WHY, OH WHY, did I transfer my RCI reservation to a TA??

It was the lure of the OBC, but now that I've decided to cancel the cruise I can't get the agent to cancel it. I first emailed her on Sept 25, no response, second email Sept 29th, says she will take care of it, and it is October 4, and still no action! For all my future RCI bookings I am going to keep my reservation with RCI. Fortunately, my deposit($900) is on a 0% cc, but STILL......And, for those who say, contact her supervior, she IS a supervisor!.....okay, I am done. I will just keep thinking about the cruise I am leaving on this weekend :).

Marie

Call RCCL and ask for a supervisor. Tell them you have requested 3 times for your TA to cancel and she is not handling and you want it done. If you have requested the cancellations by email, I would tell them you are willing to send them copies of the emails.

They will buck at getting you to a supervisor and even to do the cancellation but keep pushing.

My rule of thumb is transfer to a TA only right before final payment is due.

That way

1) you know you are definitely going

2) still get to handle your own reservation for the bulk of the booking period

3) still get the perks that a TA can give you

4) the TA gets their commission

In your case, I would document everything and definitely call RCCL if the final payment date is close!!!!

I have emailed her once again. I do have copies of all correspondence. In fact, I've just been working off the original correspondence, so she herself, can be reminded how LONG I've been trying to accomplish this. I've been very nice, and maybe that is my mistake, lol. I truly do not want to go to RCI, or upper management in her company, and cause any hardship for her.

Marie

No, I have not tried calling. There is no reason in particular why I haven't, other than the fact, that I do whatever business I can via email. Anymore, it's my preference of communication, and I feel it's the best use of other people's time too. But, if I do not hear back by Friday, a phone call may be best.

Marie

I will never use a travel agent again. We never got any perks and did all the work ourselves then called and told them what to book for us. We maybe got a cheesy gift delivered to our room but not always.

I recently booked directly with RCCL and have been really pleased. For instance-booked two staterooms, wanted connecting but none were available. Found connecting rooms available on their site (this was on a weekend), called and got them changed right that minute. Loved that!

Also I liked being able to talk to them myself to make sure I was getting all the discounts I was eligible for like senior discount, platinum discount etc.

From now on I will deal directly with them.

A TA does not even have to pick up the phone to do the cancellation, there is no reason it has taken this long. Im a TA and I have even logged on at night and cancelled cruises for people. I have a full time job and only do the cruise thing on the side, but I can find a few seconds to log in and cancel a booking.

I think personally you are being too nice. I have never had someone that patient or nice with me. I would make it clear she has until end of business today to take care of this and respond with the cancellation number provided by the cruiseline or you will have no choice but to go to RCCL directly and deal with a supervisor.

Now another thing most people do not know, if a TA continually gets complaints for non response, not cancelling, etc then RCCL will put them on a no booking list, they will no longer accept bookings from that TA. Im not sure what all the guidelines are because I have never had a complaint filed.

Has she given you any reason for her inaction? If she is local I would go and sit it her office until it was done!

That was my thought. Our TA - who is fabulous as I've said often - is right here in Toronto and responds promptly to everything. I think you hit a lousy TA, Marie - doesn't make you feel better I know, but if she's local, go sit in her office!!!:eek::eek:

Fran

I appreciate your insight and advice. I was not sure whether a call was involved or not, and now I know there is not. Thank you.

I did think there was probably some policy in place if RCI got too many complaints on an agent, and this is what I am trying to avoid for her, BUT, she seems to be leaving me no choice. Since I have already sent an email today, I will give her 24 hours to take care of it, and if she doesn't, I will do as you suggest.

Thanks again, Nitra :).

Marie

I worked as a travel agent and I'm going to give my opinion from the agent side and from the traveler side. From an agent's standpoint, you're not helping him/her by allowing them to do the worst possible job, you're making life difficult for other travel agents who have to compensate for agents like yours and it's absolutely unprofessional for the agent to jerk you around like this.

As a traveler, do you see that by not kicking this agent's butt, you are setting up the next guy to get jerked around simply by not having the gumption to do what needs to be done. NO ONE likes to be the bad guy, to get people in trouble, but this agent got themselves into trouble and you are helping them keep doing this kind of thing to others if you don't get a higher level supervisor from the agency or RCI on this. You've heard of the golden rule, would you want someone to make sure you were treated badly? If you don't bust them on this, you ARE making sure someone else is treated badly. Can you live with that?

Sorry to be harsh, but I think you're trying so hard to be nice that you're really not being nice to your fellow travelers.

Best wishes.

I worked as a travel agent and I'm going to give my opinion from the agent side and from the traveler side. From an agent's standpoint, you're not helping him/her by allowing them to do the worst possible job, you're making life difficult for other travel agents who have to compensate for agents like yours and it's absolutely unprofessional for the agent to jerk you around like this.

As a traveler, do you see that by not kicking this agent's butt, you are setting up the next guy to get jerked around simply by not having the gumption to do what needs to be done. NO ONE likes to be the bad guy, to get people in trouble, but this agent got themselves into trouble and you are helping them keep doing this kind of thing to others if you don't get a higher level supervisor from the agency or RCI on this. You've heard of the golden rule, would you want someone to make sure you were treated badly? If you don't bust them on this, you ARE making sure someone else is treated badly. Can you live with that?

Sorry to be harsh, but I think you're trying so hard to be nice that you're really not being nice to your fellow travelers.

Best wishes.

Well, it is kinda harsh ;), lol, but not a perspective that occurred to me, however, very valid. I appreciate you taking the time to share with me.

Marie

Marie I'm sorry that your agent bites! :mad: However, I would encourage to go ahead and pick up the phone even though it's not your favorite form of communication. I would do whatever I had to to be heard! In fact the advice the other TA's gave by way of reporting might be somthing to mention!

Best wishes.

OK Marie!! Now I know it's all your fault when an agent treats me like a pain in the butt if I have to call and ask a question! :D What I love is how they are so sweet and prompt when I call to transfer a booking that I've already done all the work on to them, but if I have to call with a question or problem, I'm suddenly a real pain! Can't believe I transfered my last booking for a loousy 100.00 OBC....... :(

LOL! Can't help you, but just wanted to say hi and I hope you have a wonderful cruise this weekend!!!!!! I've been smiling for the last year since my son "flew out of the nest"!!

OK Marie!! Now I know it's all your fault when an agent treats me like a pain in the butt if I have to call and ask a question! :D What I love is how they are so sweet and prompt when I call to transfer a booking that I've already done all the work on to them, but if I have to call with a question or problem, I'm suddenly a real pain! Can't believe I transfered my last booking for a loousy 100.00 OBC....... :(

LOL! Can't help you, but just wanted to say hi and I hope you have a wonderful cruise this weekend!!!!!! I've been smiling for the last year since my son "flew out of the nest"!!

Hey Jan - It's always great to see you :). Yep, what you describe is how it seems to work sometimes. I do have to say the agent that we booked our Rhapsody cruise with is wonderful.

It sounds like your ds is doing well. I'm really happy for you, Jan. Have a wonderful cruise on the Freedom. It seems everyone that comes home from that ship just loves it. And, I am envious you'll get to see Mir :).

Take Care!

Marie

Marie,

Thanks for being nice about my post. I hope you have a great cruise and I hope you are able to get out of this other booking without too much stress. Just remember, you didn't make the problem.

To everyone else who has had a bad TA, I worked with a lot of people I'd never trust my travel with. I still can't figure out how to find a good TA, my ex-boss is the only one who hasn't agravated me. (She's who has my current booking.) Good luck to everyone!!!!

3 strikes and yer out..XXX.....(as a TA for me that is...) I've had my 3 strikes......NO more...

I only book direct thru cruiseline or hotel or whatever and have had all good experiences since that time.

I feel bad for the OP, I hope she gets her cancellation complete.

have a great cruise this weekend,

Esmerelda

Hi Marie:

Do what you think you need to do about your problem with the TA....then, get on the Rhapsody and forget all about it for a week...

Try not to tear up the Rhapsody too much...we are getting on when you are getting off on the 15th.

Have a great cruise!! Oh, please do me this huge favor, when you get on the Rhapsody, can you please look for a bartender by the name of Paul English and tell him that Fausto & Charles will be on the ship the following Sunday(Oct.15). Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. He may be working at the pool bar or the Viking Crown Lounge.

Fausto

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here.........but why don't you simply call the TA to cancel the booking?:confused: I don't understand why you don't call the TA rather than send email after email if you are looking for a quick response. I'm not trying to take the side of the TA BUT its unfair to complain to RCI about a TA before even trying to communicate with the TAs office by telephone. It could be a simple matter of the TA being on holidays and a simple phone call could clear up this issue alot faster than posting about it here on CC.

Archived