Casa de Campo - Port La Romana - What to do ???

frugal one

Okay folks... This Port is kinda lame with the quantity of information sharing going on. Surely there are more people who have actually GOTTEN OFF the boat than the very very few posts here :rolleyes:

We're going on the Celebrity Millenium and looking at both the cruise ship tours and private tours. Our visit is 1-8pm.

Anyone out there do any of the more adventurous Millenium excursions?

Catamaran Sail & Snorkel - Was the music really loud and obnoxious? Or doable? Was the snorkeling sufficient?

Water Eco Adventure - this one looks facinating! But wondering if the transfers take up most of the tour time?

Bayahibe Beach Break - Was there snorkeling off the beach? Were you completely bugged by hawkers? Was the sand and view beautiful?

Did anyone do any private excursions?

How'd you find them? I'm struggling with the research on this Port La Romana. It seems that most of the excursions I've found leave from at least an hour from the port. Are there any that leave close to the port?

HELP!!!! :) :) :)

Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic

We docked at the pier in La Romana. You have an opportunity to purchase a number of excursions or take a shuttle, provided gratis by Celebrity Cruise Lines, to Altos de Chavon and Casa de Campo Resort. Altos de Chavon is a recreation of a medieval Spanish village with cobblestone streets. It's an interesting stroll, but not of interest to kids. Casa de Campo is a 7,000 acre resort. The shuttle took you to the marina where there are shops and restaurants. During the Port Talk, we were encouraged to visit the marina after dinner. Unfortunately, it closes at 7:00pm.

We chose to take the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion at a cost of $44 per person. An air conditioned tour bus took us to the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort. This is a very nice all-inclusive resort on Bayahibe Beach, about 30 minutes drive from the ship. The excursion included transportation, beach lounge chairs, use of the resort beach and pool, and access to the open bars. This is an excellent facility for families. There is a big white sand beach and lots of shade. Food and watercraft are available at a small additional charge. The large pool has a 12-foot tall tethered floating "Iceberg" climbing wall/slide that the kids couldn't get enough of. We got hit by a late afternoon downpour, but it didn't dampen the fun. I do recommend it. We felt secure at all times. When you've got an excursion like this available, I do not recommend staying on the ship.

We would have done the Bayahibe Beach excursion on our own, but we couldn't get any enough information on the Ports of Call thread to feel comfortable about it. Let me remedy that right now. You can do this on your own, and you shouldn't hesitate. At the port, it is easy to arrange for your own transportation to Bayahibe Beach. (A fellow passenger arranged for a van for their group of ten for $10 per person. They got roundtrip transportation to Bayahibe Beach and the driver even waited for them for 3 hours while they enjoyed the beach). If you don't need the resort facilities, you can access and use the beach just East of the resort.

You can do the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort on a Day Pass, which would be great if you arrive in the morning. A day pass runs $50 per person (less for children under 11), from 10:30pm until 5:30pm It includes unlimited drinks, food, and access to non-motorized watercraft, snorkel gear, beach chairs --- pretty much the works! The resort personnel are extremely friendly. Shirley Sánchez, the Chief Concierge, is very good at answering any questions you may have via email. A taxi for 4 should run in the $30 to $35 range each way. If the driver doesn't stay, the resort will get call a taxi for your return trip to the pier.

Well, I was on Constellation about 2 years ago and I was faced with the same dilemma. What do you do in DR? We opted for the water Eco adventure. We had a lot of fun and it was something different than the usual excursions. I would recommend it. On the other hand in Nov. we are going again and I am facing the same dilemma. What should we do there? Any nice beach areas? Is it safe to go out on your own? It would be nice if anyone out there has any answers. Thanks

You can do the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort on a Day Pass, which would be great if you arrive in the morning. A day pass runs $50 per person.

We will be in the DR from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Another group on our cruise is planning on doing a day pass, possibly at Sunscape. I had never heard of doing day passes at all-inclusive resorts previously to this.

Is it worth it? Do you really get to experience the Dominican Republic? What all is there to do? You mentioned food and non-motorized water equipment. What can we fill our 9 hours with? How much would it cost to get there from La Romana for just 2 people?

Thank you for all your help! I was getting concerned about what to do!

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in the DR from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Another group on our cruise is planning on doing a day pass, possibly at Sunscape. I had never heard of doing day passes at all-inclusive resorts previously to this.

Is it worth it? Do you really get to experience the Dominican Republic? What all is there to do? You mentioned food and non-motorized water equipment. What can we fill our 9 hours with? How much would it cost to get there from La Romana for just 2 people?

Thank you for all your help! I was getting concerned about what to do!

LUCKY YOU!!! Sunscape Casa del Mar is a great resort, we are going there in February for the 5th time. y ou would probably have to have a day pass from the ship... There is a brand new pool just being completed..an area I think just for cruise ship passengers.. You can walk into town, Bayibe.. and do whatever or take a taxi (share it) to La Romana and walk around.. there is a flea market and a huge modern supermarket where you can stock up on Santo Domingo Coffee beans dirt cheap, pure vanilla, and 151 proof Brugel Rum.. At night you might want to get tickets at Altos de Chavon for Kandela.. a L.V type show in a magnificent stone ampitheatre... The beach at SCDM is white sands, blue warm water and lots and lots of chairs and palapas.. also there is massage huts on the beach, in the spa and best of all in a jungle setting behind Building #5.. oh yes.. at the end of the property is a flea market where you can wheel and deal for great mahogany bowls..

LUCKY YOU!!! Sunscape Casa del Mar is a great resort, we are going there in February for the 5th time. y ou would probably have to have a day pass from the ship... There is a brand new pool just being completed..an area I think just for cruise ship passengers.. You can walk into town, Bayibe.. and do whatever or take a taxi (share it) to La Romana and walk around.. there is a flea market and a huge modern supermarket where you can stock up on Santo Domingo Coffee beans dirt cheap, pure vanilla, and 151 proof Brugel Rum.. At night you might want to get tickets at Altos de Chavon for Kandela.. a L.V type show in a magnificent stone ampitheatre... The beach at SCDM is white sands, blue warm water and lots and lots of chairs and palapas.. also there is massage huts on the beach, in the spa and best of all in a jungle setting behind Building #5.. oh yes.. at the end of the property is a flea market where you can wheel and deal for great mahogany bowls..

we are doing the ship's tour there in december.. have you snorkeled from the beach at the resort and was it fairly good??.. thanks

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived