Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brunolvr

NCL Spirit Review, Part 4 (final)

NORWEGIAN SPIRIT 7/03/04 TO 7/10/04, Part 4

Entertainment & Activities – We weren’t much into the activities and entertainment as we wanted to be outside on deck or on our balcony as much as we possibly could. We did see some shows (Great Adventure Showtime, Night on the Town, Jane L. Powell, and our favorite was the comedian, Bud Anderson). There were all kinds of activities – just check your Freestyle Daily every evening when you get it for the next day’s activities – bring a highlighter pen so you can mark your choices! One thing we did enjoy was the viewing area for the bridge of the ship. The curtain is not open very often or for very long, but if you check the Daily you can find out when viewing is available (noon to 2 on embarkation day and then usually only when in port from about 11 to 1).

Complaints - Our main complaint was that the cruise was over way too soon! No, seriously, we really don’t have much in the way of complaints – nothing is 100% perfect and you should expect a few problems. We would have liked to have the Spirit cruise on the east side of Vancouver Island (southbound direction) instead of on the west side as there is nothing to see but the ocean, and the inside passage is so beautiful and full of wondrous sights that you can’t get enough of them! So, we’re ready to cruise once again to Alaska – just want to find a ship that cruises the “true” inside passage the whole trip.

Norwegian Spirit –On Channel 3 on the television in your stateroom you get a “Report from the Bridge” every 15 minutes (miles traveled, miles to next port, miles from last port, current temperature, sea conditions, wind conditions, exact location, etc.) and then between those updates there was a continuous map showing the route you were on and the Spirit’s location. In fact we got a map of the inside passage and attached it to the wall in our stateroom (the wall had a vinyl covering) and marked our route as we sailed along. The Spirit is a beautiful ship with a fabulous crew who do their best to serve you well – everyone was friendly and took time to converse with you if you were interested – we found the staff in both of the main restaurants (Windows and Garden Room) to be attentive and, in fact, outstanding. It appears the crew of the Spirit has made great advances from the first few cruises making this a great choice for your Alaska adventure!

Lovely review. I wish I could go on the Spirit's 9 day caribbean itinerary this winter but I probably will not be cruising until 2006. Ah well I can live vicariously through reviews like yours.

wife and I are going on the last alaska cruise this sept 18.. and after your comments we are really looking forward to it. your review was sincere and honest, thank you again.. we have been sailing for a number of years over 20 cruises including Q.E.2 twice... crown and anchor (diamond) with RCCL.

my wife her friends that the only ship we didnt sail on was the TITANIC lol.

thanks again for your comments and not having a overly slanted view against ncl,ship or crew.....was a pleasure to read ....

My husband and I are going to Alaska on the Spirit on 8/7. I'm counting the days. Your review made me even more anxious. Thanks for the reassurance that the ship will be delightful.

Great review. You certainly covered everything. One question. Is the dinner menu the same in the Garden Room and Windows?

Thanks for posting such good 'positive review' of the Spirit.

We're a family of 7 cruising very soon so we're really looking forward to it now more than ever! :D

I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise; we certainly did! The Spirit's a wonderful ship, and Alaska is so beautiful.

Thank you for posting your review!

Wonderful review, I can't wait to experience the cruise myself!

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

The Spirit really is a beautiful ship and I cannot image being disappointed! We are still thrilled with our experience and are ready to go again. The staff was wonderful and they seemed to enjoy what they are doing. I highly recommend this cruise! :)

Maria

Great review and great pictures!! How was the ocean and the stability of the ship? Was it better going up, then going back seeing as you cruise farther away from shore on the return? If it is really bad I will get patches for our kids, otherwise we'll go to Costco and get Meclazine. When we went a few years ago we had an aft balcony and it was a very, very rocky ride. (The tv and closet doors kept slamming in and out) We are also taking the last cruise of the season and it follows a different itinerary. We spend a whole day cruising Sawyer Glacier. I wonder if they will still do the chocolate buffet on that day. Was the BBQ available for lunch on sea day? Dinner? I'm sorry your specialty dinner wasn't a great experience. We ate at two different restaurants on the Star, the Bistro and Ginza and thought they were very good. During that time though you could go early and eat for half price, and sometimes they ran a lunch special. Did they have a steak night, lobster night and prime rib night in the regular restaurant? Could you get more than one lobster? (My son-law loves lobster) Did they a good fish selection each night? How about salmon? Any comments on the Japanese restaurant? What hours is the sit down restaurant open on embarkation? Did you go there? (I must be hungry!!!) What was the "usual" dress in the regular restaurants? How many people dressed up for formal nights? Our grandbaby is going YEA!!!(she'll be 5 months). Does anyone know what kind of cribs they have on the ship? How was the inside temp. of the ship? What kind of board games do they have onboard? Are cards available? Thanks to any and all for your answers.

I was on the Spirit from the 3rd to the 10th too. We had in my opinion a very calm sailing. No tv or closet doors slamming that I saw. Yes they had a steak and lobster and prime rib night. And lots of yummy cold fruit soups!!! On lobster night I think you got 3 pieces of lobster that equals about 1 and 1/2. I don't care for sea food but my hubby does and he ordered alot of the different fish dishes and liked most of them. They do have some board games but not sure which ones and yes they had cards. Had a hard time putting full decks togehter.. but they are there. One yummy thing we found that I hadn't heard anyone talk about was the ice cream bar that is right by the pool... Yummy ice cream cones and dishes. Open from about noon to 5 I think. Not talking about the little carts they roll around and serve from. Oh and we found that on some nights we would of much rather skipped dessert in the main resturant and had it in the buffet. Just my opinion.

We loved the ice cream bar on the Star. We just had to make sure we didn't show up to get ice cream the same time the kids club did or there was a very long wait. Fruit soups are like getting a foo-foo drink in a bowl, YUM!

We loved the ice cream bar on the Star. We just had to make sure we didn't show up to get ice cream the same time the kids club did or there was a very long wait. Fruit soups are like getting a foo-foo drink in a bowl, YUM!

Yes, the cold fruit soups offered in Windows and The Garden Room were great! Man, how did we miss the ice cream bar!!! The only ice cream we found was Raffles Terrace around noontime. Guess we'll just have to go back again! I wish!

Thanks for the great pictures and the reviews (all 4!) Glad you had a wonderful time. Looking forward to our trip!! :D