HAL's Tipping Policy

Italy52

Are the staff in the PG also part of the Auto-Tip?

Yes. A small portion of the $10/day service charge is allocated to Pinnacle Grill staff.

Some people would argue that since the amount rendered to the Pinnacle staff is pennies, that people should tip extra.

Others would argue that the amount rendered to Pinnacle in total (from people who never eat there and the other days a diner doesn't eat there) does add up to sufficient tip.

If you and Keaka do eat there you will decide for yourselves what to do.

Yes. A small portion of the $10/day service charge is allocated to Pinnacle Grill staff.

Some people would argue that since the amount rendered to the Pinnacle staff is pennies, that people should tip extra.

Others would argue that the amount rendered to Pinnacle in total (from people who never eat there and the other days a diner doesn't eat there) does add up to sufficient tip.

If you and Keaka do eat there you will decide for yourselves what to do.

I know this is a really stupid follow up question, but those who work in the PG, is that all they do while on board? Or do those who work there also have other behind the scenes duties. Further, for those who work in the Main Dining Room is that all they do as well?

For some reason I'm just fascinated by this topic :)

I know this is a really stupid follow up question, but those who work in the PG, is that all they do while on board? Or do those who work there also have other behind the scenes duties. Further, for those who work in the Main Dining Room is that all they do as well?

Not a stupid question! :D I'm not sure about the PG staff, but those from the main d.r. definitely have other assignments around the ship as well. I've seen our waiter delivering room service in the morning, and our wine steward working in the Lido pool area at lunch, for example.

This probably happens more on port days when some of the crew gets shore leave for a few hours. :)

When we were on Zaandam, the waiters in the Neptune Lounge were from the Pinnacle Grill. The Pinnacle Grill chef makes the goodies for the Neptune Lounge throughout the day. The waiters bring the new food in, set it out, clean up and take out any dirty dishes, cutlery, food leftovers, etc. It is also my understanding, from recent posts on that subject, that the Pinnacle Grill waiters double as butlers for the Half Moon Cay cabanas.

I find ship operations very fascinating as well. It seems that each crew or staff member wears many hats. I noticed that the Crow's Nest DJ also helped out as the afternoon librarian at the Exploration's Cafe, for example!

Karin

When we were on Zaandam, the waiters in the Neptune Lounge were from the Pinnacle Grill. The Pinnacle Grill chef makes the goodies for the Neptune Lounge throughout the day. The waiters bring the new food in, set it out, clean up and take out any dirty dishes, cutlery, food leftovers, etc. It is also my understanding, from recent posts on that subject, that the Pinnacle Grill waiters double as butlers for the Half Moon Cay cabanas.

I find ship operations very fascinating as well. It seems that each crew or staff member wears many hats. I noticed that the Crow's Nest DJ also helped out as the afternoon librarian at the Exploration's Cafe, for example!

Karin

Wow! That's fascinating, Karin and John. I had no idea how much they work. Do they do the usual 8 hours shifts (per full time job) or are they longer or shorter?

I was just looking through my DOCs and I was reading the Gift Guide 2006 and noticed that the PG price is still $20. There is no announcement anywhere saying that the price has raised...curious isn't it?

Also, on the Wine Navigator insert, the Navigator's Choice is $149 - 5 Bottles and the Admiral's Choice is $199 - 5 Bottles... On the Holiday Gift Selections it's $171.35 and $228.85 respectively...On the regular Gift Order Form they are $151.80 and $217.35

I'm guessing the difference between the Navigator insert and the Gift Order Form is the 15% gratuity. I'm just not sure about the difference between the Holiday Order Form and the Regular Order Form.

I know this doesn't belong in this thread, so I will post it elsewhere. I just thought these differences were funny/interesting not funny/haha :D

On the Zaandam in June we ate in the PG the first night and then saw the wait staff serving at all of the afternoon teas. We also saw our main dining room waiter and assistant waiter serving in the Lido during lunch. I never paid attention on any previous cruises. I will take note on the O next month!

Archived