on deck 7 and deck 8. On deck 8 we had 8088 and on deck 7 the cabin right underneath it.

The only time we felt any vibration was when the ship was pulling away from the dock and it was only for a few minutes.

I don't remember any noise from above or below. We did have one noisy neighbor but that’s the luck of the draw ;-)

The aft JS balconies are really great for breakfast and general viewing.

You also get less wind than on a side balcony.

If you have the chance to book one I think you’ll enjoy it.

We were in 8088 last week. The only issue we had with noise was blasting music coming from the rock climbing wall starting at 9 am. A quick visit to the guest relations desk took care of that problem. Slight vibrations were occasionally noticeable but not bothersome.

Thanks Tiggerbuddy! We might try an aft on the Granduer next Oct. if we can get one. Did you have a preference of deck 7 or 8? I love the size of the balcony but have heard stories of niose from clubs and vibration problems. Glad you did not experience any of that.

Hope you are feeling better!

Waiting for Radio's next post!

I spoke to people who were on deck 7 in one of the aft staterooms and they said the noise from the South Pacific Lounge was a problem. I would avoid deck 7 aft in the future.

Internet Down...Details Later...from report yesterday and this morning...

Hello everyone…Today is Saturday, and we are on Day 2 of our voyage. The Seas are very Calm today. It is almost like a lake…We are about 70 miles from the coast of North Carolina. The skies are clear, it is very sunny, and the temperature is about 72 f., with a cool breeze.

I hope my GPS is incorrect, because at the present speed, we should be in Miami in 38 hours. That timing would place us there very late on Sunday. We are currently sailing at about 20knts. I am sure we will pick up speed throughout the day.

Today is our Meet and Mingle in the Viking Crown Lounge at 1:30. I am concerned that the Coffee Shop (Latte-Tudes) does not have any Coffee creamer or Half and Half…..They only have Non dairy creamer...Grrrrrr. My competent Head Waiter Tony, has supplied me with a Carafe of Half and Half, and suggested I bring it to him for refills as needed. Very Nice….. But No Creamer in the Coffee Shop ? ? ? ?

Today will be a day of relaxation for me…with a trip to the Solarium…..Maybe a Nap….and some time for photos and postings….

Sept 30 2005 12Noon

The Captain just delivered the daily Noon report

We are currently 547 miles from Miami, and are about 100 miles east of Point Lookout, N.C. The depth of the Atlantic Ocean here is 11,000 feet …WoW ! ! ! !

Back to Radio Commentary….

There is no Verizon Wireless Service at Sea, however you can connect if you use Cingular, Sprint, or TMobile. The roaming charges are 2.50 per minute, but that is

Much cheaper than using your in cabin phone (7.95/min).

The Wi-Fi connection has been down all morning. I have been typing this post in the Viking Crown Lounge, and will try back later to see if the connection is working.

The Wi Fi Hot Spots are in the Library, the Centrum, the Schooner Bar, Conference Center, Viking Crown Lounge, and Solarium.

7AM Sunday October 1, 2006

Hello everyone…. I have found out why I have not have access to the Internet Café and Wi Fi… It seems that the Satellite has not worked since 6AM yesterday ( I tried to post at 7AM and tried to post every 2 hours) I was finally told last night that the problem has caused concern with many passengers. Yesterday there was no:

· Internet Café

· Wi-Fi

· In Cabin Phone (Ship to Shore Phone Service)

· Future Cruise Consultant Booking

· Crew Internet or Phone

The Vendor of the Satellite Equipment will be boarding the Ship in Miami, and will stay onboard until the Satellite is operational.

If you are reading this post, it is due to my Wireless Broadband Connection….. Still no Internet or Wifi..:confused:

Since I didn’t have a connection…you are viewing my notes…

It seems that we have increased speed ….at the current speed, we should be entering Government Cut (In Miami) by 3PM…I will update the docking time upon arrival. I think I will be going to Miami Bayside when we arrive, and maybe do a sightseeing tour…or dinner….We’ll just play it by ear…

10-01-06 1:45 PM

Hello everyone ! ! ! We are back “LIVE” now….. We should be docked in Miami by 3PM. The PILOT is boarding now…. And soon we will be entering Government Cut…

Lots of Pics to Come….

Sorry for the delayed postings….

Thanks for tuning in…

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We have finally docked...The Official docking time was 3PM....We should be cleared soon. I am very happy that I have my connection at last....

Lots of pics to come later...

Radio

:cool: :cool:

image.jpg

Hi Radio,

Glad to have you back. I'll be checking your pictures tomorrow morning at work.

It's a great way to kick off the work week;-)

To dixieva,

Both decks were good but the DW and I both agreed on deck 8.

No particular reason why, we just seemed to think it was a little nicer.

The noise from the lounge wasn't that noticeable when we stayed on Deck 7.

It probably depends on the individual band and how loud they're cranked up.

I'd like to sail the Grandeur next May but it looks sold out.

I'll have to check with my TA and see if she can help me.

I have to get better soon.

We're on the Explorer Oct 20!

Here are a few pics of our arrival.....

I am ready to debark for Bayside...More Pics later....

Radio

Welcome to Sunny Miami...

image.jpg

Miami Beach

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Freedom of the Seas

image.jpg

Radio must be having fun in sunny Miami.....long time, no post!

Anxiously awaiting your photos...already checked out your previous grandeur shots.

We are booked in an OS on her next Oct, but we may sitch it to Mariner or Liberty to do the western caribbean we missed....

Radio, it is great to read your post and look at your pictures, you have a great eye and take some beautiful pics. We will be on the Grandeur in April for the repo from NO to Balt. it will be the first cruise after the dry dock. We are really excited about this cruise. Thanks for the great reports each day. Have a fantastic cruise!!

How was Bayside? What did you do? How did you get over there? We are also considering going there and maybe South Beach also. I read on here some where that there is a shuttle pass you can buy for $15 that you can use to go both to Bayside and South Beach - is this correct? Or is it each trip will cost $15?

Thanks for taking the time to let us cruise with you! We are leaving on 10/13 and this makes it so much more exciting!

Thanks and have a great time!

Hey steve n sherri....any clue what they will do in the drydock?? Big redo or just some fluffing?

we sail in Oct of 07 so it's good to know she will be spiffy......that is if we don't change to a 7 night carib....but we have a GS cause it was a REAL sweet deal.........

thanks

oh....anyone who has any tdbits about grandeur, feel free to email me

crusiermeg@hotmail.com

TIA

ok...now back to waiting for radio.

Thanks for the picture of the Freedom OTS, I will be on her two weeks from today.

I have followed your reports for several years, even if I'm not on the current ship. You give us so much. Wish we could repay you!

Thanks,

Carol

Hello everyone….Today was a fun day…a little hot…..well, alot hot, but a great day. As you know, we arrived in port toady at 3PM. We decided that we wanted to get some nice shots of the Freedom of the Seas as she left today……The Freedom left at 5:30PM, and we left the Grandeur at about 545 PM. We didn’t book an excursion, but we had several choices of things to do. We could purchase shuttle tickets in the Passenger terminal for $15 PP/ RT to either Bayside or South Beach(But not Both), we could take a cab over to Bayside for about $7 each way per cab (up to 4 psg), and a crew member told me about a shuttle van that would take you to Bayside for $2 PP each way. The shuttle Van was not there, so we cabbed over to Bayside for a couple of hours.

Bayside was packed packed packed…….Whoa there was a ton of people over there…The weather was hot but with a nice breeze. We just strolled around the area for awhile, and shopped…I offered a nice dinner to my folks who came with me, but they were fine with coming back to the Grandeur for dinner. We though about going on the Island Queen, which does a 90 min sail around Biscayne Bay and South Beach, but opted not to, because we would be too late for dinner. There was a free amphitheater with some nice latin bands……There was a lot of things to do for kids and families. All in all, it was nice to visit Miami, but unless you have an excursion planned there is so many things to do,and we just didn’t plan out the day very well……And most all of the tours are able to be booked in advance. Many folks went to South Beach and loved it !

We returned to the ship , where is was open sitting dinner, and then went to the show featuring Glenn Smith (Very entertaining)…..

Tomorrow is Key West from 8AM until 3PM, and tomorrow night we turn our clocks back 1 Hour….. The Chocolate Buffet is also tomorrow night.

INTERNET UPDATE….It is working, the repair people must have solved the problem, and I’ve heard that they will stay on for a couple of days to make sure all is well.

It is now 10PM, and we are stating to pull away, so I must go topside to see if there are a few photos to take….

Thanks for tuning in…More pIcs tomorrow…

Radio

:cool:

The Beautiful Freedom of the Seas

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are a few more...

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Bayside Market

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Passenger Terminal at night.... We are about to leave...

image.jpg