Suggestion for Hal: Planning cruises when cruising

cool change

I would love if Hal provided Information on future cruises with or without a cruise consultant being there. Just to show itenerarys with port descriptions/shore excursions. I plan to enjoy the cruise I am on, but I also have DH's undivided attention. He has a big Bday coming up and we want to go somewhere new.

If I am enjoying the ship I am currently on, I want to know where she is going in the coming year without having to log on. Also, I can then come back and report to CC about past cruise and stayed plugged in for the next one. Yes, I am addicted and a water sign ( if that matters) and live in a land locked state. ( rivers dont count)

I would love if Hal provided Information on future cruises with or without a cruise consultant being there. Just to show itenerarys with port descriptions/shore excursions. I plan to enjoy the cruise I am on, but I also have DH's undivided attention. He has a big Bday coming up and we want to go somewhere new.

If I am enjoying the ship I am currently on, I want to know where she is going in the coming year without having to log on. Also, I can then come back and report to CC about past cruise and stayed plugged in for the next one. Yes, I am addicted and a water sign ( if that matters) and live in a land locked state. ( rivers dont count)

HAL does do that already in print as well. How far out are you planning?

What ship are you on>>?<<:rolleyes:

Doing research online and/or your landlocked Free Public Library will be of benefit as well.

Choice is very much deciding where is also.. once you see where you both or more want to venture then study the area as well ports of call.. etc..

Time of year is so important as well..if price is no object then have your T/A do it you pay them through commissions and tips sometimes...

I live in a pennisula state ..not landlocked except by NY State here where I reside.

We would like to check out Europe. We are not picky on where right now but would like to travel in the spring. I have gotten some information on deals at different times. Shore excursion explainations can sometimes give us a feel for what kind of trip to plan for. I havent been to Europe, DH has but not for awhile. I know I can print the shore excursion pages from their web site, but its alot to bring and having the book they give that they send with docs would be awesome. We will be on the Westerdam this fall for 2 weeks. Its a B2B, so I am not sure a cruise consultant would be there. I have worked with them before and they do not always have the information with them to look at. Lots on Alaska. I have also spent a good amount of time waiting for them to be done working with people ahead of us (limited hours). I don't want to spend time waiting to ask questions I could take care of when I get home. Just give me the goods.

The cruise consultant, who will now be on all HAL cruises, has a stock of the current brochures and cruise books by destination. Autumn, who is aboard the Westerdam is lovely. Just stop by and ask for the particular 2007 book that you want.

GN

The cruise consultant, who will now be on all HAL cruises, has a stock of the current brochures and cruise books by destination. Autumn, who is aboard the Westerdam is lovely. Just stop by and ask for the particular 2007 book that you want.

GN

Usually the future cruise consultant will also do presentations during the cruise on various destinations. On my last cruise (30 days) we had several of them on various destinations, including one that talked about future HAL plans for various ships. Believe me, this woman was being kept very busy on that cruise ... I think she booked several million dollars in business over that thirty days. She actually had a few passengers book the 2007 World Cruise on that 30-day voyage, and others book the 60-some day Pacific Rim itinerary. Those are some expensive cruises ... but we did have some very well-traveled and well "monied" passengers onboard that month.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hello,

First, I would like to thank the members of this board for the great info provided that helped to plan our cruise. Many thanks.

My family enjoyed a wonderful cruise to Alaska Sept 3, aboard the Westerdam in celebration of my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. What a special time we had and what a great cruise HAL provided.

At the end of the cruise, I saw the cruise consultant onboard which inspired my mother's interest to learn more about the possibilities of another family Christmas cruise to the Antarctic and then an extended family cruise to Alaska next year. Excited, we got in line to see him. Great!

The cruise consultant was so condescending and rude to my mother I really could not believe what I was witnessing. We are not experienced cruisers and she was trying to determine suite availability on the Rotterdam but rooms were showing sparse. When Mom suggested perhaps we should look at the following year. The consultant didn't have time to talk to her and said, in a short tone, "Why would I talk to you now about a cruise that is next year at Christmas." ???? OK.... Everything she asked about he seemed to be put out by and I guess she was not getting "it" as quickly as he would have liked. As I said, we are not experienced cruisers and we both were trying keep the suite designations, differences, and availability straight between the Rotterdam and what we knew on the Westerdam. He didn't have time to answer any questions. We left not even inquiring about the Alaska trip. We were both dismayed and could not honestly figure out why he would act like that. My brother suggested he probably didn't have to work or be pleasant to sell cruises as they would sell themselves and he didn't want to work and look things up? I don't know what was up?

I took my mother back to her suite and went back down to see the consultant. I asked him why he was so rude to my mother and that she really didn't deserve to be treated like that, she was just excited about the cruise and wanted to learn more and plan another trip. He said "I am sorry I spent the five minutes I did with her." I really could believe it and left because there was nothing to say and didn't need to engage in conversation with him.

Not one person on our cruise was ever short or impolite, quite the opposite. In fact, the crewmembers did an outstanding job and were very hospitable. We commented that the crew would probably be horrified to know someone in SALES would act this way considering how hard they all work to make for a special experience.

We really had the time of our lives and would not let this person influence our opinion of the experience. This consultant was completely unprovoked by us, we just wanted to learn of a possible new cruise adventure. I am sure we are not the only people this person has treated in this manner and eventually HAL will be on to him.

kruskat, I am shocked that your mother was treated like that! How awful! I certainly hope that went on your comment card.

Any chance you want to tell us the name of that consultant?

I know grannynurse was recently on the Westerdam, but it was after your experience. I was surprised to learn the Autumn was the cruise consultant on her cruise as Autumn was the consultant on the Volendam when I was there in July. I had wondered why she had moved to a different ship. Maybe now I know.

btw---Autumn is lovely. I'm sorry she wasn't there when you were.

Well, I hope that one experience won't keep your Mom from the cruise she wants. Antarctica is spectacular.

Dear Ruth,

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

It is a shame we missed Autumn it would have been great to visit with a knowledgable HAL rep in person. It was a bite of a missed opportunity to learn more about how things work and what was available.

Gee, it would not suprise me to hear of this "consultant" being replaced. Hmm, I wonder, that is interesting.

We didn't research cruises right away after the cruise. Currently we are looking at the Caribbean this Christmas, but it may be too late and I see the ships are filling. Also, we are still looking at the fall cruise to Alaska again. It seems as though rooms are quickly filling for fall bookings as well, is that typical? Last year, we got our rooms for our September trip in April or May. Do you think more rooms will come available after the final payment date? Perhaps we just got lucky to get the rooms we wanted that close to the cruise?

How did you enjoy your cruise on the Volendam? We loved the Westerdam but I am wondering if a smaller boat would be more enjoyable, if that is possible.:-))

Thank you again for your good thoughts.

Kathy

Dear Ruth,

I forgot to ask you if you have sailed to Antarctica? My mother is a bite hesitant after I looked up reports of crossing Drake passage and how rough the seas can get. She doesn't fair well in rough water. Other than that she would really love to go but obviously rough water sounds typical and would be a big deal for her. Too bad.:-((

Kathy

Kathy, I'll try to hit both questions in one post. First things first.

Yes! I have been to Antarctica and it was the absolute best part of the best cruise of my life. It's one long-haul flight down, and just as bad coming back. It's hot and humid in Rio and for quite a way heading down. It gets crazy cold in Antarctica. The crossing can be Rough with a capital "R". It's worth it.

I can't help you much with the Caribbean as I don't go there if I can help it. I did sail the Noordam out of NYC last March on the 10-day itinerary.

As far as the Volendam goes, I much prefer this size ship over the Vistas. Actually, I really prefer the even smaller S-class ships. The stewards get to know the passengers better because there's fewer of them to get to know. It's easier to get from here to there because it isn't as far. The lay-out seems a bit better too, in that there aren't as many jam-ups.

I hope I hit on everything you were asking about. If not, others will be along to help.

Good luck in your research.

I'm so sorry to hear about how you and your mother were treated by that cruise consultant. It sounds like HAL needs to be a lot more selective about who they put in these very important positions!

On my Norway cruise last year we visited with the cruise consultant and she gave us the "can't be bothered to deal with the likes of you" attitude. At one point, in an obvious attempt to get rid of us, she offered to have a brochure or two delivered to our cabin. It was absolutely amazing (and totally transparent) how her attitude changed when she found out we were in the penthouse! We actually consciously decided not to book our next cruise until we were back on land (and gave up the benefits of onboard booking) simply to prevent her from getting credit for another booking. We also made our opinions of her "service" perfectly clear on the end-of-cruise survey.

Archived