• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

ok , screw it!

interestedparty

hi, i know that i did not ingratiate myself the other day out here, and i am truly sorry!

but i am going on my first cruise in a few weeks, and i am worried about something....

ok, everyone, be rude to me, b/c i deserve it, (i really do)....

i am a big (cute) guy....laugh...my girlfriend thinks i am cute, i HATE flying...so.......

do they have big guy life jackets for the drilll thing?

ok, make fun, but i am worried about this,.....and i am sure i don't deserve your help...but if you do,, THANKS

bye

The standard adult life jacket should be fine. I wear a 4X or 5X shirt/jacket and they fit around me. Don't sweat it.

Go late to the muster drill and carry your life jacket with you until you get to muster station. If you're wearing it and going downstairs, you can't see the stairs in front of you.

Yes I know that they have life jackets for all sizes as I occasionally cruise with a very good friend that is 5'6",320 lbs and the steward provided him with a very well fitting vest that accomodated his size and weight.

Happy Cruising!

The standard adult life jacket should be fine. I wear a 4X or 5X shirt/jacket and they fit around me. Don't sweat it.

Go late to the muster drill and carry your life jacket with you until you get to muster station. If you're wearing it and going downstairs, you can't see the stairs in front of you.

Thank you very much, i can't say how much this has been bothering me. i will do that, the last thing i want is to eat some stairs.......:confused:

They have extensions that can be added to the lifejackets....just like airline seatbelts.

Come on...be a man & go have the time of your life. :D

thanks guys, i plan too......i need some real fun....this is a very nice non judgemental place....so i will

i am a big man, and i plan to have big fun!

thank you...any other tips would be apprecated...we have an inside cabin, and i hear the showers are small...............

You should be fine, have a great cruise :) !!!

thank you i will....:cool:

any other things i should think about, i tend to be an outspoken person, but not wanting to offend anyonee.....i would love a big diverse table at dinner, how would one get that?

thanks

thank you...any other tips would be apprecated...we have an inside cabin, and i hear the showers are small...............

If you feel the shower is too small in the cabin, you can go up to the spa and use the showers there.

thank you i will....:cool:

any other things i should think about, i tend to be an outspoken person, but not wanting to offend anyonee.....i would love a big diverse table at dinner, how would one get that?

thanks

You should contact the person you booked your cruise with & request to be placed at a table that has more than four people.

i would love a big diverse table at dinner, how would one get that

Your TA/PVP probably asked you if you wanted to be seated at a large/small table. On embarkation day, the MaitreD is in one of the Dining Rooms/Lounges [the exact time/place will be in your Capers]. They'll do their best to give you what you want

I am not a small man at 6'4" and 290. I wear a 50 or 54 suit jacket and yes I am somewhat portly, but that is changing slowly.

My point is that the jacket is uncomfortable, but only for a while. I always go to the matre de to insure I have the seating and table size I need. We usually travel in a group of 4 or 6 and even more some times. This brings up the interesting point. I always want a table and chair, not a booth, as the booth is usually uncomfortable.

Suffice it to say the Head Waiter is more than happy to help out. In addition I always make sure to get his personal tip envelope right then and might return it with 20 in it the first night if I get a good table. Little cost to insure a good table.

The shower thing is hard to judge, as I was in the NAVY and we were used to showers where one fills a bucket, soaps up and rinses. Why a bucket you say? In case the water gets shut off while soaped up and no water. Sort of primitive but I will take running water to no water.

Nothing to sweat, but always fun on a ship.

RUF

The jacket fits around the neck with a strap that goes around the body ... I am very large and have no neck ... while it was a bit uncomfortable having the jacket around my neck I only put it on when I was asked to and took it right off ... so it was not a big deal ... but I was worried about it as well ...

I do not like to do stairs and my mother does not do stairs, so we got our life jackets a few minutes before the drill, then took the elevator to our muster station ... sure we got a few looks ... but if you are on a lower deck there are a lot of stairs and people you have to deal with ...

we have an inside cabin, and i hear the showers are small...............

Bring along a handful of clothespins and place them every few inches along the bottom of the shower curtain. They will help to hold it in place and keep it from wrapping around you.

The spa showers are a good idea as they are normally better than the ones in the rooms.

I am not large...the life jackets are uncomfortable anyway! To take your mind off the discomfort just think about the sound of the toilet flushing--not much worse than that!

Or, have several DODs prior to the drill, you won't care how uncomfortable the jacket is ;) :cool:

Interestedparty,

the beauty of cruising...

On the ships you will find diversity at it's grandest. You will find a little bit for everyone, and everyone fits.

I know this may be a little off topic but I want you to know that no matter who you are, no matter what size you are, no matter what social status, or what race...you will never feel out of place.

There will always be someone richer than you, someone poorer than you. Someone bigger than you, someone smaller than you. Someone better looking than you,and someone not nearly as goo looking as you. Someone tanner than you, someone whiter than you.

But what you will find you have in common with everyone...you are all having the time of your life and non of the other stuff matters at all.:D

Have a great cruise!

Or, have several DODs prior to the drill, you won't care how uncomfortable the jacket is ;) :cool:

Funny you should mention that because on our last cruise there was a lady sitting in front of us who had done just that. She slid off, fell off, and got bucked off her little stool/bench thing she was sitting on.

She certainly provided entertainment for the 6 of us who were sittin behind her.;)

A lot of us..ummm portly guys have cruised trust me you will be fine. Yes I do hate the muster drill...the life vests fit but man are they uncomfortable....LOL I have always ben seated at a table for at least 8 and I try and make sure I am the...outside person, so I don't have to fight my way to and from my seat.

"the Fatman"

Archived