Denali Park - road opening dates 2007

celle

I know I have seen this somewhere, but I could not find it on the Denali Park web site.

Can anyone help by telling me when the roads into Denali Park open? I know the summer schedule in the park begins on May 17th, but I am sure I read somewhere that the road deep into the park opens in stages.

When does the road open as far as Fish Creek, Wonder Lake, Kantishna?

We will be in Denali at the beginning of June, about June 2nd and 3rd.

What will the bugs be like then?

I know I have seen this somewhere, but I could not find it on the Denali Park web site.

Can anyone help by telling me when the roads into Denali Park open? I know the summer schedule in the park begins on May 17th, but I am sure I read somewhere that the road deep into the park opens in stages.

When does the road open as far as Fish Creek, Wonder Lake, Kantishna?

We will be in Denali at the beginning of June, about June 2nd and 3rd.

What will the bugs be like then?

The official park road opening dates won't be known until next May or June - it really depends on the snow. Having said that, for 2006 their published advance plan was as follows:

May 20-31 to Toklat River

Jun 1-7 to Fish Creek

Jun 8 onward to Wonder Lake and Kantishna

Hopefully you will be able to get as far as Fish Creek that early in June. I didn't think of asking them when I was there the end of June this year if the road opened as planned.

Unless you go past Fish Creek, the mosquitos won't be bad at all.

I am going in early July to Wonder Lake. No snow then, but lots of mosquitos. I'd rather deal with those and see the Mountain and do some hiking than not go that far.

John

Thanks, John.

Since we can't change our holiday dates (taking a week on land before departing from Seward on a cruise), we will go with what we can get, wish for a mild Spring, and hope to be able to get as far as Fish Creek.

Since we will be touring independently, we really just want to get a "feel" for the place, and won't mind a quiet day here and there.

Celle.

Thanks, John.

Since we can't change our holiday dates (taking a week on land before departing from Seward on a cruise), we will go with what we can get, wish for a mild Spring, and hope to be able to get as far as Fish Creek.

Since we will be touring independently, we really just want to get a "feel" for the place, and won't mind a quiet day here and there.

Celle.

You can book your shuttle bus tickets online on/after December 1st. You can also call on/after Feb 1, 2007 or call just a couple of days ahead (they reserve something like 35% of the tickets for the last couple of days). But if you have your dates set, booking in December can't hurt.

Archived