• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

ok , screw it!

interestedparty

DH is a large guy, Love him just the same, and he hates the muster drill but it is just a few minutes then you can get back to your fun. Just please consider not wearing a speedo. Had a guy on our Disney cruise that had to weigh at least 400 lbs and it looked like he was not wearing a suit at all. One of the people in our group had the nerve to ask him what kind of a suit he was wearing. A speedo was the answer he gave. It was well hidden if you know what I mean. Not a pretty picture.

DH is a large guy, Love him just the same, and he hates the muster drill but it is just a few minutes then you can get back to your fun. Just please consider not wearing a speedo. Had a guy on our Disney cruise that had to weigh at least 400 lbs and it looked like he was not wearing a suit at all. One of the people in our group had the nerve to ask him what kind of a suit he was wearing. A speedo was the answer he gave. It was well hidden if you know what I mean. Not a pretty picture.

In all my cruises I have traveled with various "larger sized people". NONE have complained about the size of the shower - and I totally like the idea of the clothespins to weight down the shower curtain! Nifty!

My BF loves the showers in the spa/gym (bigger than the rooms) but mostly because *I* take up too much room in the cabin getting ready for dinner (I spread out a lot!). :o

Someone else mentioned booths not being friendly for larger sizes, but I suppose that depends on the booth - we had some large friends seated at a booth & they were quite comfortable. The tables on the other hand, usually have seats with or without arms at each table. Larger people usually prefer ones without arms. Try to get to your table early for dinner on the first night so you can scope out an armless seat. If there doesn't happen to be an armless seat at your table, mention it immediately to your waiter & he will switch a seat with the nearest table for you. They do it all the time - no big deal.

And to the person who takes the elevator to the lifeboat drill! :eek: Shame on you! :( The whole point of the drill is so you can become familiar with how to get to your muster station in an emergency. Just because you "don't like the stairs" is not a valid reason not to take them. If you have a true physical problem that makes you or your mother unable to take the stairs, your steward & the purser should be made aware & arrangements would be made to assist you. Like others have said, carrying your life vest until you are required to put it on makes moving around lots easier. And it's really tough about "all those other people" you need to deal with on the stairs during the drill!

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh here - I know it's our VACATION we're talking about - but emergency planning is NOT something that should ever be taken lightly.

Sha

I am 6'5 and 305. I'm tall and big. I hate the muster drill. So here is what I do, I make sure the vest is adjusted prior to exiting my cabin, then I carry it to my muster station where iI put it over my head but not buckled.

Then at the muster station as the crew explaines the uses of the safety equipment I check out to see if any one looks bigger than me and I go up to them and say....SO you got it figured out..? (they usually get a wierd look on their face) and I say if anything goes bad it..is you and me dude, I think that togther we can take every one on this tub!

I then wait till the drill is almost over, you can not hear what is being said over the speaker, it sounds like charile brown adults.... waw waw wawwwawaaw. I then lean over to some unsuspecting folks and say ...did you hear that... MAN you got to be kidding....you have to wear this damn vest all week!!! I did not see that in the brochure. I go on and on.......I keep waiting to see someone wearing it to dinner. :)

Another favorite muster drill game is to wait till is is almost over and as everyone is breaking up I say loudly,.,.,,did you hear that..and point to someone ....because you took off your vest we have to go to our rooms and start all over again!!!

Always keeps me laughing and I never buckle my vest....enjoy the privlidges of being a BIG DOG!!

:)

I always sweat the life jacket thing (I know everyone does) until I have a childs life jacket in my cabin for my son. Our last cruise, the steward came running down the hall with it as we were on the second muster call, lol. I always try to ask for it when we check in, and also as soon as we board, but......

My husband giggles as soon as he puts his life jacket on, I guess cause we all look so silly, but it's one of those giggles that gets everyone started. Once he starts, nobody stops, lol.

I am 6'5 and 305. I'm tall and big. I hate the muster drill. So here is what I do, I make sure the vest is adjusted prior to exiting my cabin, then I carry it to my muster station where iI put it over my head but not buckled.

Then at the muster station as the crew explaines the uses of the safety equipment I check out to see if any one looks bigger than me and I go up to them and say....SO you got it figured out..? (they usually get a wierd look on their face) and I say if anything goes bad it..is you and me dude, I think that togther we can take every one on this tub!

I then wait till the drill is almost over, you can not hear what is being said over the speaker, it sounds like charile brown adults.... waw waw wawwwawaaw. I then lean over to some unsuspecting folks and say ...did you hear that... MAN you got to be kidding....you have to wear this damn vest all week!!! I did not see that in the brochure. I go on and on.......I keep waiting to see someone wearing it to dinner. :)

Another favorite muster drill game is to wait till is is almost over and as everyone is breaking up I say loudly,.,.,,did you hear that..and point to someone ....because you took off your vest we have to go to our rooms and start all over again!!!

Always keeps me laughing and I never buckle my vest....enjoy the privlidges of being a BIG DOG!!

:)

I am on my ass on the floor...lmao .....I like your tude dude, THANKS

:cool:

:D

OMG! :eek:

You have my word, no butt floss for me...yall are killing me, in a good way :D

:D

OMG! :eek:

You have my word, no butt floss for me...yall are killing me, in a good way :D

In all my cruises I have traveled with various "larger sized people". NONE have complained about the size of the shower - and I totally like the idea of the clothespins to weight down the shower curtain! Nifty!

My BF loves the showers in the spa/gym (bigger than the rooms) but mostly because *I* take up too much room in the cabin getting ready for dinner (I spread out a lot!). :o

Someone else mentioned booths not being friendly for larger sizes, but I suppose that depends on the booth - we had some large friends seated at a booth & they were quite comfortable. The tables on the other hand, usually have seats with or without arms at each table. Larger people usually prefer ones without arms. Try to get to your table early for dinner on the first night so you can scope out an armless seat. If there doesn't happen to be an armless seat at your table, mention it immediately to your waiter & he will switch a seat with the nearest table for you. They do it all the time - no big deal.

And to the person who takes the elevator to the lifeboat drill! :eek: Shame on you! :( The whole point of the drill is so you can become familiar with how to get to your muster station in an emergency. Just because you "don't like the stairs" is not a valid reason not to take them. If you have a true physical problem that makes you or your mother unable to take the stairs, your steward & the purser should be made aware & arrangements would be made to assist you. Like others have said, carrying your life vest until you are required to put it on makes moving around lots easier. And it's really tough about "all those other people" you need to deal with on the stairs during the drill!

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh here - I know it's our VACATION we're talking about - but emergency planning is NOT something that should ever be taken lightly.

Sha

Have to admit I have forgotten about mustering (that a word?). I am a stroke survivor and even though I look fine I do have a bit of a balance issue, and without a drink steps are a major issue so I guess I will be advising the "powers" when I get onboard. Thank you.

"And to the person who takes the elevator to the lifeboat drill! :eek: Shame on you! :( The whole point of the drill is so you can become familiar with how to get to your muster station in an emergency. Just because you "don't like the stairs" is not a valid reason not to take them. If you have a true physical problem that makes you or your mother unable to take the stairs, your steward & the purser should be made aware & arrangements would be made to assist you. Like others have said, carrying your life vest until you are required to put it on makes moving around lots easier. And it's really tough about "all those other people" you need to deal with on the stairs during the drill!"

They advise you to take the elevator and go down early if you have problems with stairs. They don't want a bunch of people slowing down the process or getting hurt. In case of an emergency, then they don't have a choice. The important part is knowing where your muster station is and what to do after you get there.

hi, i know that i did not ingratiate myself the other day out here, and i am truly sorry!

but i am going on my first cruise in a few weeks, and i am worried about something....

ok, everyone, be rude to me, b/c i deserve it, (i really do)....

i am a big (cute) guy....laugh...my girlfriend thinks i am cute, i HATE flying...so.......

do they have big guy life jackets for the drilll thing?

ok, make fun, but i am worried about this,.....and i am sure i don't deserve your help...but if you do,, THANKS

bye

Adjust your life jacket in your room (Yes, it will fit you without an issue) and then take it off, carry it to muster and put it on at the last minute.

You will have a glorious time..... just don;t stress yourself out.

Adjust your life jacket in your room (Yes, it will fit you without an issue) and then take it off, carry it to muster and put it on at the last minute.

You will have a glorious time..... just don;t stress yourself out.

Do your fellow cruisers a favor though and make sure the straps aren't dragging behind you. I've seen several people get tripped going down the stairs when the person in front of them is carrying their lifejackets and the straps are dragging on the steps behind them. The stairs will be full and it's hard to see the step in front of you.

Archived